• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery update

Yummy, soft foods. I’m so jealous. So the cauliflower got stuck, but not the fish. It definitely sounds like a dry throat in the morning issue. Ugh, who wants to drink water in the morning and THEN wait 30 minutes to eat?

Thank you for sharing your portions (eaten). That part sounds tricky. Did you get any signals that you were full? How did you know when to stop?

Yummy, soft foods. I’m so jealous. So the cauliflower got stuck, but not the fish. It definitely sounds like a dry throat in the morning issue. Ugh, who wants to drink water in the morning and THEN wait 30 minutes to eat?

Thank you for sharing your portions (eaten). That part sounds tricky. Did you get any signals that you were full? How did you know when to stop?
No, my scrambled egg that morning felt stuck. I was fine with dinner.

I just started getting a full feeling in the last few days, and for me it just is a normal full feelings. I am 4 weeks post-op and eating about 4oz of food at a time (3x a day), sometimes it is no problem and sometimes I can't finish it.
Even if I don't feel full I still stop at my 4oz serving and I feel fine and satisfied.

How are you doing after surgery? I saw you had it a few days ago but haven't seen an update.

Oops, that was a zombie brain mistake. I meant scrambled eggs (duh). I’m so hungry all the time and craving real food. Food commercials drive me crazy! I’m so over sweet shakes. I didn’t share an update because everything is so normal. No pain, never took Tylenol, just one Gas -X chewable at bedtime. We went for a 12 minute walk yesterday and that wore me out. Took a nap afterwards. How is your energy level? Did it kickstart once you got to eat soft foods?

Oops, that was a zombie brain mistake. I meant scrambled eggs (duh). I’m so hungry all the time and craving real food. Food commercials drive me crazy! I’m so over sweet shakes. I didn’t share an update because everything is so normal. No pain, never took Tylenol, just one Gas -X chewable at bedtime. We went for a 12 minute walk yesterday and that wore me out. Took a nap afterwards. How is your energy level? Did it kickstart once you got to eat soft foods?
A good update is still an update! Glad you are doing well and no pain.
Food commercials are crazy, luckily I watch mostly recorded or streamed TV so no commercials.
Shakes do get old quick but I haven't had any food cravings at all. Even when I get hungry, it is just hunger. There's nothing I am like ooo I want a pancake or anything like that. Just eat or drink my shake and I am completely satisfied. I hear some people have cravings and massive head hunger. I am grateful have not. I hope it passes and gets easier for you.
My energy was harsh for a good week. Even brushing my teeth I was beat! it got better each day. Then my first day back to work was hell. I was so exhausted in 3 hours I had to leave. Since it got better each day even before soft foods.

Update: 4 weeks
I drink a shake for breakfast every day since surgery, but this weekend I tried to eat actual food and it did not go well. It felt like every bite was stuck in my throat and felt like a huge hard lump in my throat. It was scrambled eggs, which I have eaten before then with no problem.
The only thing I can think of is that I need to drink before I eat in the morning which is weird to me.

I am going to test it again this weekend and see if the same thing happens. Has anyone else had something like this?
I know people say it feels like their foods get stuck but in my case it was ONLY that one time when I ate in the morning before drinking anything.

One thing I have noticed is that foods eaten earlier in the day were harder for me than later on. Try the same foods you tried for breakfast but eat them at lunch instead. It just could be that it isn't the food but the time of day.

One thing I have noticed is that foods eaten earlier in the day were harder for me than later on. Try the same foods you tried for breakfast but eat them at lunch instead. It just could be that it isn't the food but the time of day.
Yea, that is exactly what I did and had no problems. It is so weird!! I am sticking to the shakes during the work week because I don't want to deal with it before work. But I will try again over the weekends and see if it gets better or if it is just the new way of life. I am not much of a breakfast person so really it is not a big deal but sometimes we get up and have a nice breakfast. So, it might be a bummer sometimes!
Thanks for the tip.

My only other issue is vitamins! The chewable are unbearable!! I have talked to my team and they are not too concerned this early but for the long term it will be a problem. At 6 weeks I am allowed capsules so I am hoping that I will be able to tolerate them when the time comes. I usually ate the gummies but my team so no gummies.

Did you ever figure out a vitamin regimine that works for you? I am getting ready to buy all of the vitamins I will need after surgery!

Did you ever figure out a vitamin regimine that works for you? I am getting ready to buy all of the vitamins I will need after surgery!
I am allowed to swallow capsules now so I started them over the weekend and haven't had any issues. I am taking a bariatric one a day and 500mg calcium 3x per day. I don't know if it is working because I haven't had any blood work yet (only 6 weeks post op) so I may have to tweak my regimen but for now that's where I am at.

I am allowed to swallow capsules now so I started them over the weekend and haven't had any issues. I am taking a bariatric one a day and 500mg calcium 3x per day. I don't know if it is working because I haven't had any blood work yet (only 6 weeks post op) so I may have to tweak my regimen but for now that's where I am at.
wow is it difficult to remember to take 3 capsules of the calcium per day? I was hoping to take as few as possible lol - morning pills I have no issue with because im already on mood stuff - but it's the multiple ones a day that worry me.

wow is it difficult to remember to take 3 capsules of the calcium per day? I was hoping to take as few as possible lol - morning pills I have no issue with because im already on mood stuff - but it's the multiple ones a day that worry me.
Well I am hoping I can cut back on the calcium but my team said to start with 1500 mg a day.
I have to take a gallbladder (Ursodiol)med in the morning and at night for at least 6 months (per surgeon to prevent gall stones)
I take birth control at lunch every day and I take my normal meds at bedtime.
So with those 3 normal things adding the calcium wasn't a big deal.
The only "new" part was the multi vitamin because mine has iron so I had to have a 2 hour wait between the iron and calcium.

So I take the 1st calcium when I first wake up with the Ursodiol (530am)
Multivitamin when I get to work with my breakfast shake around 730am
Birth control and 2nd calcium at lunch 12pm
Pepcid, 2nd Ursodiol, blood pressure med and 3rd calcium at bedtime

The pepcid and Ursodiol are preventative from surgeon for approx. 4-6 months. Of course, I am hoping as I continue as I lose weight I will be off the blood pressure meds. I want to try to get a partial hysterectomy so then the birth control will be done too. (Have lady issues without the BC)

At that point, it is only vitamins! BIG GOALS!

Well, I guess I had a NSV because the weight is being stubborn as hell! Which is crazy because I ONLY eat things on my list and still not hitting my calorie goal. Although, I am hitting fluid and protein goals every day.
Anyway, I got home from work yesterday and changed and realized my jeans were loose. I wore them anyway but by the time I got to the bottom of the steps they were falling off and ridiculously big and sloppy. Long story short, it inspired me to go thru my clothes because I have a full range of sizes from a 26 all the way down to a 12 from all the times I lost weight. So, I was able to pull and donate and entire trash bag of clothes and went closet shopping for smaller sizes! Maybe it is time to re-measure myself to help boost me up from the lack of weight loss.

Well, I guess I had a NSV because the weight is being stubborn as hell! Which is crazy because I ONLY eat things on my list and still not hitting my calorie goal. Although, I am hitting fluid and protein goals every day.
Anyway, I got home from work yesterday and changed and realized my jeans were loose. I wore them anyway but by the time I got to the bottom of the steps they were falling off and ridiculously big and sloppy. Long story short, it inspired me to go thru my clothes because I have a full range of sizes from a 26 all the way down to a 12 from all the times I lost weight. So, I was able to pull and donate and entire trash bag of clothes and went closet shopping for smaller sizes! Maybe it is time to re-measure myself to help boost me up from the lack of weight loss.
That's great news!! Yay baggy pants haha!

I keep wearing too big pants, but they are "lounge" pants with elastic waist. Now it's time to follow your good example and put on better fitting ones. Great NSV!

I keep wearing too big pants, but they are "lounge" pants with elastic waist. Now it's time to follow your good example and put on better fitting ones. Great NSV!
I did keep my lounge pants with draw strings that were too big. Most people like leggings and tight pants, I prefer loose fit lounge pants and tigher jeans. The lounge pants are coming close to their limits too though, even with the drawstring extra tight I am always pulling them up. haha

Back