• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery update

Update: 2 weeks out!
Overall I say I am doing great. Hitting my fluid every day but still working on protein. I am up to 52g protein.
Started pureed yesterday but I was scared so I only ate 2 oz. Of pureed egg salad. It was delicious! I had no issues with it. I took about 25 minutes to eat it all and everything seemed fine. Today I am going to try some pureed chicken salad and see how I do.
Just trying to take it slow, I don't want to vomit. I haven't at all and prefer to keep it that way. Haha

One thing is that I really can't tell I am full. I'm still not hungry at all but eat because I need to. But I really don't know how to tell I'm full. I didn't get any type of sensation or full feeling. I ate about half of the egg salad and waiting 10 minutes to see if I felt something. I just stopped at 2oz because my team says start with 2 oz servings.

My follow up is tomorrow and I meet with the dietician too so I will talk about it and Mayne get some pointers.

Down 52 lbs!

Holy cow, 52 pounds! That is F-ing amazing! I feel the same way about vomiting. I don’t want to eat too much and find out the hard way. I’ve read that most people get the hiccups when they’re full or their nose starts to run. Another sign is burping. I really hope my body gives me some kind of sign. Fingers crossed. Surgery in exactly one week.

I didn't feel full or hungry for the first couple months after gastric bypass, so I had to rely on measuring my food and timing my meals, i.e. making sure my meals lasted 1/2 hour. As long as you meet your protein & water goals daily, wait 30 minutes before & after meals to drink water, and avoid grazing, you should do fine with the amounts your team suggests.

You likely will get the sensation of body hunger back after the 1st couple months. Hopefully by then, you will have begun listening to your body's hunger signals to distinguish between true hunger & head hunger, our old way of eating. Congrats on your amazing progress so far! ❤❤

Holy cow, 52 pounds! That is F-ing amazing! I feel the same way about vomiting. I don’t want to eat too much and find out the hard way. I’ve read that most people get the hiccups when they’re full or their nose starts to run. Another sign is burping. I really hope my body gives me some kind of sign. Fingers crossed. Surgery in exactly one week.
Oh Suzanne, you are almost there. Did you ever think it would never happen? Guess what? It will, finally. Can't wait to hear more about your experiences. ❤❤

Thank you. That's 52 since I started the process. I have lost 17 since surgery.
Good luck on you upcoming surgery!!

Update: Hello everyone!

So I started back to work yesterday. (3 weeks out) I basically came back with the agreement to do what I can and don't push it. Let me tell you.. I lasted 3.5 hours and was about to collapse! I got so worn out so fast it was amazing. I went home and laid down and slept like a rock for 3 hours! I was exhausted. I only made myself wake up so I could sleep last night. WHEW! So far today it has been 4 hours, I am a little worn out but nothing like yesterday! Trying to get myself back to full time for next week and to be back to normal.

I am still on pureed foods and frankly it sucks. I never want to eat, but I force myself to just enough to hit my protein goals. I am tired of the same things over and over. I am ready for the soft food phase where I can switch it up a bit. I am REALLY looking forward to cheese! haha I am like already planning meals!

I haven't had any issues with anything I have eaten so far. As far as meats I have had eggs, chicken, ground turkey, ground beef and tuna. Other stuff has been greek yogurt (which I really don't prefer but use it when I can) mayo, mustard, hot sauce, black beans, refried beans and still no issues tolerating any of it. I do notice that spicy is spicier not. Like I am not used to it anymore.

I found it is hard to hit those protein goals when you can only eat such a small amount. I am eating 1/4 cup at a time. 3 times a day. My teams says to eat 5-6 times a day, 60-80g protein but 500 calories max. It is HARD to meet those requirements. I drink 1 protein shake a day and I am so sick of them I really hope to meet the protein goal without the shakes in the future.

My only other issue is vitamins! The chewable are unbearable!! I have talked to my team and they are not too concerned this early but for the long term it will be a problem. At 6 weeks I am allowed capsules so I am hoping that I will be able to tolerate them when the time comes. I usually ate the gummies but my team so no gummies.

Anyway, overall I think I am doing great! Everything is moving forward.
PS: I only lost 2 lbs on my 3rd week which sucked but I was ok about it.

Total lost since surgery: 22lbs.

Glad to hear your update. It's good that you didn't have to work a full day! Easing back into your routine is very smart, though I am sure there are some that don't have the choice. Don't worry about only losing 2 pounds, this week. Your body is adjusting AND there is such a thing as a 3 week stall, so 2 pounds is good!

You're KILLING IT!! Good for you. You will not always have to have protein shakes. I know a lot of people still drink them long after surgery but I remember stopping them fairly early. Now, I might have one as creamer in my coffee if the mood strike me .. or I know my meal plan needs a boost that day.

You should definitely try eating more often, even if while doing so you have to do smaller portion, especially if you want to give up protein shakes later. I pretty much eat every few hours, even 2 years out. I find that if I skip it and allow myself to get really hungry, that's when I tend to overeat or just make bad choices. Kind of like going to the grocery store hungry lol

Keep up the good work.

Update: 4 weeks

Not much to update. Still doing good and still hitting goals. Went 2 weeks without loosing weight, but my weight check this morning reflected a 3 lb loss. Better than nothing and hopefully it means I am over the stall. ( I weigh myself every Monday)

I drink a shake for breakfast every day since surgery, but this weekend I tried to eat actual food and it did not go well. It felt like every bite was stuck in my throat and felt like a huge hard lump in my throat. It was scrambled eggs, which I have eaten before then with no problem.
The only thing I can think of is that I need to drink before I eat in the morning which is weird to me.

I am going to test it again this weekend and see if the same thing happens. Has anyone else had something like this?
I know people say it feels like their foods get stuck but in my case it was ONLY that one time when I ate in the morning before drinking anything.

I am onto soft foods and frankly it is WONDERFUL!

I started 1 day early with my surgeons permission, I didn't want to start on a work day in case I had issues I was home.

Yesterday for dinner we made baked Mahi Mahi and homemade cauliflower mac-n-chz. I made a plate of 4 oz mahi and 1/2 cup mac then looked down and literally laughed out loud. Told my wife I need half of this off of my plate, it is so crowded and double what I eat now. My original plate was a perfect plate of healthy portions and only 250 cals but not for me yet. I am only eating about 4 oz at a time still. The new me is crazy but interesting how naturally I made a regular sized plate and how much quicker I realized it! What I found the most interesting is that I instantly noticed how full my plate looked and it made me uncomfortable. I couldn't just not eat half, I literally needed it off of my plate. I ended up with 2 oz mahi and 1/4 cup of the mac and still couldn't finish it all at once. (128 cals and 18g protein)

PS: Cauliflower mac is FAR from a mac-n-chz substitute! It was very good, but more of just cauliflower with a cheese sauce. It did not remind me of real mac-n-chz at all and could never be a replacement for it. But, I will be making it again, very yummy.

Back