• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Swelling!

Shawnabutler7

Hi everyone, I'm new and just had a gastro bypass surgery 6 days ago. I developed some major bruising and swelling on my left side. I'm a little worried. Is this normal?

Give your surgeon a call in the morning, I really cant remember swelling but I do remember a little bruising and a lot of tenderness. If you are running a fever go see a doctor immidiately though. Remember it is a major surgery, I was on pain medicine for a week after I got out of the hospital. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

I had some swelling due to "normal" fluid retention around the surgery site and had to release the fluid twice a day for about 5 days. It came out of the largest incision which the surgeon said was used to pull all of the debris out during surgery. It was like a geiser *LOL* What a mess!!! Plus I had 24 pounds of fluid retention from the IV's that I had to get rid of at home with dieuritics but that was in my legs. I had no brusing at all though. I think Tom's advice is spot on, call your surgeon and don't wait to seek medical attention if you are running a temperature.

Please let us know what the outcome is.

I agree, call your doctor! I didn't have alot of swelling, but I did have some rather large bruising. I am still bruising due to Levonox injections...thank goodness I only have 2 left. I still have a tiny bit of drainage out of the largest incision, but I no longer need to put bandages on it and it's almost totally closed up now. Take care of yourself and make sure you get ahold of your doctor. keep us posted please!

Swelling

Well I went to see my surgeon and had blood work done and everything is good. I had had some blood count lose in the hospital but by the time I went home my blood count went back up. So blood that was lost had went into my fat tissue and now that the fat is dispersing the has come to the surface like a bruise, a big nasty bruise, but all is good.

Well that is good to hear. It just shows how different we all are even when it comes tro the little things like that in the healing prosses. :cool: Tom

Back