• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tacos

TwoMas

Ingredients:

1 Lb lean ground beef (10-7% fat) or substitute Buffalo, Deer, Elk etc..

1 Tbls minced garlic

1 1/2 Tbls chillie powder (hot or mild)

1 1/2 Tbls cumin powder

1 Tbls Salt

1 Tbls lemon juice

3/4 Cup pico de gallo (diced- tomato, oinion and cilantro and jalepeno to taste)

To prepare:

Brown meat over medium heat with garlic, chillie & cumin powders and salt. When browned add pico de gallo and lemon juice mixing in well while on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Then serve 1/3 cup scoop (approx 3 oz) or 1/2 cup scoop (approx 4 oz) warmed corn or flour totilla shell(s).

You can add more or less salt and spices to taste as you work with the recipe. I refrigerate the leftovers, it is good when mixed with an egg for a quick breakfast burrito. or can serve a familly of 4 quite esily.

tacos sound delicious, aren't flour shells hard to digest? I assume reg. hard shells are a no no forever? I am glad I like eating the hamb. with spices even without a shell, as I read post daily I am realizing there will be alot of stuff I will never be allowed to eat. I just reacently saw where pasta was a no? I know everybody's situation is different,and once I get my surgery I quess I 'll learn by trial and error, or be fortunate enough to digest a few of my favorites. I have never seen anyone post about pickles. I love dill pickles sweet pickles just about any kind, my kids told me" mom what is gonna happen, you won't be able to have pickles again< I 've told them I don't know no one else has mentioned this food, anyone out there love pickles like me? I also love lemons with salt and fresh home grown tomatoes.has anybody had any experience with any of these foods? I love having a garden and the thoughts of growing my favorite food s and not being able to eat them, oh well the long term results will out weigh anything I have to give up.
Hope you're having a good day.
Donna

Donna-I also love pickles and tomatos. I usually have a tomato garden but couldn't manage one last summer. I have a typical sized back yard and utilize every inch of sunshine I can when planting my veggies. I really missed my home grown tomatos and eggplant. The yard looked naked last summer. Funny thing, I was just thinking about pickles the other day. I don't see any reason why we can't enjoy pickles and tomatos after surgery. Everything in moderation though. I am just now finishing up the phase 2 meal plan so pickles are not an option yet but I fully intend to have some down the road. You will probably find your cravings will be much less than you can imagine after surgery because you will only be able to eat very small portions. After 1 or 2 small bites you will start feeling full. It sounds too good to be true doesn't it? I promise it's true. I thought I was going to go nuts with cravings but so far I am only craving pasta but I'm not about to make myself sick by trying it this soon. After your surgery things will fall into place in a way that will allow you to manage your cravings. It's all part of the experience :)

Hi, it's Tom here. Tomatoes and pickles are fine, I mix diced dills or pickle relish and a tbls of lo fat mayo with my tuna and have it in a wrap or on rye crisp or some other whole grain crackers, I waited about 6 months before I ate any crackes or tortillias though. For the first 6 months I ate very little starch and then slowly started with rice, then corn, then tested different breads, and finally pasta:( that wasn't good, I even tried twice thinking the first time was a mistake, it wasn't:eek: I am still afraid to eat any kind of food on a bun or bread and stick with corn or flour tortilla. I haven't had any trouble with fruits or veggies, I just make sure to eat my protien first. :cool: Tom

HI Pat HI TOM

thank you both for your response to my? about pickles and tomato's. My new journey is looking good, thanks to wonderful people like yourselves whom are open and kind and are willing to share and answer so many ?, I hope you both have a good Friday and a great weekend too.
Donna

patti here..tomatoes are so good and if you like mexican food pico de gallo s great nothingm more thana chopped onions,diced tomatoes,cilantro and alittle fresh limejuice

patti here....I nver acquired a taste for flour tortillas and today if I want tacos I make a taco salad with a few baked tortilla chipswith a bed of refried beans,lettuce,tomatoes,and hamburger[ seasoned]and topped with pico de gallo.occasionly I use some fat free ssour creamand a slice of avacado/lot'sf protein and little fat. speaking of which turkey roll links and hambergerpatties are really good in place of hamburger.

donna pasta is calle aslider food because it slides right through your pouch is picked up by the small intestine and converts the starch to sur which eventually acts like fat stores i your liver. this doen't take long and you are hungry again. It is easy for me to ssit back from pasta because my downfall was cake,pie,cookies,candy and I still have cravings for those but I don't like the dumping I get with them. I am 8 years out and 40 lbsover my goal weight. all kinds of reasons but my point being we can never be offguard of trigger foods and now I am stuck and have been for several months. Just keep doing what the dr.tells you and come to the forum frequently. patti

patti here....I nver acquired a taste for flour tortillas and today if I want tacos I make a taco salad with a few baked tortilla chipswith a bed of refried beans,lettuce,tomatoes,and hamburger[ seasoned]and topped with pico de gallo.occasionly I use some fat free ssour creamand a slice of avacado/lot'sf protein and little fat. speaking of which turkey roll links and hambergerpatties are really good in place of hamburger.

What are turkey roll links? I'm starting my grocery list for phase 4 and beyond and can use some ideas. I have to tell you that a taco salad sounds real good to me but I have to wait a couple more weeks for that. I will be using a chopped up Boca Burger (veggie burger) pattie in place of ground beef. I have some canned chicken, turkey, tuna and some frozen veggies to see me through phase 3 (pureed foods) which I start on Monday. Believe it or not I ate a few wheat thins and a mozzerella string cheese yesterday and today. I tried one cracker then waited a while before trying a few more. I know I'm pushing the envelope a bit but the phase 2 food choices were not satisfying my hunger yesterday so I needed something a bit more solid (wish it was pasta *LOL*). Yesterday was the first day that I actually felt a little hungry and the full liquid choices felt like I hadn't eaten anything. I'm at the point now that I can drink an 11 oz. protein drink in 20 minutes and barely feel like I've eaten. Did anyone else go through this while transitioning to solid food?

donna pasta is calle aslider food because it slides right through your pouch is picked up by the small intestine and converts the starch to sur which eventually acts like fat stores i your liver. this doen't take long and you are hungry again. It is easy for me to ssit back from pasta because my downfall was cake,pie,cookies,candy and I still have cravings for those but I don't like the dumping I get with them. I am 8 years out and 40 lbsover my goal weight. all kinds of reasons but my point being we can never be offguard of trigger foods and now I am stuck and have been for several months. Just keep doing what the dr.tells you and come to the forum frequently. patti

HI Patti
thanks for letting me know about pasta, everyday I find out more information and it's helping me, thank you. I too have issues with candy and chocolate. I wish I'd never been introduced to sugar or candy, but I'm 55 and have spend many year eating that junk, but doing better now, Iknow once I have the surgery there will be no "cheat day's" where a snack size chocolate is kinda ok, it's been stressed to me that sugar is a definite NO, and so is candy. No one has mentioned sugar free gum, is it considered ok? I asked the dietican and she said she didn't like people chewing gum because of the zorbitol( sugar free stuff) but no one else has mentioned gum. what is your opinion on it?

Please do not chew gum for a long, long time. If you accidently swallow gum you will be plugged up like a bus stop toilet.

The gum can get stuck in the very small opening from your pouch to your small intestine and could very well need surgical intervention. I don't mean to scare you but the nutritionist touched base on this because she has seen it happen more than once.

HI Pat 99
thanks for info, about gum, I must add that to my list of things I can't have,I rely on gum now to keep myself from eating at times plus I just love the taste of spearmint and refeshing gums, I see I have alot of things that aren't acceptable,but with everyone helping me with what's ok and what isn't, I think I'll do fine, it's all about accepting "change" and all for the better. I quess sugar free hard candies are off the list til much later down the road for the same reasons, I know it's all about chewing everything up in to the smallest pieces as possible, . I hope everything is going well for you. It's been a beautiful day here, sunshine and a little windy, but spring has arrived. yeahhhhhhh

turkey roll links are seasoned turkeynin the shape of regular sausage links...mmm yummy.....transitioning to solid was a little longer process 8 years ago with my openRNY and I remember eating cream of wheat when I felt hungry...I THINK.that was a long time agopatti

you will be surprised how little things like junk food will sound after surgery. If you decide to try it be prepared for anasty little gremlin called dumping syndrome or what is worse is to have no reaction to it and easly keep your wight. After about 5 years I could so sweets in small doses and having no resistance to carbss can cause a regain like mine. I have been struggling to lose a 50 lb regain and now in40 lbs view of my goal. sugar free gum is ok patti

Back