• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The begining of the rest of my life!!!

seadla

Hi. I am a 60 yr old professional woman. For the last 25-30 yyrs of my life, I have been so overweight; going up and down on diets but never being able to keep it off. I have 3 grown children who the youngest 2 have never seen me thin nor have any of my 3 grandchildren. I was in a car accident in 1995, had spinal surgery in 1998 and have previously had 3 ankle surgeries form a quadrulple break. I have now acquired severe spinal degeneration, osteoarthritis in my ankle and hip. In December, I had an epidural in my spine for pain and the 2 in January of this yr. I gained 30 lbs from the steroids within that time. I was out of breath walking just one block, was not able to run around with my grandkids and was constatnly in pain.It was a viscious circle...epidural, pain releif then weight gain and more pain. I finally decided February 1st, 2012 after discussing it with my primary MD, who has known me for 25 yrs, that I needed a drastic change in my life because this was nit working. I was not happy with myself or how I functioned so made my Surgeon appt, saw all 7 MDs required with a couple of weeks, got approved for surgery right away and just had my sleeve surgery on Wednesday, March 28. I was discharged from hopsital on Sunday, April 1st and today is a wk post surgery. I have not really been in pain, but today had a bad day. I had laproscopic surgery and have 5 incisions plus the one in my bellybutton (that's the one that bothers me). Thy took off bandages before I left hospital, but left sterastrips on saying that thy would fall of as would stitches disolve. Only 2 steristrips have come off and I don't see stiches so I assume that they dissolved already. I guess I am being neurotic but am scared of infection and stitches dissolving too quickly.

Yesterday was my 1st day I was able to eat all my (little) meals, snacks and protein drink, but today had trouble eating 1 scrambled egg and the protein drink. I don't want to force anything and am just chalking this up to having a bad day since it is only a wk after surgery. Amazingly enough I have lost 14 lbs but probably because I am not able to eat much. Looking for support and conncting with others who had this surgery to help get through this transition.
:mad:

Seadla-Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on making this life altering decision. You are certainly in the right place for support with others who have had the same surgery as you have. I am very close in age to you and had the RNY not the vertical sleeve like you. But I think I can speak in general terms of weight loss surgery to help you understand things. It was 3 1/2 weeks after surgery until I could eat anything like an egg and even then I could only eat a little more than half of it. I'm 5 weeks out now and can eat almost anything on my list of acceptable foods for the phase I am in. You have to take things one day at a time in baby steps. As you heal you will be able to handle different foods. This being said everyone is different and recovers at their own pace.

Your weight loss is fantastic and you are doing great!!! If you still have concerns about how your diet is going or about the sterastrips you can always call your surgeon's office. The stitches are probably internal so you won't be able to see any of them. I'm sure you have your first follow up visit coming up soon and you can address your concerns at that time. Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Welcome Seadla! Congratulations on the weight loss, I also had teh RnY. It sounds like you are on track but like Pat said make sure to have you doctor adress any concernes you have with your stitches, I used antibiotic ointment on my inscisions and they healed up alright. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

hi seadla

sounds like you've just began your new healthy journey and already loosing weight, just keep telling yourself by this time next year the "grandchildren will have to chase you", i am still waiting for my surgery date, but i love this room and all the inspringing people i meet here daily. Keep us posted how you are doing. Praying you have a good day
donna

Back