• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The great outdoors

Pat99

I thought some of you might like to share activities you enjoy doing outdoors. I love to fish, boat, camp and garden. I used to walk the nature trails too but I need a total hip replacement so this is on hold for a while. I fish mostly from the shore these days because I had to sell my old pontoon last year. I used to ice fish but not anymore. The ice in Michigan can be "iffy".

I have a Coleman pop-up camper that I use when I can get someone to come along. Even more fun is to invite a small group of ppl to meet there and reserve sites next to each other. Campers are usually a friendly bunch so there are no lack of friends to share a campfire or fish story with. The camper has an attached awning and an optional screened in porch which comes in handy if it rains or at night when the mosquitoes hatch. Unfortunately, the porch takes at least 2 people to set up. I make a heck of a good campfire. I make firestarters by rubbing plain vaseline into cotton balls. Make ahead and store in a covered coffee can away from heat. Sometimes I use a tripod for cooking over the campfire and to keep the coffee and water hot. The camper also has an outdoor stove which comes in handy if you invite ppl for dinner. If you have a gang someone can help cook with the extra stove outside. I also bring a very small portable propane grill and a LOT of tin foil.

I usually plant a small vegetable garden in my back yard. I've been told I grow the best tasting tomatos (and the biggest weeds), even when everyone else is having problems. Everyone wants to know my secrets. My answer is always the same. Rotate plant types. Buy the plants, stick them in the ground with some leaves or straw mixed into soil, mulch around each plant with leaves/straw/newspaper sheets, water when needed, and keep the weeds pulled. One application of generic all purpose fertilizer at the time of planting (1/2 the recommended amount for small plants) and one more application mid-season. If you get a lot of rain you will need to fertilize once more. Just look at the growth and if it slows down then add fertilizer. One more thing, add 2-3 crushed egg shells or 2-3 broken up antacid tablets at the time of planting (put into a baggie, cover baggie with cloth and smash with hammer). New research shows that calcium prevents those annoying black spots on the skin. I will use a small amount of Sevin dust if I see a lot of pests but my yard toads usually take care of them, especially the slugs. That's it. If you fuss over tomatos too much you end up with problems. I also have good luck with eggplants and poblano peppers. No luck at all with cucumbers the last 3 years.
I JUST WANT TO MENTION TO EVERYONE THAT KEVIN HAS MADE US A NICE CHAT ROOM. PLEASE STOP IN THE CHAT ROOM WHEN YOU VISIT THE FORUMS SO WE CAN ALL GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.

Last edited:
I love the outdoors as well. I am an avid gardener and I love to camp, although I'm a tenter. I find being in the woods is like going to church. Love it! I'm still not able to eat raw fruits and vegetables, so even thinking about gardening is depressing to me, but that should change by summer. This summer I will be able to hike and camp! Yeah.

Tina-I see you're from the great state of Michigan too! Being campers we know our state bird is really the mosquito don't we? LOL

Here's a thought. If enough campers from Michigan join the forum maybe we could plan a camping trip someplace. It would be a lot of fun. It will be interesting to see what everyone has for meals. I'm thinking no more hotdogs, s'mores, watermelon, toasted marshmallows, roasted corn, etc... LOL

Michigan

Yes the state bird is truely disputable. I would throw in a vote for the black flies, as up here they are as big as birds. I'd love to plan a midstate camping trip sometime. What to eat, hummmmm..... I Love a challange! I think some campfire stews, Fish, and tinfoil dinners would all work.
Tina

Yea, the biting black flies are the worst. I spent a few summers staying in a rented log cabin that was someplace between Ontanogan and the Porcupine Mountains. Lake Superior was less than 1/2 mile away so we would go to the beach everyday. The flies would converge in swarms and we had to jump into the lake for refuge but not before being bitten from head to toe. My mom packed vodka *LOL* Once we got out of the water our bodies were numb from the ice cold water but after a few minutes when the feeling came back the pain and itching from the fly bites was unbearable. We would rub mom's vodka all over each other and when that didn't work we started drinking it *LOL* After a while everything was OK :)

i love camping, but being fat really puts a damper on activities. this summer i hope to be camping, running, jumping, and doing it all~!

i love camping, but being fat really puts a damper on activities. this summer i hope to be camping, running, jumping, and doing it all~!
Hang In There
I was like that just 2 years ago-Went to Daytona and couldn't get around-everything hurt-could hardly get on the charter boat-not this year-I see you're from Pa too-I fish down around Long Level and run my boat out of there-can't wait for boat weather this year!

Hi Pat 99
I think I know you from somewhere?????? I love to camp also. I used to have several Coleman POPUPS but sold them. Now I am the proud owner of a copper Canyon 4 man tent!!!!! sported by a 2011 Honda Fit that that is RED and will Travel 10,000 miles this coming may. I am leaving for a wild trip to Colorado camping the Rocky Mountain National Park, for a few days then staying in the Denver area visiting friends as I have lived there for 24 years. I now live in florida. Then Ill leave and go to Chicago and get a dose of our Daughter, Then come to Michigan for 10 days not knowning where i am going to be there. I grew up in Benton harbor. I have a sister in Dewitt so Ill head there for a day or 2 and not over stay my welcome. Probably go to Port Huron and see my Dr Cousin and play on his boat for a bit. Then who knows where Ill go.
I to am starting to garden a bit. I started a small herb garden as I love to cook with fresh herbs and living in Florida I can do that all year!!!!!!
Where in Michigan do you live?????
Carla

Carla-I don't think we know each other based on where you grew up. I live just west of Detroit but was born in Detroit and attended school there. Your trip sounds like lots of fun. I like tent camping too but as I got older I needed more comfort. When I used to "rough it" tent camping I used to take everything but the kitchen sink and fridge with me. Electric heater, electric blankets, toaster, electric fry pan, cots, blow up mattresses, bike, fishing gear, etc. I had to get a car top carrier to fit everything that wouldn't go into the trunk and back seat *LOL* Those were the days!!!

Well I guess it's time to jump in and talk about the great outdoors here in Texas. I love to camp and fish, though we don't do it as much as we did when the kids were growing up. I am a tenter too, to me being in a camper isn't camping. Growing up we were always camping somewhere. Looks like I better start getting some camping supplies, now that our oldest grandson is 5 we want to take him camping. He thinks going in a camper is camping and I know he likes to fish, but only if they are biting or he is catching them. I haven't been to Michigan in 17 years. About the same for Florida too. I was born in Cocoa Beach, but lived all over the place. St. Petersburg is where I love the most other than Disney World in Orlando. I still have family in Florida, though we don't talk to them any more.

Let's see, I don't have a green thumb so a veggie garden is out, though we have talked about it. My daughter loves working in the yard so maybe her and I can plant one now. We have neighbors that are always bringing us fresh veggies from their gardens, sometimes we find a bag hanging on our door filled with squash, zucchini and peppers. I'm ready for someone to send us some cantaloupe or watermelon...lol

They say our state bird is the mockingbird, but in reality it has to be the mosquito too. They are vicious out here. We also have mosquito hawks or what are called mosquito eaters and they are huge. But it doesn't seem like they do a good job of eating them....lol

Gardening is a wonderful family activity. It not only provides fresh produce but you get execise plus if you garden with someone you have the opportunity to talk to them in a relaxed environment.

Although I mentioned I wasn't going to plant a garden this year I went out and bought ONE grape tomato plant yesterday *LOL* If the ground dries out enough I will plant it today. I just love tomatoes and use them almost every day. I like them in salads and also use them in cooking or just for snacking. The price of tomatoes around here is ridiculious so at least I will have my own private source in about 2 months :) :) :)

I store my pop-up camper in my garage. It's been sitting there unused for 4 camping seasons. That's about the time my hip got so bad (need hip replacement) that I couldn't manage hooking up the camper to my SUV and then setting it up and taking it down, packing and unpacking anymore. I got to thinking the other day that I really need to set up another consult with the orthopedic surgeon and set a surgery date. My last consult was over 5 years ago and since then I have qualified for an electric wheelchair and can no longer get around with just a cane. I didn't care for the first surgeon I saw, no bedside manner whatsoever based on how he handled me like a piece of meat during my exam. It was a good thing he had a tilting X-ray table. I wouldn't have been able to climb onto a standard table because of the pain I had due to his roughness during the exam. By the time he was done with me I had to sit in the waiting room for over an hour before I could get into my car unassisted.

My PCP gave me the name of a different orthopedic surgeon 2 months ago and from my research he seems very qualified. I just can't seem to get motivated enough to set up the consult. Does anyone else have problems putting off medical exams, etc? I really would love to go camping again and you would think the pain I go through on a daily basis would be enough motivation. Any suggestions would be helpful to me.

Hi, I had a great day today. Out shopping without hurting, usually I have to leave before I get done. The pain gets that bad. But now since the surgery I am enjoying shopping!

Hi, I had a great day today. Out shopping without hurting, usually I have to leave before I get done. The pain gets that bad. But now since the surgery I am enjoying shopping!

Woo Hoo! Tonja! Look what you've done!!!

Congratulations.

Pat99 and all the others who like to camp- are you aware of RVing Women organization? It includes campers of all sorts with tents, pop-ups, all kinds of RVs. You join Rving Women and then join a chapter that includes your home state or you can join any chapter you want, like FL if you winter in FL in your RV. You camp with women, have campfires with women, and eat pot lucks or go out to dinner all with the women there. I LOVE IT!!! The woman are married, divorced, separated, widowed, single, gay. Some join to just camp without the their husbands and learn how to use the camper or tent on their own so not dependent on the hubby/boyfriend, some travel solo all the time, some join with a girlfriend etc. There are many meetups and very supportive for the members! It has changed our lives, we go out at least once a month with RVW and usually with our Chapter which is the Northeaast Network which includes New England states and Ontario, New Brunswick, NovaScotia in Canada. There are chapters all over the US. We site is www. Rvingwomen.org

Thank Sandie. I'll have to check it out. Once I decide to have hip surgeyr and recover I'll probably be raring to go camping. I don't like to go by myself so it would be nice to find someone close to home who would like to share accomodations. When you pull a camper it's also nice to have a second set of eyes while driving.

I would say GET THAT HIP REPLACED, it is a piece of cake according to my spouse and ex spouse who both had hip replacement and knee replacements and said that the hip was easy, very little pain, immediately said that they had MUCH less discomfort post op than pre op so get it done and get on your feet and come camping, Join RVW, and a chapter in Michigan and you will have instant camping friends and will help you set up if you need help. POP UPs take some time to set up and take down making ready for travel. YOU will be so glad you had the hip replaced, my spouse and ex both say they should have done it much earlier but were afraid of the pain, and the amount of time out of work and both were unfounded really.
Hope you find a doc you like and get it done!

Pat did u ever get ur camping trip. I love to camp, my husband took me to the mtns for the first week of my liquid diet i loved it didnt want to come home

Hunger buddy-No, I haven't been camping this year. I need help setting up the pop up camper and everyone has been too busy with work. However, I have been fishing a few times. I have a friend with a cottage on a small lake not too far away. It's almost as good as going camping.

Back