• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

This is me, is that you?

Greetings and salutations,

My name is Ann. i had the RNY the end of June. Things did not start off well intake wise, but was great regarding weight loss. I ended up have two upper GI's for dilation, the first proved my scar tissue was too tight to even let the endoscope go through. Two weeks later, success! I spent the first 5 weeks eating nothing more than approximately one cheezit ( hate them but you get the idea, as well as one or two small sips of water). VERY dehydrated and malnourished, as well as weak and tired. Was regretting surgery until after the opening from stomach to intestines finally opened enough for me to eat and drink somewhat normally.

I am more than 9 weeks out but think it is more like 3 weeks due to the problems. Still having a hard time learning what I can and cannot eat. Some days are better than others. More on the good side then not. Like watching the numbers drop on the scale, trying not to become obsessed with the numbers.

Now trying to focus on how to cook post bariatric foods that taste good but in not large proportions.

Anyone one else with similar thoughts or problems?

You sound like you have a good outlook, despite your tougher then expected journey! Picking food isn't fun... and what agreed with you last time, may not agree with you this time.. Ugh.. I had that issue with vegetables. Keep Positive! And Happy Losing!

Who dat, say who dat, welcome aboard. I'm glad to hear you are doing better. Hopefully, the worst is behind you and you can look forward to a healthier life style, congratulations!

I'm glad to hear your problems were resolved and you're on the right track now. Hopefully you'll find some things you like and can tolerate well. And, as Johnscrystal stated, some things agree with you one day and don't the next. I have experienced this, and once it have a hard time with something, I just lay off of it for a while. Also, I think part of my issues came with forgetting to concentrate on how well I was chewing, so I think some things passing through were part of my problems. Just remember to chew very well now that you're able to eat more. Good luck with the recipe experiments, let us know if you find one that's worth sharing. Congrats on your weightloss so far! Keep up the great work.
-Jenny

Hello everyone, i found a site i just love, i think you will love to, if you dont already. The world according to eggface im going to b busy doing some cooking trying different things im excited i was told about this site enjoy everyone :):)hunger buddy:):):)

This is me again, is that you still?

Saw the bariatric surgeon today with the best feelings in the world listening to him click with his mouse that my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and need for meds to prevent excess sweating are now considered resolved! That was almost as good as knowing I am down 50 lbs as of this AM! Almost to the half way point! Also asked him to recommend a website for recipes. He suggested Obesityhelp.com. Will check that out next as well as the one mention in another post. Will let you know what I find. Thanks for the encouragement. Seems the best from people who know what I am going through.

Thanks, looks like you are extremely successful with your surgery according to your listed stats! How is it going for you finding ways to get enough protein in?

Not to bad now. At first it was a struggle. I have two Unjury drinks a day. One mixed with coffee the other with milk which is 48 grams. At lunch I have something like baked chicken or turkey with salad. My dinner is protein with vegetables. At this point I am having more trouble getting fiber than protein. My average protein is around 75 grams a day.

It is funny though because my weight loss seems very slow to me

I am having trouble getting anything in that has any desirable taste to me. I have tried tuna, salmon, eggs, chicken, turkey and have had trouble with all of it. I was getting tired of the shakes as I am bored with the flavors. Have found some flavor mixes I am trying now. Just have not been able to wrap my head around the recipe variety yet and that seems to bother me the most. I love to cook, especially new and unusual things, or even old dishes with a new twist. Just seems to be a wall I need to tackle. Congrats on making it this far as well as you have. You should be very proud of yourself. Do you notice many changes besides the weight loss? I have more energy, happiness, inclination to park farther away just to have the extra walk, etc.

Hi,
Congratulations on your success with resolving your needs for meds for cholesterol, high blood pressure, and excessive sweating(which I have trouble with and didn't know there is a med for)! Keep going and think positive that this is all worth it as it's showing you!! I am on cholesterol medicine as well and it would be great to eliminate that as well! It amazes me at how little is needed because of the size of your new stomach! I'm trying to process it all so I'm at least mentally prepared for when that time comes for me! Thank you for sharing and for the web site to check out!! Keep posting, love reading everyone's stories!! :)

Different things work for different people but you just have to try. Some things, including some protein drinks, were not so good after surgery but are better now. Everyone's plan advises different things. I am several months out, but some things that worked for me early on were sugar free popsicles, chicken broth on everything, even just alone, fat free refried beans, egg whites and eggs. It will get better. When I could add starch I used the frozen mashed potatoes by Trader Joes, and there are some fat free gravies that helped too.

This surgery is not something I recommend to everyone. It is truly life altering. You will never go back to eating the way you can before the surgery. I also notice I am okay with the little bit of food it takes to "fill me up" . In fact, even when I watch others eating the amount and kinds of food I like/used to eat, it sometimes disgusts me. I am beginning to notice how many obese (even morbidly obese) people there are out there. As a nurse, I worry about their health and long term effects of being that size. I know not everyone has the mind set needed to have this surgery and the life changes that come with it. I liken it to quitting smoking. Until you are ready to do it, you will not stop.

I wish you all the best with your surgery. It has been a rough road for me, but well worth it.

P.s. the medication I was taking to prevent me from sweating was Topomax, a med used for seizures, or migraines. One of the known side effects it stopping sweating, usually used by Psychiatrists for people with hyperhydrosis (excess sweating).

annlormandkoch

I have found that certain taste are just blahh now. I do like to eat tacos, rotisserie chicken, baked salmon and just about anything that take effort to cook. I can not stand bland food. I try a new recipe once a week just for kicks. I am scared if I start eating the same things over and over I will get bored and before you know it old habits will return. I am a huge fan of eggface.com. One thing that is helping me to stay on track with protein is the nutrition calculator at http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php you just input the recipe and to find how much protein and other things is in a serving.
It can be hard to at times but it is so worth it. I am down almost 100 pounds and the best part is being able to keep up with others. I can jump off my diving board into the pool without worry that I exceed the weight limit, chase after my grandson and so many other things. The difference in my quality of life is truly improving. the only down side to the program is the hair loss. It will grow back at some point but if I keep loosing hair I will need a wig. My big goal now is to fit into no special sized cloths. I have gone from a tight 28 to a loose 18. As women know 18 is the last size to be specialty sized. I am so looking forward to shopping in the large part of the store instead of the large size part of a store.

Be strong and carry on

Back