• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Thought I was doing well

supparamarq

I thought I was doing great. Was completely over the soreness, maybe 3 days of no pain, now suddenly the pain on the left side of my stomach is back. Doctor says its nerve pain from the surgery, supposedly normal. Put Ice on it, take liquid hydrocodone(can't stand the taste, so I won't use it), take it easy and come in for a nerve block if it gets worse(not a chance in hell, no more needles). Oh, and by the way (she says), I managed to pick up a drug resistant bacteria during my hospital stay, something called C-Diff. Now I am on antibiotics, and I am very contagious and need to stay away from people for a week or so. Needless to say, I'm not a very happy camper right now. Anyway, just venting here, thanks for reading this (listening to my rant, lol). :(

Sorry to hear about your issues. I remember the bad taste of the liquid hydrocodone. You can dilute it with water to make it a little easier to drink. You could probably mix it with whatever you are drinking these days, it doesn't need to be just water. Hope you feel better soon.

I hated that liquid oxycondone, too. Not only did it make me crazy-itchy but I couldn't stand myself. I finally decided the pain was better than life on the oxy.
Sorry to hear about the pain on your left side & the bacteria bug; stay in contact w/them if something doesn't seem like it's getting better or something new or worse.
This can be a really trying time & the oxy can make you depressed, too.
I hope you start feeling & healing real soon. You're not that far out from your surg but as I heard & now know it gets better.
Hang in there, we're all sending positive healing vibes & prayers for you.

Thank you,Robergnm, I really appreciate you're positivity and prayers. Hoping this pain goes away soon. Its getting to be very annoying.

Thank you, Pat, I appreciate you're concern. Not gonna use the hydrocodone for now. Don't like the taste or the way it makes me feel overall. Just gonna suck it up and deal with it.

Opiates make me sick so they gave me some other kind of pain killer but I can't remember what it was but it worked, I hope your far enough out where it is tolerable. Hang in there it gets better. :cool: Tom

In truly feel for you! I just came back from urgent care, I have had a horrible sore throat, severe irritation, redness, yuckiness....well come to find out I have thrush...yup a yeast infection and they gave me some liquid medicine to swish and swallow, I was told it would be horrible tasting, but it kinda tastes like banana popsicles, so I can deal with that. She also told me that the incisions are healing nicely but to keep an eye one of them so it doesn't get infected, its just in an area that tends to stay a little moist in this heat...lol:rolleyes: I'm so glad I didn't have strept.....

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers....Hang in there:cool:

Nana, sorry to hear about thrush - yuck. My husband had it during his 2nd cancer where he had a tumor on the back of his tongue just where it starts to go down your throat & saw firsthand how unpleasant it can be. Don't blame you about the oxy, I decided pain was better than that #$% medication. Was also told that I could swallow any pills I needed to so long as they were smaller than a pencil eraser. Most of mine had scores so I used the pill cutter to get them to meet the criteria b/c I could stand grinding them any longer. It was suggested to mix it w/crystal light or the like in the dry form, swallow, water & then plain crystal light - it honestly didn't make it any better. Thank God for the Adult Chewable Centrum multivitamins & chewable Gas X.

Super Marg - the pain may be from healing still going on ... remember, they rerouted part of our small intestine along with stapling off a small portion of the stomach. The insides were insulted by this whole procedure. Also, I've found that gas seemed to be a big issue for a little over the 1st month. Different places, different times. Not sure if it's the food I was eating, etc. but gas nevertheless. I'll never admit this outside this group but I was a praying to pass gas often or in volume because I knew I would begin to feel better. Only thing that seemed to help was moving around, gas x, rest when necessary & fluids. I think the more fluids the less gas I had though I know it's a challenge to get it all in. Hang in there, it will pass. If it doesn't & seems to be getting worse or severe call immediately.

TwoMas & Pat - will we ever be able to take bigger sips of water? Honestly I was a gulper before & a little bigger sips to look foward to sounds really good about now.

Hope everyone gets some desperately needed rain & cooler weather. I'd love to go walk in the rain ... who's with me?

Hi Mary, I try not to gulp or drink to fast or it hurt sometimes I forget and it feels like pressure built up on the back of my throat.

Glad you made it into the doctors NanaG, hopefully it should clear up soon, the surgery must have knocked out your immune system a little.
:cool:Tom

I could use some nice cooler weather with some rain. I think we got 3 little drops here at home today, though my husband said he got rained on at work. I too have the left side pain, and the doctor I saw today said that it is just probably gas that is trying to work it's way out.

Mary-I can have 3 good size "gulps" on a totally empty stomach. I don't do it on purpose but I am so thirsty in the morning I do it without thinking. I would say each "gulp" is almost an ounce in size for a total of 3 ounces. To me this was my normal size gulp pre-surgery but of course I could down 8 to 10 ounces back then and not think twice about it.

Nana-Sorry to hear about having thrush. I never had it but it sounds pretty miserable. Hope you feel better soon, you have enough to contend with. Just continue to rest and get your protein and fluids in. In case you didn't know, ounce for ounce your protein drinks, popsicles, Jello, etc. count towards your fluid goal.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!!!

i am so happy to not be alone. LOL misery loves company. I am praying you all feel better and heal swiftly. This pain on the left sucks but I am optimistic, this will not be forever and I laugh in it's face soon enough. Check & Mate Obesity!!!

Back