• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tomorrow is the BIG day!!!

Well.. I am finally thru all the pre-testing, psych eval, sleep study, pre-diet, and prep. It is finally here and I am surprisingly calm. I'm not feeling nervous or anxious anymore. I think my heart is just ready to do this. I am so ready to be healthy it makes me more excited than anything. I finally feel I am in control. I know I have made the right decision. I am so blessed to have such a huge support system with my family and all of you. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can. God Bles you All and see ya on the flip side. :eek:

Two days post op and doing good. Having trouble with the fluid intake though. Makes me feel like I am going to explode. Fluid, Fluid, Fluid! I am already pretty full to begin with and have to dring SO much. Any suggestions on how to work with this. I know how important it is and I want to do good but I would appreciate any advice from people who have actually went thru this sx. Thanks for your help!

So glad to hear from you :) You will not be able to drink all of your fluids for the first few days but it's critical that you drink as much as you can. I think it took me 5 or 6 days to drink 48 ounces in one day and another 2 or 3 days to drink 60 ounces. Once you start your protein drinks they will count towards your fluid intake. Other things that count towards it are Jello, popsicles, broth, anything made with water (of course, use sugar free stuff only).

Two days post op and doing good. Having trouble with the fluid intake though. Makes me feel like I am going to explode. Fluid, Fluid, Fluid! I am already pretty full to begin with and have to dring SO much. Any suggestions on how to work with this. I know how important it is and I want to do good but I would appreciate any advice from people who have actually went thru this sx. Thanks for your help!

Congratulations, Fluids are the hardest between the water and the protien drinks I rember always feeling full:p, like Pat said the protien counts towarsd your fluids so that helps. Hang in there :cool: Tom

Thanks for the advice. I had one more question. I have tenderness above my G-tube (I'm assuming this is my new pouch area) and coughing, laughing and sneezing just about bring me to my knees. Do you know when this will get back to normal? I'm 6 days post op now. I can't wait (already) until these tubes exit my body ... maybe I will start to feel normal again. :)

Not having trouble at all with nausea or vomiting (thank goodness) but not hungry at all either..... that is amazing by itself. Who knew a girl that could once down 4 sandwiches in one sitting is no longer hungry. I wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it.

I didn't have the type of pain you are describing. My drain was removed in the hospital on the 4th day after surgery but I didn't have any related pain. I had to do some maintenance at home a couple of times a day to the incision where the drain tube was. This included packing the incision with sterile string gauze to keep the incision open then removing it and re-packing to make sure it would drain. What a mess that was since I still had a lot of drainage for a few more days but the pain was minimal. I would call the surgeon and let him know what's going on just to make sure you don't have an infection.

Thanks for the advice. I had one more question. I have tenderness above my G-tube (I'm assuming this is my new pouch area) and coughing, laughing and sneezing just about bring me to my knees. Do you know when this will get back to normal? I'm 6 days post op now. I can't wait (already) until these tubes exit my body ... maybe I will start to feel normal again. :)

Not having trouble at all with nausea or vomiting (thank goodness) but not hungry at all either..... that is amazing by itself. Who knew a girl that could once down 4 sandwiches in one sitting is no longer hungry. I wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it.

I know exactly what pain you are feeling, three of my grandkids thought it was so funny when I laughed because of the look of laughter and pain on my face, it is funny now but not at the time. Every time I coughed, laughed or sneezed I felt pain in my pouch area, also when I rolled over in bed or tried getting up from a chair it was a little tender. I think gradually over 2 or three weeks it went away. I didn't have a drain tube in so I don't know if it is associated with that so like Pat said it is worth a call to your Doctor. hopefully it is just a little tenderness with your pouch. Let us know what you find out. :cool: Tom

Yes, that is exactly what I was going through. The aches and pains of rolling over in bed, getting up from the chair, etc. Glad to report the pain has finally subsided now and starting to feel normal - like again. Still have the blake drain in (which comes out on Wednesday, two weeks after sx) and the feeding tube which will stay in for two more weeks (total of four weeks). Then... I will feel normal, not like an octopus, lol. I'm doing better now, starting to get used to the routine. I am happy to report that so far I have not felt nausea or vomiting (but I am still on pureed food). Hopefully that will continue because there is nothing I hate more than throwing up. Yuck! That uncontrolled feeling. I am so thankful I have real people I can talk to about this that have gone thru the same thing. Sometimes it's really hard to get people to understand when they haven't gone through it. Thank you all. ;)

Back