• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tonja

Tonja

I had my surgery RNY on 10/11/12. I started the process in March. So it was a long road getting here. I got approved from my insurance in Sept. I have read alot of your blogs. Im so glad my surgeon has given me alot of information on what to do after surgery. I had to attend an all day class too. I have a binder full of information. It has really been helpful. I have lost 24lbs. so far. I have along way to go. I just take it one day at a time. There is so much I havent got to do for along time. I am so ready for my new life. Im so glad there are others that know what Im going through. I just wanted to say hi.

I had my surgery RNY on 10/11/12. I started the process in March. So it was a long road getting here. I got approved from my insurance in Sept. I have read alot of your blogs. Im so glad my surgeon has given me alot of information on what to do after surgery. I had to attend an all day class too. I have a binder full of information. It has really been helpful. I have lost 24lbs. so far. I have along way to go. I just take it one day at a time. There is so much I havent got to do for along time. I am so ready for my new life. Im so glad there are others that know what Im going through. I just wanted to say hi.

Hi, Tonja,

Welcome! And Congratulations on reclaiming your life!!!

Don't worry too much about the weight loss. Follow your program, and it will happen. In the meantime, you will stay healthy and continue to explore those things you want to do. Like what, for example? You might find you have lots of company here.

Be sure to get in all your fluids and plenty of protein, as outlined in your program.

I'm glad you found your way here. It's a great place to give and receive support.

Keep checking in. There's usually somebody around to "wave" and say "hi" sooner or later!

Tonja-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on having your surgery. Looks like you are doing great with your weight loss, keep up the good work. I'm also glad to hear your surgeon provided you with a lot of information. I am surprised by some people who have posted questions after they have had their surgery because they weren't given any information for their post surgery meal plans or follow up visits. It helps if you read the information several times. Due to the amount of information it's easy to forget something important. Don't hesitate to ask questions or offer support to others who have had or are waiting for their surgery.

The thing I miss most doing is horseback ridding. I havent been able to do that for years. I would like to teach my grandchildren to ride too. It was so much apart of my life growing up. Yes it is hard some days to get all my protein in. I went to my support group meeting this week, it really helps too. They had this cookies & cream powder to mix with your protein shakes, it added 21Gm more protein. And it really tasted good. Glad to know you are all here to help too.

Welcome aboard Tonja! You sound like you are doing great and moving in a positive, more healthful direction. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Welcome Tonja,

Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Any time I feel down, I remind myself of why I'm doing this. So I can spend a lot more quality time with my 3 grandsons.

The thing I miss most doing is horseback ridding. I havent been able to do that for years. I would like to teach my grandchildren to ride too. It was so much apart of my life growing up. Yes it is hard some days to get all my protein in. I went to my support group meeting this week, it really helps too. They had this cookies & cream powder to mix with your protein shakes, it added 21Gm more protein. And it really tasted good. Glad to know you are all here to help too.

OMG how I used to love riding! I should do something about that. Have you lined up a stable where you can start back when you're ready? Often, time seems to just fly by. It isn't too soon to start looking for what you want.

I'm really glad to hear you're utilizing an in-person support group. As to your protein shakes, please do check out some of what is available. You will find something you like a lot. Some sites offer samples, so you don't take a chance of getting stuck with a big tub of something you don't care for.

Vitalady.com offers many samples. Syntrax offers a sample box of their Nectar line (fruit flavors). I recently found something new to me: Ultimate Flurry Cookie Lovers, has Oreo cookies in it! 5g net carbs, 1g sugar. Unjury has a Chicken Soup flavor, for when you're desperate for some relief from sweet things; it provides a good savory alternative.

And, if you have some Unflavored protein powder, you can add chicken or beef bouillon cubes and other things to make your own savory (or sweet, with sugar-free syrups) offerings.

Welcome to the forum Tonja and congratulations on being on the "other side". I truly hope you get to accomplish all of your goals. I've never cared for horses myself, but I'll be cheering you on!

TONJA-How that brings back memories :) When I was in my last year of highschool I bought a big palimino named Sunshine. He was 19 hands and was a beauty!!! I worked out a deal with a boarding stable so that I could use their tack. The deal was that I could ride anytime during normal business hours and bring up to 2 friends that could ride the stable horses for free in exchange for giving Sunshine to the stable at the end of the summer. I needed transportation for the 40 mile trip to the stable but it was never a problem since my driving friends could ride free :) Although it worked out great for the summer I really hated giving up Sunshine. Since I didn't earn enough at the time it was the only thing I could do.

Now I ofteN wonder if I could ever get back into the saddle. I would love to own another horse (and a companion donkey or pony) but this time I would like to live someplace where I could take care of them myself. I've been scouting out properties with some acreage and small pastures :) I guess I need to see how things work out for me once I have my hip surgery and lose more weight.

hip surgery will be fine i have had both my hip's done, i am a big baby so i took my time at getting back on my feet, that is when i started to think about wls and now that i am home i can do this and have the support of family and friend's, and of the man in my life he has seen me at my worst, and he still love's me. lol

Support of family and friends is important, especially the love of your life. Great to hear you have it. Anyone that wants to be negative about WLS, tell them you know how they feel and will not discuss it with them again. Good luck on your surgery Denise, I know you're going to do well. Check in when you can and let us know how it's going.

Welcome and congrats on having your WLS. I agree the reason I had my surgery was to maintain my independence and to be able to participate in life again. I have done more with my grandchildren in the last few months then I had in a number of years. Wishing you all the best in your new life.

Back