• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Too much weight loss

kover

Oops-- started a new post then lost it. I'm new here so please bear with me. I'm ten months post-op (Rouen-Y) and have lost 100 pounds. My BMI is less than 20. My surgeon tells me my appetite will come back eventually but so far I have to remind myself to eat. So many foods make me nauseated and I get frequent diarrhea. I'm starting to get scared. People tell me I look scrawny which I never wanted. All I want is a normal weight and a normal relationship with food. Anyone have experience with this or have ideas on how to deal with it?

Hello and welcome kover. Many times when people say that, they are referring to what you used to look like. Having said that, what does your doctor say? Also have you spoken with your Nutritionist? Are you still losing or staying at your current weight? The biggest thing, how do you see yourself? The only suggestion I can make is to work with your Nutritionist to find the highest caloric foods you can tolerate and work from there.

Frank

:cool:

I agree with Frank, work with your nutritionist to find what foods would be best that you can tolerate. How much are you exercising? Might need to cut back a bit on that.

Oops-- started a new post then lost it. I'm new here so please bear with me. I'm ten months post-op (Rouen-Y) and have lost 100 pounds. My BMI is less than 20. My surgeon tells me my appetite will come back eventually but so far I have to remind myself to eat. So many foods make me nauseated and I get frequent diarrhea. I'm starting to get scared. People tell me I look scrawny which I never wanted. All I want is a normal weight and a normal relationship with food. Anyone have experience with this or have ideas on how to deal with it?

Thanks for suggestions. I have had appointments with my surgeon and dietitian. They say I will get my appetite back but I'm getting worried about the fact that I'm continuing to lose weight and have diarrhea. So many foods make me nauseated. I don't exercise excessively ( I walk about 3-4 x a week). This is starting to affect me socially as sharing a nice meal (even in small portions as we WLS people have learned to do) is a common American social event.

Kover, I wish, I had your problem, but all good things must come to an end. Here is a link to a calorie burn calculator to help you get an idea of how many calories you have to consume to balance out or to start gaining weight, i.e. if you burn 2000 calories a day you would have to have that many calories to stay even or more to gain weight. I wish you luck in bringing yourself to a healthy weight. You have to be a little compulsive to reach your goals, but there is a thin line between doing a good thing and taking it a bit too far. Any way I hope this helps you. Stay healthy!

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to health status. Believe me, I never thought I'd be "complaining" that I had to remind myself to eat but this nausea issue and continuing weight loss beyond what I want is no fun and somewhat alarming.

Kover,

One thing that no one else has mentioned is that perhaps your surgeon needs a look see to check for scarring or possibly an ulcer. Your nausea should have abated by now. Perhaps a small change in medication would help. Be sure and ask your surgeon if he/she needs to schedule an EGD or do an xray study. I didn't think about it earlier. Joy

I have also heard that some people develop lactose intolerance after surgery. It might be worth looking into....

Back