• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Transition to Pureed foods

fkrebs

Hi there, I've been doing very well, until this week. I am now supposed to eat pureed and soft foods. I am having trouble finding anything to eat. First off the sizes are so small that I can't see making things like mashed potatoes or refried beans. I don't have anything with which to puree foods, so I haven't eaten what my wife eats. Someone suggested baby food, which I tried. Ugh, but that is what I may have to use, unless someone has a better idea.

I guess the biggest problem for me is I'm not a planner, never have been. I guess I'll need to start. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

fkrebs-To me the pureed foods were the hardest because the texture just doesn't get it. You can spend $15 at Walmart and get yourself a small blender and stick whatever you are allowed to eat into it. Another option is to select foods that are on the soft side and just mash them up real good with a fork. Try eggs, cottage cheese, beans (or get canned refried beans), soft cooked veggies. Use instant mashed potatoes and refrigerate any leftovers for another time. One of the things I ate was mashed potatoes with smooth spaghetti sauce on them. You can also use fat free gravy on your potatoes. It might sound gross but at this point in the meal plan I promise it will be delicious. I also made cream of wheat and put spaghetti sauce on it and it tasted almost the same as the potatoes. If you get a small blender your options open up a bit. You can put soups, meatloaf, tender pot roast, chicken, turkey and tuna in the blender to puree to a consistancy that you can handle (should be the same consistancy as applesauce). For convenience use canned tuna, chicken or turkey. Add a small amount of broth, fat free gravy or water while blending. With a blender you can eat most of the things your wife eats minus the carbs, fats and sugars :) :) :) It's only for a week or 2 then you get to move up to soft foods!!!

Hi there, I've been doing very well, until this week. I am now supposed to eat pureed and soft foods. I am having trouble finding anything to eat. First off the sizes are so small that I can't see making things like mashed potatoes or refried beans. I don't have anything with which to puree foods, so I haven't eaten what my wife eats. Someone suggested baby food, which I tried. Ugh, but that is what I may have to use, unless someone has a better idea.

I guess the biggest problem for me is I'm not a planner, never have been. I guess I'll need to start. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it's time to purchase a good blender. If money isn't a major factor, I can highly recommend a VitaMix or a Blendtec. Drop in any fruit(s) or vegetable(s), add some water and get a drink containing all the natural goodness of the whole fruit or vegetable, juice and fiber combined. Make your own nut butters. Make delicious soups in smallish quantities. If money is a major factor, just buy the best blender you can and go from there.

I understand completely about not being a planner. That was always my biggest downfall with food. It went something like this . . .

Oh, I'm hungry. Hmmm, what is there to eat? Nothing that won't take a while to prepare. Oh, well. Off to the fast food places . . .

Not good. I've been working on improving that over the last several months. After my wls, better planning will be required for ongoing success. If any of the major fast food chain stocks have dropped recently, now you know why! lol

I hope you decide to purchase a Blendtec or a VitaMix. Either is a good investment, will last for many years, and can go a long way toward keeping you fit and healthy. Making good-tasting, healthy drinks can be quick and easy, with little advance planning required.

p.s. As you get farther down the road, they also make phenomenal ice cream (you control the sugar/sweetness/sweetner).

I too say, time to purchase an immersion blender or something better! I'm still on the post op liquid diet. I can have cream of wheat, I cook it in broth. It taste better. I can also have cream of soups strained. I'm not big on processed foods so today I made roasted tomato soup and put spinach in it. I blended it and strained it. I have small containers of it to put in the freezer. If you made soups, your wife can eat it unblended. She could have a salad or a sandwich to go with it. I love to cook and have been pinning soup recipes. I never thought I would get excited about soup but I am sick of the protein drinks as I only have chocolate and vanilla. I don't like chocolate at all right now! Good luck, I'm pretty creative if you need some help.

Thus far I have not had to puree. I eat food that are easy to chew or chew them really well. I try to get protein from my foods, but still drink a shake if I don't. I eat cheese sticks, ehggs shaved meats, cream of wheat etc. If you don't want to puree your foods pick softer ones. I use a fork then my teeth lol. Good luck.

darkpoeticangel, thanks for the advice. I ended up doing what you suggested. I'm now adding regular foods and so far it's been working.

Back