• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trying to decide between gastric bypass and the sleeve.

okieatheart

I need to let my surgeon know which surgery I would like to have because I am a candidate for both. I have been planning to have gastric bypass for several years. My surgeon leans toward the sleeve, but will be happy to do what I want. I'm afraid the sleeve won't be enough of a change and that I need the malabsorption of the gastric bypass. The surgeon said he has seen more complications with hernias and ulcers with gastric bypass. If you've had the gastric sleeve, did you have some loss of appetite to help with the weight loss?

I am choosing the bypass. My Dr. said that they only have only been doing the sleeve for about 7 years, so they don't have a lot of history on the sleeve. The bypass has been done for like 20 years. and adjusted in time. It is also the most effective AND if medically necessary it can be reversed. The sleeve once its done, there is no reversing... This is what my dr told me on it. Just thought I would share.

Dear oakieatheart,

I posted these several days ago on another thread.

Dear Tomas,

The statistics are according to my program dietitian, that only three percent of people who lose significant amounts of weight are able to keep that weight from coming back. I have over my sixty-one years have manage to lose a ton of weight but never managed to keep it off. In my case getting into my senior years, I wanted a solution I knew would work.

The surgery is only a tool it still requires work and effort to lose and once you reach your goals the focus and determination to maintain your weight, which will return if you are not committed. For me the surgery solidifies that commitment. My purpose in having the surgery was to help moderate heath issues I was having because of my weight and to better my chances of living a more fulfilling and active life style in my senior years. There was no vanity in my choice and the cosmetic benefits are just a plus in my opinion.

My only regret is not doing this ten years earlier.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie-o View Post
Why did you choose sleeve instead of bypass?

Good question. I felt that the RNY was too sever, I had my doubts about all the re-plumbing required. My father, back when I was a boy had colectomy and the bag and my memories of that were just awful. The sleeve to me was a much more elegant procedure. Just slice away a section of stomach, no re-plumbing and you kept the valve at the bottom of the stomach, so the dumping syndrome does not happen. The RNY I believe is a surgery more suited for the morbidly obese candidate. I needed to lose and keep off one hundred and twenty pounds and I felt the sleeve suited that purpose just fine. The weight loss is slower but I,m okay with that, make haste slowly is my motto. And the bottom line is I believe it is easier to live with this operation in the long run.

My surgeon at first disagreed with me and I had to make my case with him and he did finally agree. He also thought I would be able to go without insulin, and I knew he was wrong there, and he was.

I hope that answers your question.

cheers

Last edited:
Thank you so much for posting back to my question. I am happy to get all the information possible. I have had my heart set on the gastric bypass for about 6 years and finally am in a position to have the surgery. My surgeon said they have had a lot of success with the sleeves, so I'm trying to learn more about them.

I really enjoy eating and have trouble staying away from foods that I shouldn't eat, so I'm just wondering if the sleeve will be enough to help. I do know I will need to eat protein, fruits and vegetables and am hoping the surgery and not the junk food. Do you have any less of an appetite or less cravings with the sleeve? It looks like you've lost quite a bit of weight since you've had the surgery in January. Do foods taste different or you finding it easier to stay away from foods you really enjoyed before?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Best wishes to you! I've been trying to find information on the long term results of the sleeve and there aren't many statistics out there. At this time the gastric bypass is still the gold standard, so I too am leary of the sleeve. I like the idea of the malabsorption that goes along wiht the gastric bypass, just for the extra umph to help with weight loss and keeping it off. Also, I know several people who've had the bypass and have done very well. I just haven't talked to anyone that has had the sleeve other than on this site.

I just know how I like to eat and think the small stomach pouch and the bypassing of some of the intestine would work best for me. I've got diabetes and sleep apnea, but from what I'm learning both surgeries have a good outcomes for both, so I'm going to keep researching. I'm looking at a June/July surgery date. I hope you have yours soon and that it works well for you!

Thanks so much for your post.

I am going with the sleeve. From what i have seen with friends it doesnt matter which one you get.. its how much you wrk the program. I went with sleeve because I take medication that i can not afford to lose like i would with the bypass. its quicker healing, and yes, you eat smaller portions. You do not get dummping with sleeve, so if you love the sweets maybe bypass is the road for you. Although many people have pushed threw the dumping to eat what they want anyway. I dont eat meat. So if i went with bypass i would need to make changes in my diet as far as that and i dont want to. I would preffer to not need a ton of suplements. I actually eat well and make pretty good choices. I just think it is something you need to look at ever aspect of and weigh out the pros and cons for each.

I did the bypass....I have felt the same way you do.....will the sleeve be enough to keep the cheeto out of my mouth.....well I did the bypass....I needed to know if I ate the CRAP food that I would be on the CRAPPER in some pain.....It has done wonders for my mental state.....I even got dumping from a protein bar, had one too many sugars in it for my lil pouch.....I feel personally for someone that struggles with staying away from the pie and has the mentality that "one bite wont hurt" I would go with the bypass.....I was torn between the two until my diet lady told me, with the sleeve you can have a milkshake, but you are only hurting yourself.....well with the bypass you are not even gonna order it!!! only my opinion!!! good luck with whatever you choose!!!
Angee

p.s. I am a month out and still set an alarm to say "you need to eat now" they say with time that I will become hungry, but i am not so far......

Really Appreciate Your Response!

Hi AngeeBaby94,

I really appreciate hearing from you! That helped reinforce my decision. I know people who've had the gastric bypass and they've done real well. I believe this is the best choice for me too. Best wishes in your journey!

Okieatheart

Angee, I couldn't have said it better myself. I need something to keep me from taking that first bite and dumping is an excellent motivator. I must admit though, it is getting easier and easier to ignore the craving. Good luck to you okieatheart, btw, what part of Wisconsin are you in. I grew up in Madison.

Frank

:cool:

Hey Okie,

I was in the same place as you when I first started on this long journey. It is a tough decision and one you have to be satisfied with at the end of the day, especailly surgery day! I went with R&Y becasue of the "dumping" if consuming too much sugars. As a past "sugar-holic" I needed the "scare" of that to deter me from consuming it at all. Did I test it after surgery? Of course (about 2 mos ago), and the after-effects have kept sugar at bay since then! It wasn't pleasant and have permanently but a damper on that sweet craving that comes around birthdays and holidays!

I decided against the sleeve due to the possibility of slipping back into past eating habits (lots of sugary candies, pastries and ice cream) and it just seemed like it wasn't "enough" to get me past eating the "bad" stuff. I discussed this ad nasuem with my dietician and surgeon and they were very helpful in giving me the pros and cons of each for my eating habits. I do know recipients of both surgeries that are very satisifed with their choice and those that have gained the weight back. My steady "rock" is my brother that had the R&Y about 15 yrs ago and have not gained any weight back and still enjoy "eating"..., though healthy portions and choices. He still occasionally succumbs to his sweet tooth (yes, it MUST be genetic!) but he satisifes it with VERY SMALL bites of his desired craving. I, unfortunately, have not tried that (and may never do) due to my unfortunate event with sweets mentioned before!

To help put your mind at ease, the vitamins and supplements are not all that bad and become a daily routine like brushing your teeth in the morning. My vitamins and calcium (esp for women) supplements are actually used as small "snacks" because they are pretty good. Surprising even to me!

I hope I was helpful. Good Luck in your decision and your weight loss journey!

Central Wisconsin

Angee, I couldn't have said it better myself. I need something to keep me from taking that first bite and dumping is an excellent motivator. I must admit though, it is getting easier and easier to ignore the craving. Good luck to you okieatheart, btw, what part of Wisconsin are you in. I grew up in Madison.

Frank

:cool:

My family and I live near Stevens Point. This was a long winter! We still have 12 inches of snow in the yard and it just snowed an inch last night. I'm hoping it will all melt soon! Due to some fatty liver issues, my surgeon told me he will only do the sleeve surgery for me. He said the other surgery would be too invasive for me, so I'd rather have that than no surgery at all. I've been reading that people have had good results from that, so I guess I will find out.

Hi Leah,

Those were my thoughts exactly. However, my surgeon has decided that due to the degree of fatty liver that I have, he will not do the gastric bypass on me. He will do the sleeve, so rather than have no surgery I'm going to have that done. Hopefully I'll get my insurance approval in a few weeks and surgery by the end of June or so.

Best wishes on your continuing journey.

I think it sounds lie your surgeon is choosing for you instead of letting you choose. I'm on a 14 day diet to reduce the fat around my liver and make it floppy. I think if you had your heart set on the rny you should get it. Most nosy ranches not pay for this surgery once in a lifetime and if you don't get what you want you will never e satisfied. My surgeon does both and he left the decision up to me. I'm getting rny!

My surgeon bases his decision depending on each patient's age, history and condition (and his experience). Most often you can get what you want but on occasion he will step in and make his recommendation and I felt I had to go with what he recommended but I wanted a lapband anyway so I was happy as that is what he recommended for me. Sometimes you have to trust the doctor, he or she has the education and experience to know what will work best for each patient and why he chooses a particular procedure. Good luck on your journey. Joy

Remember in the end you need to do what's best for YOU ...... it's your choice and deep down inside you know which one would do what you need it to do. The bypass has been around alot longer and over time has proven very successful. The sleeve has not been around as long but those that have had it seem to say it works well. As I said you know which is right for you.
Kristin :)

I am a little disappointed in your surgeon. It does not sound like he took your considerations into heart. Maybe RNYs are not his forte? Personally, I don't think you should settle, but it is your decision to make. The sleeve is a good tool, and I almost decided on the sleeve for myself. When I had trouble deciding, my surgeon gave me several scenarios, and based on those I chose the RNY. As far as the malabsorption, it only lasts about 18 months to 2 years, then you are left with only the smaller stomach, just like the sleeved patients, so in the long run we all end up pretty equal. Dumping to prevent overuse of sugar is a nice idea, but it is estimated that only to 20-30% of RNY patients dump. I don't (or at least I don't think I do...I haven't really pushed it to see), but I am not a sweet lover.
As someone mentioned above, most insurances will only pay for one bariatric procedure lifetime, so make sure you know what you really want.
I wish you the best.

Back