• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upcoming surgery may 3rd and need support!!

my date for surgery is may 3rd!! Im having the gastric bypass done. I so looking forward to it but so nervous also! Its been well over 6 months getting here! I have finally received my insurance approval! I have done the support group meetings! I have seen a psychiatrist! I got clearance from the cardiologist! I received a clean bill of health other then being over weight with depression and high anxiety!
I think my anxiety takes over sometimes. I have read where some people have had some but little problems after surgery but i have also read and seen where people have had alot of problems physically and mentally. I guess im looking for support and answers to the questions i have about how people have honestly felt after surgery. I deal with depression so the post op is kinda scary to me...i dont want to feel alone in this process what so ever i guess. I have my family and friends but they dont know first hand what this is all about. So anyone with a few words of advice would be greatly appreciated! I am of need of some friends to talk to during this new beginning in my life. Thank you!

HI YankeeGirl,

WELCOME TO THIS ROOM, YOU'LL FIND ANSWERS TO ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS, AND BEST PART IS "YOU'RE NOT ALONE HERE" EVERYBODY HAS EXPERIENCED ANXIETY, DEPRESSION AND SO MANY OTHER FACTORS.
ALSO CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU WEIGHT LOSS YOU'VE ALREADY ACCOMPLISHED.
DID THEY PUT YOU ON A LIQUID DIET BEFOREHAND? YOU ARE SO LUCKY YOUR SURGERY DATE IS APPROACHING SO SOON.
I GET TO SEE SURGEON MAY4, FOR FIRST TIME, DID ALL MY TESTING & EVERYTHING IS FINE, JUST WAITING MY TURN.
I TOO HAVE HAD SOME CONCERNS ABOUT THE NEW JOURNEY AND HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE, HOW WILL I FEEL ETC.
YOU'VE COME THIS FAR, DON'T GIVE UP NOW YOUR NEW BEGINNING HAS ALREADY STARTED, LOOK FORWARD TO BEING ABLE TO DO THINGS YOU'VE WANTED TO DO FOR A LONG TIME, HEALTH PROBLEMS HAVE KEPT ALL OF US AWAY FROM ALOT OF FUN THINGS AND WITH STRUGLING WITH EVERYDAY LIFE.
YOU'LL HAVE FUN CLOTHES SHOPPING FOR SMALLER SIZES, BE ABLE TO GO SHOPPING AND NOT BE SO TIRED, ENJOY JUST GOING FOR A WALK & LAUGHING WITH FRIENDS FOR YOU'LL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER, PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE NOW AND TELL YOURSELF HOW PROUD YOU ARE OF "YOURSELF FOR WHAT YOUR DOING JUST FOR you"""". YES YOURSELF, FOR YOUR OFERING YOUR BODY A NEW CHANCE TO REGAIN YOUR HEALTH AND GET MORE STRENGTH AND ENERGY YOU HAVEN'T HAD IN AWHILE. GOOD THINGS ARE COMMING YOUR WAY. PLEASE COME BACK AND KEEP US POSTED HOW YOUR DOING. I'LL GLADLY LISTEN AND DO MY BEST TO HELP YOU ANY WAY I CAN.
THIS ROOM HAS BEEN SO KIND AN D UNDERSTANDING FOR ME AND I KNOW THEY'LL DO THE SAME FOR YOU TOO.
HOPE YOU SMILE TODAY AND REALIZE YOU'RE IMPORTANT AND YOU'RE GONNA BECOME HAPPIER WITH EACH NEW ACCOMPLISHMENT.EVERY POUND SHED IS A POUND CLOSER TO YOUR DESTINATION. HOLD ON TO YOUR DREAMS FOR THEY'RE ABOUT TO BECOME REAL.
DONNA

Last edited:
Thanks donna for your support!! I have my pre-op on april 26th so as of right now im not on any liquid diet. Im sure that time is coming from what i hear. Lol i will let you know as soon as i know anything! Thank you for caring and for reminding me what lies ahead!

YankeeGirl-Congratulations!!! This is a great forum. Just to give you a idea on what you might experience after surgery; the pain is manageable and the "worst" is over after 24 hours. You will probably have a pain pump and will be able to give yourself a small dose every 5 or 10 minutes. Mine allowed me to dose myself every 6 minutes. If you find you are still uncomfortable just let the nurse know. Usually they can increase the pain meds. Most people in the forum say the more they walked the halls in the hospital the better they felt. Gas pains are probably going to happen immediately after surgery so ask your nurse for GasEx or liquid simethicone. It's not going to relieve it 100% but it will help things considerably. You won't feel like drinking your fluids in the hospital for the first day or 2 but you must do it anyway to avoid dehydration. The trick is to sip, sip, sip, all day long. Keep a drink with you at all times!!!

Once you are starting on full liquids and can have protein shakes, hot cereal, applesauce and diluted juice you still won't feel like eating but will probably have a better time drinking your clear fluids. Make sure you get your protein in every day once you can have shakes. Even if you can't get all of it in get as much in as possible because you will feel better, heal faster and lose weight more quickly.

If you are in a situation where there is no one around to help you at home you might consider getting the "supplies" you need for a month's time before you have your surgery. It would be great if you could get someone to stay with you your first 1 or 2 days at home. They can encourage you to drink your fluids and to remind you to get up and walk a little every hour.

Once you are able to get out of the house plan on attending a live support group once or twice a month. People on this forum swear it's the best thing you can do for yourself. Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

I too am severly overwieght and was/am scared I havent had my first appt. yet its June 14th. I sometimes feel depressed because of what I can't do and feeling like a burden to my family, so i'm hoping surgery changes that. My doctors have also told me that the risk of me having something serious happening to me are tripled by not having the surgery, opposed to the risk of having the surgery. At weights as high as ours its like two people sharing one heart, its overworked!!! Good luck and hang in there we gonna make it!

Hi YankeeGirl and welcome! My surgery day is May 4th, so we are neck and neck. In Minnesota, as far as I know, there are no seminars or meetings before hand, just visits with different professionals throughout the process. I also don't have to do the liquid diet before hand either. I am having my surgery thru the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I am both very excited and nervous, but I also know that this is what I need to get my life and health back.
All people have some sort of complication from what I have heard, and I talked with my surgeon about it. He said as long as I keep myself hydrated, and get the protein I need I should be Ok. He said I will also find their are somethings my body wont tolerate after the surgery, mainly food I used to be able to eat, but now my body will "dump" it. He also said to listen to my body, it will tell me when I need something or not to eat something. Just take it slowly, get prepared, learn, read, and research. The more you know, the better you will be able to listen to your body.
Use your resources, find out from the professionals that you have seen if you can email them with questions. Everyone I have seen at Mayo so far has given me their information. My surgeon even gave me his personal cell number. You cannot fail, failure is not an option for us, but giving up is, dont give up on yourself, but reach out. You will find you are stronger than you realize. I take anti-depressants for my depression, I will need to watch myself to make sure my body is absorbing that medication properly. If not I will be contacting someone for help. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to, I look forward to seeing where our journey together takes us.

Not everyone has complications after surgery. I did not have any at all. The only issue I had was with some nausea after eating 2 or 3 weeks after surgery because I ate 1 or 2 bites too much. When this happened it was because I had not yet learned my signal for fullness. I am happy to say it hasn't happened since.

The best thing all of us can do is to follow the instructions from the surgeon and nutritionist. Follow the meal plan and get your protein and fluids in daily. In the beginning you are not going to feel like drinking everything you are supposed to have on your meal plan but you have to get as much fluids as you possibly can. When you are allowed to add protein drinks make sure you get all of your protein requirements daily. And take your vitamins and supplements. If you follow these "rules" you will drastically reduce your risk for complications. I was told by the doctor who cared for me during my post surgical hospital stay that over 90% of patients who returned to the hospital within 2 or 3 days of discharge was for dehydration. Even though you are not going to feel hungry or thirsty you MUST stay hydrated. Keep a sugar free, caffeine free, non-carbonated beverage that you like with you at all times and sip on it every little while. Get yourself a BIG mug with a tight fitting cover that has a slot for drinking and carry it with you where ever you go. If you get one that is insulated your drink will stay cold without running back to the kitchen for ice or to make another drink.

As time goes by it will become easier to drink all of your fluids and to get all of your protein in with shakes, food or both. Don't jump ahead by trying to eat things you aren't supposed to have yet. Doing so will cause you to get sick from nausea, vomiting and / or dumping. Do not eat anything with refined sugar or any high fat content foods or you will make yourself sick and possibly cause complications to your surgery. If you have persistent pain or cannot keep fluids or food down you should contact your surgeon.

Hi YankeeGirl, You are in the right place for support, as you see we are all here to help each other. It is great to hear you have family support, even though they may not understand what you are going through and all the emotions you are feeling they will be there for you. I had my three daughters ther with me on surgery day one had the surgery a year before so she knew what I was going through. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

YANKEEGIRL, my surgery date is May 3 also.. We are surgery sisters!!! I will be thinking of you during the day...---LONI

Back