• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins and pills

Kim M

Just wondering how long it took to be able to shallow vitamins and pills. I have to crush my pills and take some of my vitamins out of capsules which is the worst. I am just ordering some vitamins on line and was hoping I would not have to continue to do chewable. It literally takes all day and into the evening before I can get all my vitamins in. It has become a bit more difficult at work as I am not always in the office. Any experiences would be helpful.

Hi Kim, I had the RnY so I never really had to crush my vitamins, I do use the subligual D3 and B12 it just goes under the toung and eat the calcium citrate soft chews that come in variouse delicious flavors my fave is caramel:D so the only one I take orally is my multi vitamin and a mild anti depressant, I am so bad a taking my iron I just stopped:eek: so hopefully my bloodwork is ok. See if they have liquid vitamins that would work and try the sulinguals. :cool: Tom

KIM-Like Tom, I didn't have to crush my pills. I was told I could safely swollow anything as long as it wasn't any larger than an M&M. Some of my supplements are big and I just break them in half. But it still takes me all day to take my prescriptions and vitamin supplements. I had the RNY and we can only absorb so much at one time so we have to space things out to get the most benefit. Try putting your pills in a baggie or a small plastic container and put them in your pocket at work and keep a bottle of water or some other beverage with you at all times. This way you can discretely take a pill every once in a while and before you know it they will be gone :) :) :)

... I am so bad a taking my iron I just stopped:eek: so hopefully my bloodwork is ok.

TOM-My list of acceptable multivitamins includes Flintstones Complete which has enough iron for adults with a 2 tablets a day dose, one in the AM and one in the PM. They don't taste all that bad either.

I had a hard time in the beginning but as my stomach healed I was able to swallow and tolerate my vitamins. The hardest one I had was when I was taking potassium. I had to take that for only 3 months. After that I was able to swallow ok. I have a hard time with multivitamins. I tried chewable (They make me gag), liquid ( gross, gross, gross), and now I take gummies. I like them the best. Next month I find out how my vitamin levels are and I hope they are ok. I, too, take chewable calcium, and will take chewable iron. They are delicious. (Bariatric Advantage) I take the B12 sub lingual (which I was told it was the only way to really get that vitamin unless you get a shot once a month which I am thinking about) And the B50 which is a pretty large capsule but the only one I need to take so it doesn't fill my pouch. In the first 3 months I felt like all I was doing was taking vitamins. I don't feel like that anymore. I take The B's in the morning along with calcium,(which I take 3 times a day) and my multi vit (which I take twice a day). Then at night I take my iron. Remember that you cannot take calcium and iron together because they cancel each other out. They must be taken at least 3 hours apart from each other.
Good luck, I know it is hard right now but it does get better. I literally counted the day in the first 3 months.

Back