• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins!

The bariatric advantage vitamins are what my team suggests because they have 1 vitamin that you take ant it has all the vitamins you need in a day. Pre-sugery I'm taking 2 a day. Post-surgery I will take 4 a day. They taste terrible but it is because of the iron that is in them. Iron in any form taste terrible.
Agreed, bariatric advantage were the worse ones I have tried!

I’m glad I followed this thread! I worry about vitamins. In my lifetime I’ve been “educated” based on the prevailing science. Growing up, iron has been an issue. Told to take supplements. Take it for less than a month, levels are good for several years. Told to “eat the rainbow “ to get all vitamins and minerals naturally because as it has been noted, it’s not regulated. When I took classes in A&P, in nursing school, and later in my grad courses in ethics, and now public health, I learn/learned things that confuse, contradict, and outright causes feelings of cringe. Where am I now? I am noting the brands suggested and going to my team with it, my dietician, and the nutritionist I see on the “side”. I researched them prior to committing to start this program with them. I vet everyone and so far, they’ve been consistent and in agreement. So I’ll present them this info, learn recommendations for my situation, and see if tweaks are needed based on tests. Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences! Thank you kcuster83 for getting this going. There are other threads, but this one was so varied that I learned a lot!

Has anybody had their blood come back high in B and told to adjust? I have not heard from he. Adriatic doc yet but my general doc and functional nutrtiinist would like me to cut back. The nutritionist is also concerned about my ferritin levels as they went from 150ish last year to 50s this year.

Has anybody had their blood come back high in B and told to adjust? I have not heard from he. Adriatic doc yet but my general doc and functional nutrtiinist would like me to cut back. The nutritionist is also concerned about my ferritin levels as they went from 150ish last year to 50s this year.
I was taking extra B12 before my 6 month blood work because of my low energy. My levels came back high, so they told me to stop that and increase protein from 60 g to 80.

My B12 levels came back high for my 6 month blood work. I was told to cut back my B12 from 1 daily to 1 every other day. I take a 1000 mcg B12. Is ferritin related to iron supplements? I take 325 mg ferrous sulfate every other day.

I just read that Calcium Citrate interferes with my multivitamin and my BP medication. I’m going to be taking calcium citrate 4 times a day after surgery (2,000mg total). When am I supposed to take my multivitamin and BP pill?

You need to take it 2 hours apart, so hopefully you can schedule your vitamins and minerals throughout the day. But I wasn't aware about BP med, thanks for pointing that out. Did your doctor tell you to take 2,000 mg?

You need to take it 2 hours apart, so hopefully you can schedule your vitamins and minerals throughout the day. But I wasn't aware about BP med, thanks for pointing that out. Did your doctor tell you to take 2,000 mg?
My dietician assigned all of my supplements. I was surprised at 2,000 mg of calcium citrate instead of the usual 1,500 mg. I know that amounts will get readjusted after surgery and new blood tests.

My doc continues to say to not lower B12 despite its coming back high. Doc also doesn't think the feritin is low. It was around 54 but a year ago it was about 154. My blood sugar came back at 101 but she doesn't seem worried about that either.

As for the question on vits mixing. I take all of them together. I don't have time/ability in my day to divide them out and was told some is better than none so take them at the same time.

In reference to calcium citrate being affected by multiple vitamins, I am taking Optifast bariatric vitamins 4 times a day and it says calcium citrate is in the vitamin. How is that possible? Thought multivitamens and calcium couldnt be taken together.

In reference to calcium citrate being affected by multiple vitamins, I am taking Optifast bariatric vitamins 4 times a day and it says calcium citrate is in the vitamin. How is that possible? Thought multivitamens and calcium couldnt be taken together.
I take all of my vitamins together and my bloodwork is fine. I take the off brand Flintstone, vaccine chew, d, b, and will have 3 more supplements added in soon. Levels have never been low and I had surgery Feb. 2020

Last edited:
Calcium carbonate is hard to digest and lingers in organs and fat. Calcium citrate is water soluble and passes through more easily. Iron is the mineral that shouldn't be taken with vitamins.

Has your doctor checked your levels?

Calcium carbonate is hard to digest and lingers in organs and fat. Calcium citrate is water soluble and passes through more easily. Iron is the mineral that shouldn't be taken with vitamins.

Has your doctor checked your levels?
Yes. He put me on iron 325mcg Mon, Wed and Friday. When I research Optifast it says it has iron in it but when you read back of bottle it says iron mg and potassium mg. I dont know how much of those minerals are in the vitamin. Tried to get an answer from manufacturer but they havent rrsponded. Nestle. My pcp said I could take the bariatric vitamins but have to wait till next week to see if he meant me to stop the iron supplement. He also had me on b12 and d3 which I did stop because I can see they are in the multivitamin and how much. I am taking Optifast chewable multivitamins.

Yes. He put me on iron 325mcg Mon, Wed and Friday. When I research Optifast it says it has iron in it but when you read back of bottle it says iron mg and potassium mg. I dont know how much of those minerals are in the vitamin. Tried to get an answer from manufacturer but they havent rrsponded. Nestle. My pcp said I could take the bariatric vitamins but have to wait till next week to see if he meant me to stop the iron supplement. He also had me on b12 and d3 which I did stop because I can see they are in the multivitamin and how much. I am taking Optifast chewable multivitamins.
I'm surprised they have you stopping B and D unless you live in sunshine most of the year.

I'm surprised they have you stopping B and D unless you live in sunshine most of the year.
Im taking optifast formerly optisource which was what I took after my surgery. It is an improved optisource. It has b12 and d3 in it and calcium citrate. I take 4 a day which is 500 b12 and 3000 iu of d3 taking the 4 vitamins. I should take 2 addition pills of d3 because my dr wanted me on 5000 iu daily.

I bought vitamins before surgery - based on the samples I had been given. They were Celebrate.

Once I had surgery I couldn’t get the huge chalky chewable multivitamin down. It literally made me throw up.

I contacted my surgical team and Celebrate offers a multivitamin capsule. It’s for Bariatric surgical patients. So I take those. No funky chalky pineapple flavor that smells like it’s been fermented in the ass of something dead. It’s much easier for me to deal with. Talk to your surgical team - explain the issues with those nasty funk ass smelling chewables and see if your surgeon will allow you to take the capsules.

I bought vitamins before surgery - based on the samples I had been given. They were Celebrate.

Once I had surgery I couldn’t get the huge chalky chewable multivitamin down. It literally made me throw up.

I contacted my surgical team and Celebrate offers a multivitamin capsule. It’s for Bariatric surgical patients. So I take those. No funky chalky pineapple flavor that smells like it’s been fermented in the ass of something dead. It’s much easier for me to deal with. Talk to your surgical team - explain the issues with those nasty funk ass smelling chewables and see if your surgeon will allow you to take the capsules.
I love your description of things in your posts. haha I always get a chuckle! I agree, these chewable vitamins are absolutely horrible! I can't believe they haven't figured out how to make a concentrated liquid form that you take like cough syrup! Even if it is gross, it's a quick one and done!

Back