• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins!

My bariatric team gave out samples of (Bariatric advantage) chewable and liquid vitamins to try, to be prepared for the stage after surgery when you cannot take capsules. They are the MOST DISGUSTING THING EVER. The texture, the initial taste, the smell and the after taste. I literally had to spit some out and others I gagged and choked the entire time until it was gone. I have tried the soft chews and the chewable capsules but have not tried the liquid. I am worried about being able to do this after surgery with an already sensitive stomach! I bought some additional samples of "Celebrate" and they are just as bad. Does anyone know of any brands that are better? And, Why don't they make a liquid like cough medicine where you can just do a tablespoon or 2 and call it a day! UHG!
I ordered the Bariatric Fusion Complete with Minerals & Vitamins chewable on sale that day. My team said these were good because they have everything. You chew two in the morning and two in the evening (4 a day for gastric bypass and 2 a day for the sleeve). You get a 120 chewables in a bottle. Ok, the texture reminds you of a sweet tart without the sugar lol a little chalky but doable lol good luck.

I ordered the Bariatric Fusion Complete with Minerals & Vitamins chewable on sale that day. My team said these were good because they have everything. You chew two in the morning and two in the evening (4 a day for gastric bypass and 2 a day for the sleeve). You get a 120 chewables in a bottle. Ok, the texture reminds you of a sweet tart without the sugar lol a little chalky but doable lol good luck.
I might have to try them, wanna ship me a sample? haha JK JK I found vitamin protein shakes that my team approved for me to use.. the concern is I like them now. Hope I do after surgery too because if not I have NO CLUE what I will do. :oops::rolleyes:

I use the Bariatric Choice Once Daily. It is a gel cap and can be pulled apart so that the contents can be placed in a dollop of anything... applesauce, yogurt, any soft food. They also come in various strengths of iron... from zero added iron to 45 mg. I order the 18 mg iron because iron is SO constipating to me and I eat enough red meat protein that my levels are always good. While vitamins are extremely important, what is MOST important is that we take them... at least something! Until you get to the point where you are able to swallow pills get whatever you are able to tolerate.

FOOD = just tried the Unjury chicken soup, smells good, and even taste pretty good. I used 1/2 cup of water (130 degrees), tasted really salty. I know some do not like it; but, I am trying different stuff. Also ordered from Direct Diet (they ship fast) and just had some WonderSlim Crunchers, ok, taste more like a cheese wheat cracker, 10 grams protein and 1 sugar. Also ordered some other stuff to try. Oh well, just waiting...

I plan to ask my dietician at my next appt in a couple weeks about the patches i have found. My husband is a pharmacist and said that patches are an approved delivery method for many prescription medicines but vitamins and dietary supplements are not regulated like drugs are, so there is no guarantee that they will deliver what they claim except by trial and error and I am not sure I want to order them without asking. He also said with my sensitive skin it is likely the adhesive on patches will irritate me. It is worth it to me to ask. They cost much less and would be so much easier than my current supplier.

My instructions direct to start chewable or liquid multivitamin and calcium 3 days POST-OP. Cannot start using capsules until I am in the solid food phase. The chewables are unbareable tho, that is my problem.

The flavors are awful. I put my chewable in applesauce, yogurt etc just to get the vitamin flavor down enough to take them. The liquid vitamins were the worst tasting gunk I ever had.

My bariatric team gave out samples of (Bariatric advantage) chewable and liquid vitamins to try, to be prepared for the stage after surgery when you cannot take capsules. They are the MOST DISGUSTING THING EVER. The texture, the initial taste, the smell and the after taste. I literally had to spit some out and others I gagged and choked the entire time until it was gone. I have tried the soft chews and the chewable capsules but have not tried the liquid. I am worried about being able to do this after surgery with an already sensitive stomach! I bought some additional samples of "Celebrate" and they are just as bad. Does anyone know of any brands that are better? And, Why don't they make a liquid like cough medicine where you can just do a tablespoon or 2 and call it a day! UHG!
Your tastes will change post surgery. I couldn't even down the liquid Tylenol as it was way too sweet! Strangely, now I crave sweet foods constantly (almost 3 years post-op). You might have to see if you can grind up vitamins to mix with your regular food/drink for a while. I have prescription medication that I had to take whole, but never had an issue taking them. Maybe save the samples until post surgery to see what you can tollerate then?

I plan to ask my dietician at my next appt in a couple weeks about the patches i have found. My husband is a pharmacist and said that patches are an approved delivery method for many prescription medicines but vitamins and dietary supplements are not regulated like drugs are, so there is no guarantee that they will deliver what they claim except by trial and error and I am not sure I want to order them without asking. He also said with my sensitive skin it is likely the adhesive on patches will irritate me. It is worth it to me to ask. They cost much less and would be so much easier than my current supplier.
My doctors said to not use the patches, but then again, many doctors conflict on what to do/not to do. Your doctor would be the best one to ask about them.

The nutritionist is the one who said no flinstones or 1 a days. Maybe the idea is not to have to take so many a day? That is a lot of pills you have there, I feel like I would be taking pills all day long.
I was taking the suppliments my nutritionist instructed me to, and now I have high levels of many nutrients. What works for one doesn't always work for another. I'm not sure what to do (I no longer have a bariatric team due to a change in insurance) other than stop taking so many bariatric vitamins. I will talk with my primary care doctor about it to see what he recommends, but I have a feeling that the Bariatric suppliments are not it.

My instructions direct to start chewable or liquid multivitamin and calcium 3 days POST-OP. Cannot start using capsules until I am in the solid food phase. The chewables are unbareable tho, that is my problem.
I was allowed the capsules 1 week after my gastric bypass. They are gross but I do ok with them if I plug my nose, put some protein shake in my mouth and the capsule. Then I swallow and drink a bit more shake. Then I unplug my nose. It has made a huge difference!! I just make sure I exhale out air so I don't get the air in my stomach.

I have only found liquid vitamins that you mix a power with water and have it has an actual drink (8 oz), not just 1 spoon full. My idea behind a liquid that you just take like cough syrup is to just get it swallowed and over with ASAP. haha I asked my DR and the nutritionalist on my team and neither of them know of a cough syrup like vitamin. I never heard of the patches but will look into them and see what the professional say! Thanks. I just can't believe this day in age that they can't figure out a better chewable.
I am off my 1 week post-ops and they put in in those horse chewables and they taste nasty, another challenge for me, I finally found a protein shake that I like very much, so I can get those 90 Gr of protein daily ugh! I am already here, but I need to be honest all these paper works, supplies, on top of all the medications and operations care and food, make this surgery a bit overwhelmed...hang in there guys, we are all in this together!!!

I was allowed the capsules 1 week after my gastric bypass. They are gross but I do ok with them if I plug my nose, put some protein shake in my mouth and the capsule. Then I swallow and drink a bit more shake. Then I unplug my nose. It has made a huge difference!! I just make sure I exhale out air so I don't get the air in my stoma
They are HUGH and they are chewable, it takes forever to swallow

I already mentioned this, but I'll say it again:
  1. you don't need bariatric vitamins
  2. a nutritionist can help you assemble the best combination of supplements for you.

Bariatric vitamins are a scam. Period. Exclamation point.

Oh, and for women, Trader Joe's has the best high-potency chewable vitamins. You can buy them on Amazon.

I already mentioned this, but I'll say it again:
  1. you don't need bariatric vitamins
  2. a nutritionist can help you assemble the best combination of supplements for you.

Bariatric vitamins are a scam. Period. Exclamation point.

Oh, and for women, Trader Joe's has the best high-potency chewable vitamins. You can buy them on Amazon.
Dianne, I called my Nutritionist and she said, I can switch them to "capsule" base in a month time, and she said at the end of her email "if you need more medical advice please call the office" she is not much of a help, That is why I was so worry about the stages of food, as she is not of very help, I already complain about her, but you know how that goes... well let me see what I can do.

Dianne, I called my Nutritionist and she said, I can switch them to "capsule" base in a month time, and she said at the end of her email "if you need more medical advice please call the office" she is not much of a help, That is why I was so worry about the stages of food, as she is not of very help, I already complain about her, but you know how that goes... well let me see what I can do.
It worries me, that word, "capsule." Those capsules are hard to digest and stick in the villi of the intestinal tract. I would DEFINITELY get another nutritionist. She's not a doctor, she's not God... and she's not the ultimate authority on this. I hope you do more research and others chime in here. I really think this is a bad recommendation.

Back