• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vomiting

Im 10 weeks out on my surgery almost 11 weeks out. I have been having two problems..one is vomiting. I get this pain in my chest and I know I have to bring it up. You would think once that is cleared I would feel better but no..i have to go until every last crumb is out of my system...and I do mean every crumb. Otherwise it causes phlem and that comes up. It seems I pull out more than I put in. I even get to the point where I am wretching, my bloodpressure goes up and I can't breathe and nothing is coming out. It's horrible. It only happens with solid foods..mostly meats. It's frustrating. I seriously would rather have lower dumping than upper dumping. When I have a situation like that bullion or broth is the only thing I can feel good about getting down. Even afraid to do a protein shake cause it is thicker. On those days I cut my losses and just get whatever I can in my body. I do get most of my protein from my food since I hate the shakes even though I can tolerate muscle milk. I have the powder in the house but hate the taste so much I don't use it. Im struggling to get my protein in and most days I get close to 60 but don't quite get there. im able to eat my 4oz and sometimes six. It really makes me nervous about eating. Even my pills can cause this..and I take a lot of pills still. they take me an hour to get in if that is any indication of how many I take...twice a day...I do struggle with my water intake..im simply not that thirsty and don't think about sipping every few minutes and yes I struggle with how fast I eat but I do chew chew chew until it's nearly nothing in my mouth. Ive taken a step backwards and gone back to pureed. I figure just for a few days to let my stomach settle. It's really depressing.

The other problem I am having is staying awake. By like 7pm Im so tired I can't sit and look at the tv..I gotta just make it to my bed and I am out like a light nearly immediately. anyone else having this?

You should first check in with your doctor with your complaints.

My best guess is to eat smaller amounts or to extend the amount of time you send eating. Your alertness issues suggest to me you are not getting enough calories to keep you functioning well. I would try the protein shake in the liquid form off the shelf they are a bit more tolerable than the powders. The protein bars are good if you get the right one "Pure Protein" are my favorite with 20 grams of protein but there are others; the ones with the most protein the least calories and the least saturated fat are the best choice. Costco "Premium" brand are good for protein drinks the bars are a little too sweet for me but they do have 30 grams of protein.

I am truly sorry to hear about your troubles. I think you need to talk to your barbaric team to help you resolve them.

You should first check in with your doctor with your complaints.

My best guess is to eat smaller amounts or to extend the amount of time you send eating. Your alertness issues suggest to me you are not getting enough calories to keep you functioning well. I would try the protein shake in the liquid form off the shelf they are a bit more tolerable than the powders. The protein bars are good if you get the right one "Pure Protein" are my favorite with 20 grams of protein but there are others; the ones with the most protein the least calories and the least saturated fat are the best choice. Costco "Premium" brand are good for protein drinks the bars are a little too sweet for me but they do have 30 grams of protein.

I am truly sorry to hear about your troubles. I think you need to talk to your barbaric team to help you resolve them.

thanks for your reply..wish there was a Costco near me. I do have walmart and the protein bars I have are 12 grams and low in calories and sugars. I know I need to slow down each meal. That is a hard one for me.

I would go on line to find those or similar products; I wouldn't waste my time on anything with less than 20 grams. of protein.

take care

Last edited:
Hi Elora, you hit the nail on the head. I believe that your problems are that you try to eat it too fast. I've been lucky in that I've never vomited, but I have had nausea on occasion. It's almost always from eating too fast. A couple of tricks to slow down,
1) Put down your fork between each bite and do not pick it up again until you have swallowed the previous bite (slow count to 20 after swallowing is even better)
2) Use smaller utensils, like a cake fork instead of a regular dinner fork. Can't put as much on the fork that way.
3) When you're with others, talk while eating, not while chewing.

I hope this helps.

Frank

Oh yea, do what Dennis said, in case I'm wrong.

:cool:

Elora,

Which procedure did you have? I read your post and I was/am baffled. The RNY makes it almost impossible to regurgitate...we don't have enough stomach or acid for our pouches to constrict to get the food back up. I've had "leakage" before...when I drink too much water and lay down; the water just drains out of my mouth. Gross, but also a bit funny. I try not to drink too much now. LOL.

Wish I knew what to say on your issue...some valuable pearls of wisdom, but I got nothin here. I'm interested to continue reading any comments and find out how it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Letrell

Elora,

Which procedure did you have? I read your post and I was/am baffled. The RNY makes it almost impossible to regurgitate...we don't have enough stomach or acid for our pouches to constrict to get the food back up. I've had "leakage" before...when I drink too much water and lay down; the water just drains out of my mouth. Gross, but also a bit funny. I try not to drink too much now. LOL.

Wish I knew what to say on your issue...some valuable pearls of wisdom, but I got nothin here. I'm interested to continue reading any comments and find out how it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Letrell

I had the rny and I have done plenty of regurgitating

Elora,

am new to this site and had gb march of 2006 and had a full reversal may of 2011. This sounds like it could quite possibly be an ulcer...Did you call the doctor? How long after you eat does this happen? What type of pain? I'm a real pro when it comes to issues with the gastric bypass. I'm sorry to hear about your issues but I may be able to help.

Jennifer

I'm sorry that your having these issues Elora..

I had the RNY and since I have had it I can't vomit. I would definitely call your surgeon and let them know what is going on so that they can get you in..

Good Luck to you!

I can not vomit since surgery even if I am sick. I rarely get sick but I have a pill if it gets to bad, ask your doctor for advice.:)

Well you know I have got sick and felt the need to throw up. I can't. never I AM 8 MONTHS OUT AND ITS A BAD FEELING. I take medication for this when it happens. But It is impossible for me to ever throw up. And I get all the feelings of if I could I would be better. I have a few people in my support group that can't either. Your sick and you lay there and feel terrible. I have a doctor who gives me medication when this happens, because I get so sick I have to lay down and not move. Promethazine, Some times its a bit or two of something that my new stomach can not handle. Thank God its rare. But I was on vacation and was on a motorcycle and took two bites of Ice cream. Was so sick that had to get off and lay down for a hour under a tree, Still sick but made it back to motel. Took my pill and felt better in 20 minutes, Never should have tasted the ice cream Or left medication at the motel. I would talk to my doctors they also have patch that help some people me they did not but some use them, Good luck and feel better soon.

I would call your Team's Nurse to check on things. I had to dump a couple of times with lessons learned. Pouchie is a strict teacher. Yep, one can vomit.
But, I would definitely check with your Team on things. Write down everything for them so you don't leave any problems out when you are telling them about it.

Carol- Hope you feel better.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm an RN. If you aren't getting your water in I wonder if you may be getting dehydrated. Dehydration causes nausea and stomach cramping.... Evaluate yourself by how often you pee (most people go 5-6 times a day). Sorry for the potty talk, folks!

I had RNY and am 10 weeks post op and I have had PLENTY of "regurgitating" .. its typically from eating too fast, too much..or something with too much fat .. happens almost immediately after eating or during a meal..

Elora,

am new to this site and had gb march of 2006 and had a full reversal may of 2011. This sounds like it could quite possibly be an ulcer...Did you call the doctor? How long after you eat does this happen? What type of pain? I'm a real pro when it comes to issues with the gastric bypass. I'm sorry to hear about your issues but I may be able to help.

Jennifer
Full reversal? Like, your stomach is back to normal? If so, why?

Hi Carin and welcome to the Boo Boo Club. Virtually everybody does this early in their membership to this group. You have replied to a post that is 7 years old. The person who authored the post is no longer here. For your information, I am actually the longest-tenured member of this group, having joined on March 5th 2019. That's just a little bit over a year ago.

It's pretty common with online groups that people come and go after finding the answer to a question or being distracted or bored or just not liking the group. There is one person here (Tauheeda) who has been here much longer than me but she rarely posts. She is a very sweet person and is always ready to give you a thumbs up.

To everyone else who is relatively new, look at the date on the post that you have found in the archives. You can find out how active a person is and when the last time was he or she posted by clicking on their profile photo. If you want an answer to a question asked, you may be talking to a ghost.

WE have a good, intelligent membership here now, though. You may be able to just ask the question in general and see if you get an answer.

And don't feel like The Lone Ranger. Like I said, you just joined a club full of people who have done exactly the same thing.

And I read the message from the original poster and I think she may have been talking about having a revision that failed. I am really surprised by the person who replies, saying that she is a real Pro. I don't think anyone would claim to be a professional in our current membership. That's a doctor's distinction. she says so many things, it is really hard to sort out what she is conveying. But she isn't saying that somehow the surgery reversed itself and doesn't work anymore. I think that's what may have alarmed you in the first place.

Back