• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

week 3 of preop liquid diet

Lizzie

Hi my name is Elizabeth and i was supposed to have my surgery today (7/2/12). I have been on a preop liquid diet going on 3 weeks now and to be completely honest ...... it really sucks. I think it would be easier if I knew exactly when my surgery was going to be but my dr will be out for the rest of the week so it looks like I will have to wait. Any suggestions on how not to be so hungry? I drink a lot but ut is not satisfying. Oh and even more frustrating .... the first week I lost abour 20 lbs but now I only consum about 500 calories a day and i actually gained 4 lbs. This made me so sad and frustrated.

Hi Elizabeth, Welcome. Great job on your pre op weight loss, that will make the surgery so much easier and hopefully faster for the surgeons, I think I lost 15 lbs pre op, but I only had to do a week on a liquid diet and a low fat/low carb high protien meal plan for the month that preceeded it. With so few calories your body is being starved and is going into the mode where it thinks it is starving so it is trying to retain the reserves it has, the body is strange that way, 500 calories isn't a whole lot, if you are not restricted call your doctor and see if you can up your calorie intake and include foods like yogurt and cottage cheese until they set a date for you, with so few calories for such an extended period of time I would be concerned your body will start burning muscle mass for nutrients. Most pre op liquid diets are to shrink the liver and for some rapid weight loss before surgery. Let us know what you find out. :cool: Tom

Hi Elizabeth, sorry to hear you are having a rough time on your liquid diet. Was the 3 week mandatory? I only had to do 1 week of pre-op liquid diet. have you tried any protein drinks? I know how you feel about being sick of liquids. I had been doing liquids, this is now week 3, 1 week is post op. I can do full liquids now but I am still sick of liquids.

Elizabeth-Welcome to the forum and great job on your weight loss. Yeah, it would suck to have to stay on the liquid diet longer than what was originally planned. like Tom mentioned call the office to see of they will let you add something more satisifying like cream of wheat or oatmeal. I'm curious as to why the surgeon couldn't do your surgery if you care to share this information.

Hang in there and make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Hi everyone and thank you for your input. I have lost a total of 65 lbs since I started my journy and I am glad of that but now that I have been on the liquid diet I have platoed. I think you are right Tom my body is starting to attack its self because even with the protein drinks my legs are cramping and my body almost constantly aches and I get fatigued very easily. My brain is not working like it was prior to the liquid diet either. I had to put off the surgery for another week at least becauae when my mother in law passed away we had to use the surgery money for funeral expenses and we are now trying to use. Some 401k money and it hasnt come in yet.

I hope your money comes in soon but in the mean time see if you can add some food to your meal plans before your immune system gets knocked out due to lack of nutrition, it will make it much more difficult to heal up after surgery if you go into it malnourished. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Hi Tom
I'm having surgery in a week & I want to know what I can put in ice trays. I put tomato soup in ice cubes. Do you have any suggesting’s?? I would like to be prepared. Thank you I'm a little scared.
Cathy

Hi Cathy, thats a great Idea, I never thought about that, I had my WLS in the spring so it was still cool out. I think protien shakes would be good they might taste like a cream cicle:D of course yopu can also put crystal light and ther surgar free dinks into ice cubes for you drinks, the liquid meal plan is pretty bland, I thought and the roughest part for me, I am glad you found a way to jazz it up a little. I Think Pat from the forum also froze jello in popcicle molds. :cool: Tom

cat45
I hate to cook so could you give me some things I could make ahead of time so it would be easier to pop it out of the freezer?
I'm alone too (divorced).

Cathy

I know what you mean about cooking, I pre cook taco meat and my sausages so all I have to do heat and serve. I guess as far as the liquid stage goes you can freeze different cream soups, my favorite is split pea soup. I mostly lived on protien shakes and yogurt for my pre op meal plan and post op I was able to add more things as I progressed . I wish I could help you outr more but the pre op diet is pretty bland. :cool: Tom

If you go to myfitnesspal.com you can calculate the minimum calories that are recommended to lose weight SAFELY. This is not the amount of calories that you need to eat after surgery but can be a good tool pre-surgery until you are told to follow the pre-op diet by the surgeon or nutritionist.

You need to weigh yourself at the same time each day you weigh in because our weight fluctuates throughout the day. Also, it's not recommended to weigh every day, once or twice a week will give you a more accurate picture of your weight loss.

Back