• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight loss stall or a problem?

thakkar11997

Hi everyone! I had my surgery on Dec 14th 2015 in NJ and my starting weight was 362, at surgery 357, and right now 324. I am a little concerned about how slowly I am losing weight. One week after surgery in my 1 week post op appt, I lost 30 pounds and was at around 330-332 pounds. Ever since that 1st week post op appointment, I have not lost much weight anymore. Weightloss has slowed down significantly! I am now 324 pounds, so I only lost 6 additional pounds in those past 3 weeks after the 1st week post op appointment. I heard about the 3rd week stall and how dreadful it is, but I was just starting my second weak and I already hit a stall!!!?? Also, I feel like my body is holding onto water too much. I don't urinate much at all. I get all my liquids down per day, at least 48-64 oz per day. But whenever I urinate, I don't urinate as much as I used to pre op. I feel like this is because of the water retention that is happening with my body.

Is there a way to get rid of the excess water and actually see more weightloss? Is there a problem going on because I am not urinating enough? I don't know if this would help answer, but I had a nephrectomy when I was 1 year old due to abnormal functioning. I know that 38 pounds in 1 month is a lot, but I was expecting more weight loss after the 1st week then just 6-8 pounds. Even my surgeon was saying that the first 30 pounds I lost was all water weight.

I am getting a little discouraged because of the stall in my weight loss, but I am sticking to my guidelines my nutritionist and surgeon is giving me. Right now, I eat 2/3 of a triple zero greek yogurt in the morning, at around 10 am, I drink 1 serving of optimum nutrition protein supplement which is 24g. At lunch, I switch around day to day from pureed beans and cheese to peanut butter and cheese or sometimes chickpeas. I was and still am a vegetarian since birth so I will not be changing that. I also do not eat eggs. I have another protein supplement at around 3pm and at around 5pm I finish the last 1/3 of the greek yogurt that I started in the morning. My dinner is mostly the same as my lunch. I don't really get any time to put in vegetables or fruit or I would not get my protein in. I sometimes do drink 1 more protein supplement at night, and try to go towards a 100g goal of protein per day, less than 50g carbs, and 20-30g of fat.

I walk for about 70-80 minutes in the afternoon at least 3-4 days a week, I know I should be doing more like 5-7 days but I am working towards that goal. I never really exercised pre op.

I feel that I am doing everything correctly, but still am not losing more weight. I am not eating more than 700-800 calories a day, so I wonder how can I NOT lose weight? Is it possible that if I eat too little calories I can't lose weight? My nutritionist said no more than 1000 calories a day, and 700 calories is good enough. I shoot for 700-800.

Thanks for reading my big long concern, and any input would be great to have!

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Your weight loss is very good, right on track. You didn't gain your excess weight over night and you won't lose it over night. Losing weight is not magic, it requires time and the dedication to keep you eye on the "prize."

Being a male you probably will lose weight faster than most of us girls. :) You may plateau for a week or more then drop weight. Weight loss goes in cycles. Your body will try to hold on to your weight because it will try to protect you from starving. You will plateau then drop more weight. Just have patience. Keep on your diet and the weight will melt away but not in one month. You won't lose weight evenly on a schedule.

I also tend to hold water weight. I have a slight heart problem which causes this and I am prescribed Lasex for it. You may want to get your heart checked out.

Good luck and congratulations on your decision to have weight loss surgery. You will find it was the best decision of your life!

Cheyenne

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Your weight loss is very good, right on track. You didn't gain your excess weight over night and you won't lose it over night. Losing weight is not magic, it requires time and the dedication to keep you eye on the "prize."

Being a male you probably will lose weight faster than most of us girls. :) You may plateau for a week or more then drop weight. Weight loss goes in cycles. Your body will try to hold on to your weight because it will try to protect you from starving. You will plateau then drop more weight. Just have patience. Keep on your diet and the weight will melt away but not in one month. You won't lose weight evenly on a schedule.

I also tend to hold water weight. I have a slight heart problem which causes this and I am prescribed Lasex for it. You may want to get your heart checked out.

Good luck and congratulations on your decision to have weight loss surgery. You will find it was the best decision of your life!

Cheyenne

I tend to hold water weight too.

However, your journey has just begun.

The weight will come off. It has a mind of its own.

You will stall, drop suddenly, might even gain one week, but overall the weight will come off.

YOU MUST FOLLOW THE PLAN FAITHFULLY; ESPECIALLY IN YOUR FIRST TWO YEARS. These are the bonus years for you.

The easy years. Once you get your weight down you will have instilled new habits and hold on to them.

If you drift away from the good habits, YOU WILL KNOW, get back to it.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I am glad I seen your post I have been worried because my weight loss has not only stopped but some days I gain back 3 pounds I got to 253 and was so excited because I was 250 when I graduated high school so I was almost to that again but then I went back to 255 and back to 253 then back to 255 for about a month now and it has me worried . at least I know now there is nothing wrong with me and it is normal , but I really hope I don't stay stuck at this weight

Back