• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Well im back after pre-op today!!

well i will say it was very informative if nothing else!! We finished the paper work needed for surgery! I dropped another 24 lbs drinking 4 boosts a day and a lean dinner.they told me what to expect!i will be going in to have surgery on may 3rd @ 7:30am in the morning. The surgery will take approximately 1 1/2hrs to finish. I will be staying in the hospital 3 days on a pure liquid diet, on the 3rd day i will be going home! When discharged from the hospital i should be drinking 3oz. Of water an hour working my way to 6-8 oz. An hour! They told me my goal should be to reach 64 oz. Of fluid daily to prevent dehydration and constipation.they told me not to use a straw or gulp when drinking! Do not chew gum! Doing any of these will cause discomfort, bloating or gas!! I should be getting between 60-80 grams of protein daily after surgery for healing purposes! I will remain on the liquid diet for 7 days then go to stage 2 of my diet which is low fat, no sugar added, soft foods. Eating 3 meals a day portion size being 1-2 ounces maximum of course eating the protein first!! I do this until i return for my 2 week check up! I will be giving myself shots of medicine in which is a blood thinner for 2 weeks after surgery. I will be taking chewable multi-vitamins called fusion 4 times a day. They contain the highest amounts of calcium, b12, biotin, thiamine, and vitamin d3 for gastric bypass patients. Whew!! See i told you alot of information to take in all @ once! I hope this helps anyone needing information.
I will be continuing my 4 boosts a day lean dinner diet this week until i have surgery.. It wasnt mandatory by the doctor but i think its for the best to keep my mind in the right place! So anyone with any questions please feel free to ask..ill try to answer them to the best of my ability! Ill check back before may3rd to let you know how all is going!! Take care, god bless!!

You are doing GREAT, your instructions sound almost identical to mine and I am on the other coast, our doctors must have learned at the same place LOL! One differnce is I take a sublingual B12 and d3 or gel tab d3, and calcium chews and I take my iron about 4 hours after my calcium, if I remeber:rolleyes: because they bond together and cancel each other out if taken at the same time. Keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Awesome! If you cannot eat afterthe first week I suppose you can stay on liquids ~ My instructions were liquids through day 17 then pureed (sp) foods for two weeks before trying to actually eat any "Real" foods. My Surgery date is 7 May so it looks like we will be going through this together! :eek:

hi yankee girl

thanks for great info. You are doing great, congratulations on your weight loss already, i looked at boost drink yesterday at walmart and wondered how they taste.i am tired of drinking whey protein with skim milk, haven't had my surgery yet, see surgeon may4 hope to get my day in may.
Thanks for being so open and sharing it really helps, i love this room, since jan orfeb, this room has been my place of finding anwer's meeting new people and being allowed to talk about the surery openly without judgement from others whom don't understand us,)like family * friends) but that's ok i know i am doing this for health reasons and i want to be around for my kids. Keep us posted
happy for you for how well things are going for you.
Donna

DONNA, I BOUGHT EVERY FLAVOR OF THE GLUCOSE CONTROLLED BOOST INCLUDING VERY VANILLA, STRAWBERRY AND CHOCOLATE. I PREFER THE CHOCOLATE BY ALL MEANS. THE STRAWBERRY HAS AN AWFUL AFTER TASTE THAT I JUST COULD NOT HANDLE! YOU CAN GO TO http://www.boost.com/coupons-and-more AND SIGN UP AND IT WILL GIVE YOU $2.00 OFF COUPONS ON EVERY 1 MULTI-PACK YOU BUY WHICH IS AN AWESOME SAVINGS WHEN THEY ARE 8 DOLLARS A PIECE! ANY WHO, I HOPE THIS HELPED!!:)

Yankeegirl...I am so proud of you!!! Great job on the pre-surgery weight loss. It will help make the surgery easier on you and make your liver smaller which will help the surgeon. I know you are excited since your surgery date will be here before you know it. The best of luck to you. I will be thinking about you :)

Back