• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When can you take pills again

Sandie

Hi I am wondering when it is that you can take pills and capsules after the surgery? LIKE Prilosec, not looking forward to spilling out the capsule in applesauce!
Have ordered some chewable Calcium Citrate and have gotten in some protein drinks and some Carnation Instant Breakfast, have some Crystal Light, and sugarless jello. Did you know that when you buy Jello with sugar the package is about 4 oz and the Sugarless Jello the package is 0.44 oz. WHY?? does sugar weight that much more than sugar subsitute? Hope I have what I need for the first couple of weeks of this journey. I start the Protein diet day after Tgiving and then surgery 9 days later. Getting close but will be glad when it is all over. I get overwhelmed with the thought of the permanence of it all. It worries me that some people write about gaining back the weight but I guess it is like some people who quit smoking(me) and never smoke again and then there are people who quit and then go back to smoking after months or years, it is a mind set I hope!!!

Hi Sandie, I had my surgery on Tuesday and I am home. I have been taking my pills by swallowing with a small sip of water, which included prilosec, iron, magnesium soft gel, pain meds and the rest are chewable. Make sure you get sugar free popsicles they are wonderful and really do cool my mouth and quinch my thrist and it does apply towards your liquids for the day.

I have to say I am doing great...much better than I thought. You are going to be surprised, I have pain but I am keeping myself medicated and try to walk around the house as much as possible. I believe moving is key!!!

Take care, you are gonna do GREAT!!! and don't give those cigarettes another thought so far doing well with that too!!! God is good!! :)

Oh my gosh, I shocked you are home already, and doing so well. You certainly gave me a bunch of hope to do so well. Congrats!!! God Bless!! I'm going to move move move.

time4me GREAT to see you are doing so well and thanks for the answers. I thought I was told to NOT take tablets or capsules after the surgery but I did not remember for how long they said. Your pain meds are tablets or chewable or liquid? Did you have RNY? Sounds great and I think you are right, take the pain meds so you are ahead ofthe pain and not wait til it is really bad! Where did you have your surgery, John Hopkins?

When your surgeon advises you that you are ready! Everyone is different. Ask lot's of questions when you have your post ops and you'll be fine!

Sandie-I have been taking pills since my first day home from the hospital. The direction I was given is as long as the pill isn't any larger than an M&M I can swallow it whole. But check with your surgeon (or nutritionist) first since they may have different instructions. As for your prilosec, you're probably better off opening the capsule and putting the tiny little beads inside of it directly onto your tongue and swallowing with a few tiny sips of cool water. Just be sure not to bite into the tiny beads because they taste really bitter. The beads in the prilosec will start to disslove within a minute in the applesauce and taste VERY bitter. To answer your question about sweeteners, the equivalent of 1 packet is usually compared to 2 teaspoons of sugar but is a fraction of the weight and size of sugar that's why the sugar free Jell-O is light in comparison to regular Jell-O.

They made me crush all my pills for about a month because of the lap band. Now I just cut them in half. Remember you cannot take extended release versions of anything, aspirin or NSAIDS are usually avoided or not taken at all. I can take small capsules now. The best bet is to ask at your Center, they are a phone call away. Every Center has their own routine orders and directions.

Joy

i just want to say that i had my surgery rny on monday nov 12. i have never had one pain pill and feel absolutely great. my biggest problem is getting in the 60-80 oz. of liguids everyday. i havent done it yet but am working on a schedule. i know i must eat or drink (really drink) every 15 minutes to help correct this. i have walked around my community each day since i have been home and sometimes twice. usually after a walk i was
taking a nap but then i lose two hours of drinking so cant do that anymore. maybe one nap a day. my sleeping hasnt been all that good. i even believe i have become a little dehydrated. thus the every 15 minutes faithfully. i even purchased a timer and carry it with me at all time. i dont care if it will bother people when i am visiting or sitting in a movie but i will be using it faithfully. if everyone follows their dieticians suggestions,they will do just fine. i am lucky i have mine. she is great.

Polo-Good to hear from you. Congratulations on your weight loss!!! I always carry something to drink with me no matter what. I can drink several ounces at a time because my surgery was over 8 months ago. When I was first out from surgery I could only have small sips but I sipped every couple of minutes and didn't have any issues with dehydration. If you think you are dehydrated try taking a sip every 10 minutes instead of every 15 minutes. It's very important to stay hydrated.

I think it took a month to take meds without crushing. I now can take all with the exception of calcium which I still have to split in half. I also still take chewable multivitamins. I just have to remember the timing of vitamins. I have to take my iron at least 2 hours before I take calcium. I take extra biotin with my multi which also has biotin and other b vitamins together. I also have been told to split up taking my multi vitamins to one in morning and one in the evening. I was so happy the day I didn't have to crush my vitamins and meds. I guess talk to your doctor and use your judgement as you don't want anything to get stuck.

Polo!

I'm so glad to see you. And Congratulations on your surgery and ongoing recovery.

About hydration . . . ounce for ounce, you will get better hydration from an electrolytic solution than from plain water. Please check with your medical team first, of course.

There are lots of electrolyte drinks out there. Some surgeons even recommend their wls patients sip on G2 (Gatorade without all the sugar), rather than plain water.

Let us know what you find out.

Keep on, keeping on. You're doing great!!!

Back