• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Who else is in the holiday spirit?!

Judy, not only would I love to hear you sing, I'd stick around for belches, hacks, harumphs or any ordinary squeak or pop your body might make. You've been a beacon of light here for a long time, and I haven't said it more because part of your glow is just being self actualized enough to give it away instead of gobbling it up. Imagine my heart brimming with admiration for you. I know you can, because you know it's true.

Holidays are simply not a happy time for a huge part of the world population. The stack of "please give" letters stuffed in my mailbox don't help. One-year, I wrote "deceased" on them and put them in outgoing mail. Backfired big time. They came back stamped with notes asking for forwarding addresses.

Aside from a sense of personal failure, people I love seem to be suffering. And those I've supported when they were down seem oblivious to my need for love and companionship.

But worst of all is how stupid I am. I got an email from a famous author, a historic figure whose been friends with me for decades. She emails and snail-mails with me a few times a year. It's a genuine honor but for some reason, I don't appreciate it as much as I should. I haven't even written her back.

I used to love the end-of-the-year holidays. But then everything became so fake and loaded with conditions. I need to take my $200 7' gorgeous fake tree down to St. Vincents so some family can stand it up gloriously in their living room.

Anyway, I'm truly happy for you who will celebrate. I know youd be caroling outside my door if you could. But there comes a point for some where it's simply exhausting, not joyful, and hectic, not peaceful. Those are the times I used to sit in the dark and watch snow fall through the streetlight glow and feel peace on earth. Unfortunately, it rarely snows in Seattle anymore.

Okay, no more whining. Even if my life isn't joyful anymore because of age and poverty and depression, I can reach out to someone sleeping on the streets with a dollar or a meal in a lunch sack. I may have a decade left to live, so I need to fight to make those ten-ish years as loving as possible.

After all, ive had an extraordinary life.
I understand what you're saying Diane. If my daughters were still not speaking to me, the holidays would be a lot harder for me. I have to tell you that I am still struggling with my depression too, and my ongoing health issues are not helping. I do my best to try and stay positive when I can.

I'm sorry things seem so gloomy for you. I'd love to come sing for you as well, but I'm not even allowed to sing in my home!

Hang in there sweetie, the next decade may very well be the best 10 years of your life. I plan on making them mine!

Judy, not only would I love to hear you sing, I'd stick around for belches, hacks, harumphs or any ordinary squeak or pop your body might make. You've been a beacon of light here for a long time, and I haven't said it more because part of your glow is just being self actualized enough to give it away instead of gobbling it up. Imagine my heart brimming with admiration for you. I know you can, because you know it's true.
Thank you Diane and right back at ya!

I understand what you're saying Diane. If my daughters were still not speaking to me, the holidays would be a lot harder for me. I have to tell you that I am still struggling with my depression too, and my ongoing health issues are not helping. I do my best to try and stay positive when I can.

You fill my heart. I couldn't stay as positive or even cope if I had to experience what you have. I'm so happy for your small victories, and so grateful for your contributions to our group.

Holidays are simply not a happy time for a huge part of the world population. The stack of "please give" letters stuffed in my mailbox don't help. One-year, I wrote "deceased" on them and put them in outgoing mail. Backfired big time. They came back stamped with notes asking for forwarding addresses.

Aside from a sense of personal failure, people I love seem to be suffering. And those I've supported when they were down seem oblivious to my need for love and companionship.

But worst of all is how stupid I am. I got an email from a famous author, a historic figure whose been friends with me for decades. She emails and snail-mails with me a few times a year. It's a genuine honor but for some reason, I don't appreciate it as much as I should. I haven't even written her back.

I used to love the end-of-the-year holidays. But then everything became so fake and loaded with conditions. I need to take my $200 7' gorgeous fake tree down to St. Vincents so some family can stand it up gloriously in their living room.

Anyway, I'm truly happy for you who will celebrate. I know youd be caroling outside my door if you could. But there comes a point for some where it's simply exhausting, not joyful, and hectic, not peaceful. Those are the times I used to sit in the dark and watch snow fall through the streetlight glow and feel peace on earth. Unfortunately, it rarely snows in Seattle anymore.

Okay, no more whining. Even if my life isn't joyful anymore because of age and poverty and depression, I can reach out to someone sleeping on the streets with a dollar or a meal in a lunch sack. I may have a decade left to live, so I need to fight to make those ten-ish years as loving as possible.

After all, ive had an extraordinary life.
Oh Diane, my heart aches when I think of you experiencing pain that overtakes the joy that being alive, at a healthy weight, and living your best life brings. I too would be joining in singing nearly at the top of my lungs after providing earplugs & earmuffs for everyone else. I hope you can find bits and pieces of beauty & happiness and to make your own special collage that brings you some peace & gladness. Sounds kinda corny, I know, but this comes from my heart. ❤❤❤❤

I know! That's the only component missing here. But I'll bet a lot of us feel the love is more real online than in some "real" groups we've belonged to. Thanks, Miss Almost-a-Tarheel Karen!

And lest I sound more pathetic than I am, I took my Christmas savings and bought fabulous gifts for my loved ones today.

Then I immediately let them know not to buy me anything. Money will be just fine, says I.

Kathi, I'm sorry you're still not feeling well. I hate that it is taking so long for them to get you well. Although I am very happy to hear that the girls, and especially your grandson, are coming for Christmas. Bonus points that you don't have to cook LOL My son comes by every year and fluffs the tree branches for me, since I hate that part. It takes FOREVER to get them right, so maybe it's good you're going slow ;)

Diane, I am so sorry to hear that the holidays are so rough on you. It always saddens me that so many are unhappy. Even though I can certainly understand it. Life piles on over the years, until it sometimes feels like you're buried by it. There are so many memories around holidays and not all of them are good, even in the most loving families. I cry every year I put my tree up, placing ornaments that used to belong to loved ones now gone, listening to my first Christmas CD given to me by an aunt who passed when I was a child. And my husband's father and my closest aunt both passed away within a week before Xmas (different years). Add in decorating, shopping, baking etc and it can get exhausting.

That being said, I love it. The glow of the Christmas lights softens reality for me. It's like booze but without the side effects lol So, just know that I will be thinking of you with love this season. If you are feeling alone, or fed up, just know that there are people out here, for I'm sure I'm not the only one, wishing you peace and happiness. Also, respond to your friend. At the end of the day, friends are just as important as family and worth the effort.

Got my wrapping done today! I feel like I am ahead of schedule this year. Just have my baking but I'm not going to overdo it. I've decided to do less, which in my case will be more than enough.

Here's a few pics. Top left is our rescue Shih Tzu, 8 year old Pico. Below he is pictured with our mixed breed 8 year old Sky. As I type this, I think it is funny how we rescued a dog earlier this year that is the same age as our other dog! They are perfect for each other. Sky was rather depressed prior to us getting Pico as we lost our German Shepard earlier in the year. He is now himself again, and Pico is a sweetie! Not pictured are our 3 cats. One of these days I will get a picture of them in there too, but they didn't feel like posing today. :)

I'm so envious! I have to do gift cards this year. I did get a few things online for the baby and Jack, but I have no idea where I will find the ability to to wrap them. I finally finished my part of getting the tree ready to decorate yesterday. Jack started last night. My BP medication is helping, but my SVTs are happening frequently. When I got up to take a shower today, I had three episodes in less than a half an hour. It's exhausting. On the plus side, my weight is down to 156 lbs!

I'm so envious! I have to do gift cards this year. I did get a few things online for the baby and Jack, but I have no idea where I will find the ability to to wrap them. I finally finished my part of getting the tree ready to decorate yesterday. Jack started last night. My BP medication is helping, but my SVTs are happening frequently. When I got up to take a shower today, I had three episodes in less than a half an hour. It's exhausting. On the plus side, my weight is down to 156 lbs!
Congrats on your weight loss. Please try to take it easy this holiday season. You are more important than any Christmas preps or activities. ❤❤

Oh wow! Luckily none of our pets bother the presents. In fact the cats no longer climb the tree! It use to be hilarious watching the tree move when we had a big tree. It would be double trouble if two were in it at the same time and be on the same side of the tree..... timber!!! But they outgrew that and I guess the little tree is too lame for them, ha ha!

Same! All my presents are wrapped and sitting in my mom's room. My cat thinks the tree skirt is for sleeping and presents are for scratching. So, they go out on Christmas morning. As promised, I am sharing a few photos of my decorations. However, I do this from my home computer and have to resize every damn one, so these are all I have the patience for lol But I think you can tell by the overview of the dining room that every wall is covered. I cannot tell you how much I love to sit with all but the Xmas lights off at night and play Christmas tunes on low. I would leave it up all year if it wasn't so hard to clean around lol

Same! All my presents are wrapped and sitting in my mom's room. My cat thinks the tree skirt is for sleeping and presents are for scratching. So, they go out on Christmas morning. As promised, I am sharing a few photos of my decorations. However, I do this from my home computer and have to resize every damn one, so these are all I have the patience for lol But I think you can tell by the overview of the dining room that every wall is covered. I cannot tell you how much I love to sit with all but the Xmas lights off at night and play Christmas tunes on low. I would leave it up all year if it wasn't so hard to clean around lol

View attachment 4880View attachment 4881View attachment 4882
I LOVE seeing Christmas decorations, esp things that hang from the ceiling. I even giggle whenever I see pickup trucks with wreaths, candy canes, reindeer antlers etc on the front grills. I don't decorate our tiny apartment except with Christmas cards, but I cannot get enough of other people's decorations. Thanks for sharing pics. Def lifts my spirits on gloomy days like today. :):)

View attachment 4880View attachment 4881View attachment 4882
OMG, Missy! You decorate like I would if I was could! I even bought Christmas jigsaw puzzles to put together to hang as decorations, but only one is hung. For the record I want everyone to know my condition in not life threatening. It is frustrating more than anything. It is the combination of the low blood pressure and the SVTs that has been debilitating, but nothing to worry about. My spirits are up. I'm going to try to help decorate the tree in a bit. I may even go visit a neighbor. I love seeing all of your Christmas pictures!

Back