• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Will I ever be normal again?

jlcrimm

I can now eat, but I kinda scared too! There is a fear of stretching my stomach and gaining my weight back terrifies me. Will I ever be able to drink a pepsi again? or eat popcorn at the movies? I just feel like an out cast. I know Food shouldn't be so important!!!! but I think it is.And when my family orders pizza, I want some. Does this go away? I just want to cry. I know I did this for a reason, but I had no idea how much a part food plays in our lives.
Julie

Julie,

I miss the carbonated beverages but it has gotten so much easier. I drink iced tea and crystal lite for the most part. It has been so worth it that I really don't mind. If you follow the diet plan as prescribed you will not stretch your new pouch and the weight will come off and you will be so pleased with how good you feel. This is a rather long commitment since it is for the rest of your life. I can have a soda if I let it go flat first but I don't like them at all. Later on you might be able to have thin crust pizza. What they did at my center was to give you a list of fast food that you could have when you tolerated it, the size of the portion and the protein content. The rule in general is to avoid fast food but I am sure they knew people won't do that. It is a lot of trial and error, but check with your nutritionist later on, and see what they say. Since I have diverticulosis popcorn is not an option. I wonder how well it can be chewed. I don't even eat corn as it doesn't set well with me. In reality, there is probably very little you will be denied forever but you will have to be careful that things don't get out of hand. Look forward to better days as you continue on this journey. Try to focus on all the healthy things you CAN have now rather than the things you cannot have. Just the little trick I used as I progressed through the levels of my food plans. Joy

You know why you did the surgery and you have to remember that, diabetics cannot have sugar and neither will I be able to, seltzer soda I will miss but it is not worth my life, kind of do I want to die sooner so I can have a diet pepsi. What I am really going to miss is Choc Chip Cookies, Ginger Snaps, Ice Cream slow churned, but what we gain is loss of weight and more years to live, for me it is worth every other loss or at least that is what I AM TELLING MYSELF:)
We can do this for sure, lets do it together with the rest of this forum.

Hi Julie, don't worry you will be able to eat most of the same foods you used to eat just in much smaller portions and you will enjoy them a lot more because you will take the time chew them up savoring every bute, they say our tastebuds change and maybe they do but we also chew stuff up a lot better now so we can really taste the food and find out what we really like. As for soda pop "NO!":eek: But iced tea and other surgar free non carbonated beverages will be able to fill that void, try surgar free Snapples:eek: they are some of my favorites but I don't buy them very much I usually buy S/F Hawiian punch flavors they are very good. It would rtake a great deal of uncomfortable eating to stretch out your pouch and you really don't want to go there it would be quite painful and not worth it. I remeber being felt left out while everyone around me was eating and yes depression did set in at times, but over time you can train yourself to make healthy choices and still eat foods you like, just give it time. And as long as you were normal before surgery you will still be normal, my Doc said there is still no cure to make me normal LOL:p Tom

jlcrimm-I had an RNY and can no longer have carbonated beverages. I suppose if ALL of the bubbles are stirred out then an occasional sugar free pepsi would be OK. I gave up diet coke more than a year before my surgery and to tell you the truth don't miss it at all. There are so many more options available that more than make up for it. You will eventually be able to eat popcorn but with very little or no butter added. I'm surprised you are craving this stuff so soon after your surgery. You must be healing very fast. Be sure to follow the guidelines you were given for food so that you don't cause any injury to yourself. When your food plan allows it make yourself a "legal" pizza using low fat or fat free cheese. It tastes really good. There is no reason to deprove yourself of your favorite foods but you just have to make them in a more healthy way. And if you make enough for your family I'm almost positive they will enjoy it too and be more healthy than they are.

Hang in there, it gets easier. If you get your protein in you shouldn't crave things so much.

Thanks to everyone for their posts, they made me feel better. aAs for craving these foods, I don't think I am . I think it is in my mind.
Julie

jlcrimm, with the sleeve you can have carbonated beverages after a time. But why ingest the empty calories? In my generation we were weaned on coca cola, so it's hard to give up, but I haven't had a full strength coke in years (pre-surgery). I don't think I'd even like the taste if I tried.

Back