• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Working on Recovery

Aly

Hello everyone!
I had my surgery on March 7th and when I awoke was surprised to find that I had a few complications during surgery. I had a hernia that they had to repair, twisted bowels they had to straighten and scar tissue from previous surgery that they had to take out. I was in a great deal of pain the first day and had a lot of gas pressure the second day. I came home the next day and have been struggling with getting protein into my diet since. I have been just sticking with sipping my water or crystal light and having an ounce of pudding or jello a day. I can't seem to stomach the protein yet but my doctor says not to worry just yet about it and concentrate on getting my fluids in. I gained about 10lbs of fluid weight when I was in the hospital and have dropped a couple of those pounds since coming home. One thing I am struggling with is grieving for my food. I sometimes get emotional about the foods that my family is eating while I can't eat anything. Has anyone else had this happen? I know that eventually I will be able to eat what they are eating but it seems SO far away!!!!

Aly-Sorry to hear about your troubles. They sure sent you home fast. I had my RNY on 2/27 and didn't come home until 3/1. I also gained fluids, 23 lbs. The surgeon said I had a lot of adhesions from a hernia surgery that I had last June so he had to perform the RNY differently than he normally does. I couldn't have protein drinks until 7 days after surgery so it's no wonder you are having problems with yours. You will probably start wanting to eat / drink more in a couple of days. Since I live alone I don't have the grief of not being able to eat what other's are having. But I am craving pasta like crazy which was my food of choice prior to surgery. It won't be too much longer before you will be done with phases 3 and 4 and will be able to slowly re-introduce "normal" food back into your system. I have read on this forum that some people end up not liking some of the foods they used to love before surgery.

Just rest for now and get your fluids in. Once you are able to handle your protein shakes make sure you get at least 60 grams a day. Everything else will fall into place. Dropping off the rest of the extra fluid will also make you feel much better. Take care of yourself and come back to the forum to keep us posted and to offer advice to the people just starting the process.

My doctor does have a quick turn around for surgery and hospital stays. Most people are in there for only one night and are sent home with blood thinners and pain meds. We are told to start Diet Stage 2 when we come home but I seem to only be able to drink water or Crystal light and have a popsicle or 2 a day. I'm hoping that will be enough fluids for now until I can tolerate my protein shakes. It's amazing how different doctors require different things from their patients. Thanks for the support Pat and I will try to keep my chin up and look forward to the day when I can eat something!!

Hi Aly, Sorry to hear you had a rough time, I spent two nights in the hospital and I cant remember when I started protien, 2 years seems so long ago. I had a lot of emotions post surgery, I really did miss my food the last week pre op and for about a week post op, I tried keeping a positive attitude the best I could, I also had moments of regret, thinking if I had done the right thing and what if it didn't work, but I knew in my heart that I had done the right thing and did a lot of soul searching before I had the surgery. It was temporary though and I have no regrets, our bodies go through a lot of changes and it takes time to get used to a healthier and thinner us. It may sound crazy but I still look in the mirror and see the fat me sometimes, and I have gone from a 46 inch waist to a 36 inch waist, I have XL jackets that I out grew years ago that are now baggy on me but at times my brain still cant comprehend the thinner me but it does like the healthier me. It is a wonderful journey though and I wouldn't do anything different. Hang in there it will get better :cool: Tom

Hello everyone!
I had my surgery on March 7th and when I awoke was surprised to find that I had a few complications during surgery. I had a hernia that they had to repair, twisted bowels they had to straighten and scar tissue from previous surgery that they had to take out. I was in a great deal of pain the first day and had a lot of gas pressure the second day. I came home the next day and have been struggling with getting protein into my diet since. I have been just sticking with sipping my water or crystal light and having an ounce of pudding or jello a day. I can't seem to stomach the protein yet but my doctor says not to worry just yet about it and concentrate on getting my fluids in. I gained about 10lbs of fluid weight when I was in the hospital and have dropped a couple of those pounds since coming home. One thing I am struggling with is grieving for my food. I sometimes get emotional about the foods that my family is eating while I can't eat anything. Has anyone else had this happen? I know that eventually I will be able to eat what they are eating but it seems SO far away!!!!
Hi aly during phase 2 into 3 I found myself obsessing about food and what i could not have, it lasted only till phase 4 and when i started having somewhat normal food it went away, i am never hungry and force myself to eat! good luck to you

I'm supposed to start phase 4 in a day or two. Based on how I feel toward food today I could care less about starting the soft food variety that phase 4 allows. Back when I was on phase 1 and 2 I couldn't wait for phase 4. Now that it's here it's a different story *LOL*. Just hang in there and you will probably lose your interest in what everyone else is eating. I think the ramp up from phase 1 to phase 4 is designed to do just that. There is method in the madness :)

No matter what make sure you get your protein and fluids in each day!

Back