• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 days out and have some questions

Fbblondie

Hi, everyone I'm new and need somewhere where I can talk and ask questions. First, how can I get protein when I'm on a clear liquid diet I see some people are saying they are getting protein and I want to know how or if your even sopose to.
Second: I want to know if anybody at the 3 day mark has their brains playing tricks with them? For example, my brain is telling me I'm soooo hungry starving in fact but I know I'm not cause just water makes my stomach so full but my brain keeps on telling me I'm starving and need real food! Please let me know if this is normal I am 3 days out and 12 pounds down

Hi Fbblondie,

Did they give you a menu plan that tells you what you can have and when you can have it? All Centers are different. My Center allowed Shakes made with Unjury protein in clear crystal lite so I could get the protein from day one at home. I got my liquids with sugar free jello, and popsicles, sips of tea, and water. The shakes counted toward my daily liquid intake and at first it was hard to get in all I needed but it got easier. I really think you need to address your question to the nutritionist at your center, but at mine the protein shakes counted toward the clear liquids for two weeks. Just remember to sip sip sip and when you can eat remember to chew chew chew. It is a bit hard at first. Do ask at your center what they want you to do. Good luck. Head games are frequent among us. For me it was just the desire to have something to chew rather than actually being hungry. Once I realized that it was lots easier. Joy

I just had my surgery on Friday and although I couldn't never eat food right now I've been having those same thoughts. Almost like cravings but ones I wouldn't indulge because I'm so full feeling (from gas, etc). I dunno....the thoughts aren't scary though bc they feel very fleeting. I wonder if they will continue or if I will have to do some major brain work on refocusing! :)

Hi, it is normal for people to have cravings after surgery, but as you've said, they tend to be fleeting because you are not really hungry. These feelings tend to fade in time. I do get hungry on occasion, but only when I don't eat. I do sometimes think I'm hungry until I realize that I'm just bored and that is when I would eat all the stuff that isn't good for me. Stick to the plan given to you by your doctor and you'll do fine. Congrats to both of you on your surgery, keep losing.

Frank

:cool:

Just remember you are in control with a little practice you'll just ignore those messages your old self is sending you. Stay focused on your goals and luckily the surgery makes succumbing to those messages almost impossible to give into. Keep the faith and use your happy places as a distraction.

good luck

Thanks everyone for the support. My doctor told me for the first week they don't want me to focus on protein and want me to focus on just drinking until next week. My "head hunger" is slightly going down each day. I survived Easter haha :) thanks again everyone.

Thank you everyone as well! Fbblondie, my doctor said the same thing. I am to concentrate on clear liquids until my follow up on Friday so it seems as though I am in the same boat as you are! Nice to have some company! =) Fkrebs and Dcepello you guys are really awesome. I have read some of your posts and you are both very supportive and inspiring. Thank you!

Surgery was on Monday, April 22

Fbblondie,

This is my first post so I am hoping you have been able to find some solutions you can share with me.

I know how you feel. I wonder about the protein on clear liquids, also.

I am 60 years old, but I am alone tonight for the first time and to be honest with you...I am scared!
Just like a little girl.

I don't feel like drinking anything, but I know I have to.

The S/F Popsicles JavaJoy reminded me of in her post was a good idea.
I think I'll have one tonight and turn in for my first day at home.

FBBLONDIE-Sorry for not responding earlier to your initial post but I had had surgery recently and spent 3 weeks away from home and my computer while in the hospital and rehab. It looks like your question regarding protein and clear liquids has been answered. As for wanting to eat when you know you really aren't hungry, this is normal for some of us. Since overeating is a habit it will take time to overcome. As you already know, WLS is not some magic bullet that automatically cures all that ails us. Just stick to the meal plan you were given and before you know it the intense craving you are feeling for food will become much less of a craving. To be honest it will probably not go away completely but you can, and will, overcome it. My surgery was over a year ago and I still sometimes think I can pile up my plate like I did before surgery. I'm laughing as I write this because I can't even eat a whole sandwich let alone a big plate of food but that doesn't stop me from thinking about it. My pouch gets so uncomfortable if I eat even 1 or 2 bites too much and that quickly brings me back to reality.

Congratulations on your decision to have WLS and your weight loss :) :) :) Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

Back