• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

30 minute meals?

applewart

I have tried and tried but cannot force myself to take 30 minutes to consume 4 oz. Call it A.D.D. or no patience but I have even tried eating with a baby spoon. If I am not getting sick is it really that big a deal. i do however wait 30 min before and after to drink.

Thanks, Roy

Hi Roy, it drives me crazy to make my meals last 30 minutes. When I was in the hospital they brought me some hot tea and the little Assistant was aghast that I didn't make it last for 30 minutes. For one thing it gets cold and is no longer tasty so I know where you are coming from. I checked my nutrition information and found a rule for twenty minutes and found that much better and easier to tolerate. I put my fork or spoon down between bites and that helps a lot. Good luck. Also chew chew chewing helps a lot too to use up some of that time.

I do 20 minutes. In the begining it was hard to get everything down in that time. As time goes on it gets easier. Although there are some foods I can't take 20 minutes with. Oatmeal tops the list. I usually stretch it to 10-12 minutes. After that, the spoon can stand up by itself. Since I add protein powder it tends to get thicker. When you get into eating solid protein like fish and chicken it takes longer to chew and fullness often comes before you finish. I didn't push it. Do the best you can.

My nutritionist has me eating meals for 20 minutes as well. She suggests small bites with a baby spoon. She said that the reason of the time limit is to make sure enough nutrients are being consumed. I'm currently seven weeks out and just started the soft foods phase. I have a hard time getting in all my food, more importantly the protein. I've been assured to keep persevering. It'll come.

I know they say to focus only on your meal you are eating. But for me, in order to make my meal take 30 mins, I must occupy myself a bit. So I have my phone and play games or log in my calories for the meal, plan next meal or meals for next day. Read up on my AB friends. I find it helps. My issue now, and remember I am pre op is my meals are cold by the time I am half way done. My fiancé says hes going to get me a hot plate so it stays warm. But I wouldn't think there would be any problems with taking a little less time, as long as you are not making yourself ill.

I don't know if this will work for you but my nutritionist has me eating with my left hand. I am right handed and spill most of it so it is slowing me down. I too am pre-op but want to master as much as possible before surgery. Also do not cut food up before eating. Instead cut the food with your non dominate hand and lay the fork and knife down while you chew. Yes this creates the humorous show at my table during dinner.

ahh good times ahead

Slowing down while eating is something I'm still trying to master. I HATE cold food, so I know your pain. I use many of the tips above, the other thing is, I talk with my wife, more often "talk to" as she continues to eat. I think a meal lasts about 15 minutes. Very difficult to get to 20, much less 30 minutes. If you have a better solution, please share it with us.

Frank

:cool:

Slowing down while eating is something I'm still trying to master. I HATE cold food, so I know your pain. I use many of the tips above, the other thing is, I talk with my wife, more often "talk to" as she continues to eat. I think a meal lasts about 15 minutes. Very difficult to get to 20, much less 30 minutes. If you have a better solution, please share it with us.

I wonder if putting a plate or bowl atop a coffee cup warmer or even on a heating pad (covered with a good looking placemat) is feasible?

I have to share this little tidbit with you. I went to a birthday party for one of my Grands and I ate very slowly because I have to do smaller bites and chew more. One of the Grands started drumming on the table, he wanted to do cake and ice cream but his Mother told him that he had to wait for Gramma to finish eating first. I felt so bad so I told them in the future to go ahead with cake and ice cream because I probably would not be eating any anyway and things have gotten much better. Thank heavens for a supportive family for the most part because they always let me know ahead of time what they are having for dinner since each grand gets to pick what they want and that way I can take what I can eat with me. On Easter my dessert was a Greek yogurt with strawberries instead of bunny cake and I enjoyed every bite. (slowly of course - better than ice cream)

Last edited:
Since almost everyone has a microwave it would only take a few seconds to warm up your food once or twice during your meal. I walk very slow and by the time I get to where I eat my food is almost cold. I am thinking of taking my small microwave out of storage and plugging it in closer where I eat so I too can enjoy a warm meal once in a while. Why stop there? I have a small portable fridge in the garage that would look good sitting next to the small microwave. Think of the possibilities of having both a fridge and a microwave within arms reach :) :) :)

If I fix an egg I usually end up eating it standing up by the stove because it's the one thing I don't like to reheat in the microwave and I don't like it cold *LOL*

I was never told to make a meal last 30 minutes. That is so odd to me. The 30 minute guideline for drinking has proven very important. If I drink something before, I barely eat. If after, well, I just can't drink for about 30 minutes after a meal, so that's a non-issue. But that 30 minutes to make a meal last? I don't get it.

I blew my nutritionist away when I finally fessed up to her I was eating about 10 times a day, tiny meals. She was aghast and sent me straight over to the surgeon's office for what she thought would be an education for me. He came back with....some people have to eat all day. Watch what you consume, keep it clean, follow normal guidelines, and let's see how it works.

Other than my stint in the hospital last week for low potassium (my fault for not drinking the liquid potassium), all other blood work was perfect. So I'm doing something right. He educated my nutritionist.

Thing is, nutritionists learn what is in the books. They work very hard to guide us to good health through how we eat, vitamins and minerals. A noble profession. But they don't know everything.

Is everyone aware it takes 10 minutes after consumption for our bodies to absorb the vitamins and minerals from what we eat? But that's all the time we have. I was told this by my surgeon because of my dumping. I was at one point malnurished. I had to add fiber to my diet to stop the dumping so I could keep the food inside of me for 10 minutes.

Just my 2 cents.

Letrell

Back