• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Body Scan

ascooke63

Did anyone else have the full body dexiscan that shows yout Fat mass, lean Mass, and Skeletal Frame ? My sister shows a clear break in her upper left arm. Mine did not show any breaks. She has had pain in this arm but did not thinkit was broken. Could it be? Is it Just a fluke in the scan? Shouln't have someone caught it if it is a break. It looks so obvious but we are not radiologist? Anyone have any ideas or similiar story? Thanks sandra

If a radiologist reviewed the scan and concluded a break then I'm sure your sister had a break at some point in her life. I was having some intense shoulder pain over a long period of time so my PCP ordered X-rays to see what the problem was. The X-rays showed a fair amount of arthritis but also clearly showed a healed fracture near the joint. I remembered an incident from about 3 years ealier when I went fishing and was making a hole in the ice with a manual auger. I was in a shallow area and hit a rock and I felt and heard my shoulder pop. I had some moderate to severe pain over the next couple of months. I'm thinking this is when I fractured it. I eventually went to the doctor but she didn't order any X-rays at that time so the fracture went un-noticed.

OUCH:mad: Pat you must have a very high tolerance for pain, I would have gone crying all the waty to the doctors office:eek: Tom

Problem is Pat they didnt catch it when she asked about it the technician was very non chalant and said oh they can happen if you move during the scan, she has been having pain over the last few months and when she looked back at her scan it appears to be a totally clean ad seperated break and totally out of line in her upper arm between shoulder an elbow. She is going to her pcp tomorrow to get a new x-ray but if iwas broken then no telling how it has healed now.

Ascooke-The technician's aren't allowed to make conclusive comments on X-rays they take. It's a wise thing to have another one taken so that your sister will know for sure. If is was broken and healed now it shouldn't present any issues but it will be nice to know one way or the other. The problem with some of us is that we sometimes don't insist that our doctor reconsider their diagnosis when we know darn well something is wrong. I have learned through the years to challenge the diagnosis if I'm having unexplained pain. Some of these doctor's sometimes just blow off pain and that's just not right. If a patient has a history of continually complaining and makes very frequent visits to the doctor without being diagnosed with a condition that requires treatment or meds that's another story but for the rest of us that only go see the doc when we KNOW something is wrong then the doc needs to take the time to actually pay better attention to what we are saying. That's why I have had the same PCP for almost 25 years; she knows when I show up that I have a real issue.

Is your sister ill with anyother problem? Could be a "pathological fracture" which means it just broke and no injury and there is usually and underlying problem so do not let anyone poopoo her and her pain!!!! It needs attention esp if it looks unhealed.

Back