• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Coming out

lacey

I have decided that I am coming out today on facebook and on google! Now anyone who knows me knows that I am going to have this surgery and they know exactly how much I weigh!
I look at it this way, if you want to be a negative force in my life....I can show you the door if you can not find it on your own.
I have really not given 2 shits of what people have thought of me ever since I came to realize that no one else's opinion of me matters....so I am letting everyone know that I am going to have the surgery.
So get on board or get the hell out of my way.
I am taking my blog to a daily forum. I am going public with the lifelong struggle and how I got here today. No more hiding!! Lacey ( dianna)

Way to kick it up a notch. I've been blogging about my journey since Oct. Everyone knows I've had the surgery and I'll happily discuss it with anyone who wants to know more about it. My wife says the Dr's office should pay me a commission. So far four people have gone to him and

Way to go! I can't even tell my mother. I need some teen rebellion left to keep her from using guilt to keep me from having the procedure.
I am so proud you feel comfortable telling the world

Way to go! I can't even tell my mother. I need some teen rebellion left to keep her from using guilt to keep me from having the procedure.
I am so proud you feel comfortable telling the world

I do need to call my mother....she does not do facebook...nor does she own a computer....lol

Good for you Lacey!!! Just wondering though...do you have people in your life that wouldn't support you? I had one person but I got rid of her a couple yrs ago. Best decision I ever made:) Good luck with everything!!! I LOVE your attitude!!!

Way to kick it up a notch. I've been blogging about my journey since Oct. Everyone knows I've had the surgery and I'll happily discuss it with anyone who wants to know more about it. My wife says the Dr's office should pay me a commission.
You've seen those tshirts and bumper stickers "Let me tell you about my grandchildren..." You should get one that says "Let me tell you about my bariatric surgery" :)

I have decided that I am coming out today on facebook and on google! am letting everyone know I am taking my blog to a daily forum. I am going public with the lifelong struggle and how I got here today. No more hiding!! Lacey ( dianna)
I don't trust facebook. It's too open and once something is out there, it's out there forever. I don't think I have any shame, just think that not everybody I know needs to know about my surgery, and certainly the rest of the world doesn't care.

I guess I am still in the closet...so to speak. My husband, 3 kids (ages 27,24 & 17) and one close friend who is almost 2 yrs into it are the only ones that I have told so far! I just dont want to deal with people telling me to "Just go on a diet" blahh blahh, blahh. I will come out of the closet after my surgery , all they can say then is "OH" and "WOW", oh yeah and "OMG, you look great!!!" ;)

I don't trust facebook. It's too open and once something is out there, it's out there forever. I don't think I have any shame, just think that not everybody I know needs to know about my surgery, and certainly the rest of the world doesn't care.
It isn't for everyone...I just don't care what anyone thinks of me....I really haven't for the past 30 years. For a little I was afraid to say anything and then I just thought, to hell with it. Everyone will know not to push their food or drinking at me, I wont need to explain myself to anyone. Too each their own.

Good for you Lacey!!! Just wondering though...do you have people in your life that wouldn't support you? I had one person but I got rid of her a couple yrs ago. Best decision I ever made:) Good luck with everything!!! I LOVE your attitude!!!
Unfortunately, yes we all do have people who will be unsupportive. My sister will be in the top 3 of that list. 18 years ago when I managed to lose weight and was down to 130ish, all she could was tell me and everyone who would listen that I was anorexic. That I looked half dead, I was too thin..blah, blah blah. It was all jealousy disguised by concern. Watch out for those people. Don't let anyone sabotage what you have worked so hard for. You know what it took to get where you are today. I have gotten rid of most negative people from my life.

Today I called my mother to chat with her and inform her of my plans for the surgery. I was quite impressed with the ease of her acceptance and the coolness of her response. My mother lives 2 states away and although we chat weekly, there are some things that we do not see eye to eye on.....I felt that this would be one of those things. Instead, she coolly replied, "I didn't realize that you felt you need help with your weight. But by all means you should do what you need to do." Wow, way to go mom! She has grown up a lot in these past few years. I kid, my mom is awesome. I just did not expect her to be so cool with it.

Lacey, Mothers are awesome. They always manage to surprise you. I'm glad you told her, before she found out from someone else. Good for you.

Frank

:cool:

I gave in and called my mother today. She first tried to tell me I was healthy, and loosing weight so there was no need. After a while she said she would be at the hospital then my house to help me after the surgery and since it is three weeks away she has time to change my mind. What have I done? I love my mom but this time she will not win because I have to much not to loose.

I gave in and called my mother today. She first tried to tell me I was healthy, and loosing weight so there was no need. After a while she said she would be at the hospital then my house to help me after the surgery and since it is three weeks away she has time to change my mind. What have I done? I love my mom but this time she will not win because I have to much not to loose.

You stay strong in your stance and you tell your mother with much respect that she raised a strong woman who deserves to live a long life! Tell her to get beside you or get quiet. Do it with respect, she is your mother. Lay it out for her, show her all of the research that you done. Tell her how much you weigh. When I told my mom I weighed 230lbs I thought she was going to pass out and I would need to call 911 for someone to go help her. Tell her the health reasons and that there are no 3 weeks to change your mind but 3 weeks to learn how to help you eat healthy. xo

I guess I'm lucky, my family has been very supportive from the very beginning. I've said this before either people are glad for you or they don't care. I've only had a problem with one person, whom I used to share a meal with occasionally, she has become a first class pain in the ass, telling me I made a big mistake, regardless of how often I tell her how much better I feel. Get thee behind me Satan. You think you know who your friends are.

Back