• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Covid

Tokash

I am ready for covid to go take a flying leap.

Just ordered face masks for my kids for school. They are currently only required on the bus but schools are starting to require them again so I'm getting ahead. I dont know how I will get my 5 year old to keep it on. She has yet to ever really ha e to wear one. I pray school stays in person or I will be removing my k amd waiting until next year.

Vacations- covid ruined our trip to Hawaii this year and we have replanted for 2 weeks next march...it better play nice. I fully expect the Packer/viking game, a concert and a comedy show we have booked will be impacted...

I have started to wear a mask at work again this week. I forgot how hard it is to breath in them which ends up triggering migrains.

Can we just have life back?

My son ,wife and twin 5 year old granddaughters are flying out in October. I hope they can still come. I don’t know how two 5 year old girls are going to handle wearing masks on the plane for around 4 or 5 hours . Also my wife and I are planning a trip to Chicago to see them at the end of oct for a concert my son and I are going too have road trip to Detroit for. Also my wife and I are going to Las Vegas in November to see the Rolling Stones.I’m hoping this Covid DELTA crap doesn’t cancel things .

we‘ve all had our shots and wear masks so I feel good about going

My brother, his wife, and their granddaughter who lives with them all have COVID. They were unvaxinated.

The sad part is, my wife is the Director of Nursing at a hospital (albeit a small rural one, but she is an RN), and I remember her saying that COVID was just a "sniffle" and the people dying was over-blown. My brother said, "It's no worse than the flu" It's overblown. They chose not to get the vaccine (and endanger their granddaughter in the process because she isn't old enough to get it yet).

My brother is going on 3 weeks of illness, shortness of breath, and fever. The other two are still sick, but not quite as bad. Just a "sniffle" indeed.

I really don't get the reasoning to not get the vaccine unless there is a very solid, medical reason not to, there really just is no excuse. It's selfish, because it's not just about one person, it's about everyone we come in contact with. My little 84-year-old mother with 3 autoimmune diseases, one that is extremely rare, still got the vaccine on the advice of all her doctors. She's doing great, but obviously could still get COVID as a breakthrough case, but she's in a much better position to defend herself against it than without the vaccine. There are just very few reasons to not do it.

I love my brother, but perhaps now he understands. However, I fully expect my sister-in-law to have some sort of "explanation" and minimize it all. She's not one to admit she is ever wrong. I'm grateful that their granddaughter seems to be the least affected.

Sorry for the rant, and if anyone here hasn't gotten the vaccine, I hope you reconsider.

Ryan, so sorry about your family members who have gotten Covid and I hope they recover quickly. It is a shame that they didn't get vaccinated. You see more and more of these stories on the new lately from those who regret not getting the vaccine. I hope people who still haven't gotten it will reconsider.

I am masking up again. Yes, I am tired of it (especially in hot weather) but I feel it is necessary even with the vaccine. We've cancelled our fall plans to go to Maine as this road trip would have involved several hotels going up the coast instead of staying in one place and I just don't feel comfortable with that. We haven't seen our son and daughter in-law in two years and I really hope we can travel west next year to see them.

Yes Tokash, I am ready for Covid to take a flying leap too.... and NEVER come back!!!!

Well, I really don't see an end in sight. We keep getting variants, that continue to be more contagious, while people insist it's just the flu .. right up until they end up with a bad case of it. I just read that in Sydney, ambulances were waiting outside ER's for up to 7 hours because they're out of room. I think that's what makes me most angry. People do not realize (or they just don't care) that people who have heart attacks or are in a car accident may also end up dying, while they take a hospital bed due to their own refusal to protect themselves.
I'm sure it will be worse in the winter, when more people pack themselves indoors. And I'm very concerned that the next variant will be either more deadly or vaccine resistant. And when are we going to care? We have become a disgustingly selfish society.

I hope when people are comparing it to the flu, it is the context of every year there is a new variant. I think covid is here to stay. I think we will be getting yearly booster vaccines. I do not see any reason to believe it will ever go away.

It's unfortunate, and it was preventable. But it happened, and we just have to deal with it the best we can. Believe me, no one is more tired of covid than I am.

I have to go for my preop covid test today. It would be just my luck that after having covid for 40 days last year and suffering through major side effects after both vaccines, I will test positive for covid!

I think it comes down to fear. People are more afraid of the vaccine than they are of covid. As a country, the amount of false media reports we allow to run rampant on both sides of the political lines, classic fear mongering is crippling the population. Who do you believe?

I heard something scary a few days ago on the evening news. There is a second delta variant called delta 2 or double delta, can't remember exactly what they called it. Anyway they indicated it's even more contagious than the regular delta variant. But the vaccine prob still works against it.

But if that isn't scary enough, they also mentioned in passing another variant going thru South America right now, the lamda variant. Our vaccines may not give us protection against this new mutation.

What a wild fall and winter we will be facing, unnecessarily bc of people dragging their feet about getting a vaccine. Sadly, if they wait too long, they may not survive long enough to make up their minds.

I have family in Arkansas and visited my cousin for a long weekend in July, as it was her 50th B-day. I considered not going, as the county she lives in has only 21% of eligible people vaccinated. She does not leave the house, except to go to the doctor .. ever. It's really sad that people now fear leaving their own homes to shop for necessities because others carelessly put their health at risk.

I 100% agree that the amount of false information in this country is obscene. Although I certainly do not believe that their is equal lack of facts on both sides of the fence, I DO believe that there is entirely too many opinions that are stated as facts on all "news" shows. Journalists should not get to share their opinions, as too many people believe that opinion is fact.

Before 24 hour news networks became the norm, the media was required to give equal time to differing opinions IF and when they shared them. Mostly they just stuck to verifiable facts. We need to go back to that. Although, with the proliferation of social media, I doubt it would help. Way too many people get their info from FB etc. and believe anything that is posted and refuse to hear any facts that differ from their personal opinions.

All I can say is WOW so much good information here! I'm not sure what its going to take to get others vaccinated!!

Lets hope for the best.

We need to let go of the polarization in this county and make it about health.
I have family in Arkansas and visited my cousin for a long weekend in July, as it was her 50th B-day. I considered not going, as the county she lives in has only 21% of eligible people vaccinated. She does not leave the house, except to go to the doctor .. ever. It's really sad that people now fear leaving their own homes to shop for necessities because others carelessly put their health at risk.

I 100% agree that the amount of false information in this country is obscene. Although I certainly do not believe that their is equal lack of facts on both sides of the fence, I DO believe that there is entirely too many opinions that are stated as facts on all "news" shows. Journalists should not get to share their opinions, as too many people believe that opinion is fact.

Before 24 hour news networks became the norm, the media was required to give equal time to differing opinions IF and when they shared them. Mostly they just stuck to verifiable facts. We need to go back to that. Although, with the proliferation of social media, I doubt it would help. Way too many people get their info from FB etc. and believe anything that is posted and refuse to hear any facts that differ from their personal opinions.

Well said could not agree more!!

Missy, I don't think it's equal on both sides, it is certainly more widespread on one, but it does exist on both, and social media does makes everything worse. It is so sad that most Americans don't know that what is being reported to them as facts is mostly just opinions and political propaganda. It is hard to separate fact from fiction.

Where covid is concerned, the government and media need to get on the same page and stay there. Covid has become way too politicized. It is a health issue. Part of what is scaring people is that they are being told it will be mandated by the government, not recommended by their doctor.

Also women are being told it causes infertility. I can see why this would concern some women.

These type of questions need to be answered by a doctor who people trust. The media, politicians and social media should really take a hard look at what they've done to our country, and be ashamed of themselves for the damage and destruction they continue to cause.

We need to work together as Americans to fight covid, but if we can't trust each other we've already lost the war!

I understand people’s frustrations and anger, but we as a country need to be more open minded to the reasons someone is choosing not to get vaccinated. We all have been affected one way or another. We are at war with each other and emotions are running high. We are name calling, saying people are: “selfish”, “idiots”, “stupid”, “ignorant”. Can we please have more compassion for both the people who’ve become ill from COVID-19 AND the people who choose not to get the vaccine?
I studied medicine for 6 years at the U of M. My family and I will not be getting the vaccine for several reasons.
In this country we are given many freedoms and one of them is a freedom in making medical decisions.
Freedoms include the right to control one’s health and body (for example, sexual and reproductive rights) and to be free from interference (for example, free from torture and non-consensual medical treatment and experimentation). Also, people can choose to stop chemotherapy or not get a flu shot.
Many people who have tested positive for COVID-19 exhibit mild to moderate symptoms and some are even asymptotic. Children are even less affected.
COVID-19 is extremely contagious so the masks and social distancing was to SLOW the progression, not stop it. People who are at risk of complications from COVID-19 (elderly, respiratory disorders ect.) are strongly encouraged to get the vaccine (along with others). The same COVID-19 “at risk group” is also at risk of having the same unfavorable outcomes if they were to contract the flu of pneumonia. Why aren’t people outraged about people not getting the flu vaccine? I’ll stop there. I’ve found that when I’m more open minded and understanding, I tend to be an all around better and more pleasant person. The last 1+ year has been hard on everyone.
I think part of the frustration some have with the unvaccinated is bc of the incredible transmission rate of the delta variant, which contains 1000X the viral load of the original corona virus. It's quickly mutating because of the vast opportunities to spread to 10s of millions & becoming more adept at doing what virus love to do, spread more easily.

And now the new Lambda variant has been found in TX & LA. The vaccine and the treatments may or may not be effective against it it, which puts us all back at square one again, where we were last March & April. So the decisions of some may put us all in danger. <sigh>

Please understand I'm not writing that to point fingers at anyone in particular. No one is deliberately trying to make anyone sick or worse.

It's just sad that while so many countries only have the ability to vaccinate 1-2% of their people, we theoretically could vaccinate 85-90% of our population & save millions of lives that might be lost this upcoming fall & winter. No type of modern flu or pneumonia causes that kind of devastation.

But please don't take my previous post personally. This just hits too close to home.

Back