• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Covid

Please understand I'm not writing that to point fingers at anyone in particular.
When I was growing up, vaccinations were scheduled as routine events by grade or age in school, at school. Most prominent was the polio vaccine, and anyone who was in school obediently lined up in the hallway to get the shot. Parents weren't consulted and adverse reactions never made the news.

Good bad or indifferent as that mass innoculation was, polio was wiped out in my generation. I knew one kid who didn't get vaccinated. I was required to visit him at home, where he was confined in his iron lung.

I support personal freedom. But if a person chooses not to be vaccinated, he/she should show that somehow so others can exercise personal freedom to avoid contact.

Of course, this is a simplistic example, but if a virus is transmittable by air or touch, it's a societal mandate that others should be aware so they can take precautions.

Polio resurfaced internationally in the last decade, but didn't have the ambush effect it had 70 years ago. The reason for that was because two or three generations of us had gotten vaccinated.

This issue should not have the power it has, but it seems personal choice has become more important than public mandate. There's not enough data to create law, and people who are harmed by the vaccination, as well as those who cite religious freedom, have to have the same power of voice.

In other words, humans cannot be forced to comply with arbitrary laws that don't apply to every one of them, even if it's shown to be for the greater good.

I got vaccinated within days of hearing about COVID. I had seen polio up close and needed no convincing. There is a subset of data about the particular effects of COVID in the obese population. It seems worse than irresponsible not to get vaccinated now that we're so medically evolved, now that we've seen the apocalyptic devastation it causes.

People I grew up with would have survived without being maimed or paralyzed if there had been widespread knowledge and availability of a polio vaccine. COVID is just as deadly. We have better medical options and conscience should triumph over the power of personal choice, as the consequences are devastating and fatal.

I can only beg my fellow citizens of Earth to get the vaccine, or self-isolate for the love of your fellow human beings. You're packing a loaded weapon if not.

Last edited:
I think part of the frustration some have with the unvaccinated is bc of the incredible transmission rate of the delta variant, which contains 1000X the viral load of the original corona virus. It's quickly mutating because of the vast opportunities to spread to 10s of millions & becoming more adept at doing what virus love to do, spread more easily.

And now the new Lambda variant has been found in TX & LA. The vaccine and the treatments may or may not be effective against it it, which puts us all back at square one again, where we were last March & April. So the decisions of some may put us all in danger. <sigh>
So, are you saying that you’re upset about people not getting a vaccine that “may not be effective against it”?

The vaccine is almost 100% effective against severe cases and hospitalization; 99.99%, which is better than birth control. Every time we get a new variant, we risk it becoming more immune to the vaccine. Just like when the swine flu and avian flu hit, the flu vaccine was less effective against those strains because they had mutated. A virus can't mutate without hosts, so if everyone had gotten vaccinated when they were able, we'd be in much better shape.

Almost 5 months since my 2nd dose. What's your excuse for not getting vaccinated? If the CDC recommends a booster, I'll be first in line, to protect me, to protect you, to SAVE THE WORLD.

Use your power for good. Or you will be committing evil on babies, seniors, your loved ones, your government, the clerk in the checkout line, little kids at school... you'll kill them all.

COVID is more powerful than a nuclear bomb. GET VACCINATED.

My brother, his wife, and their granddaughter who lives with them all have COVID. They were unvaxinated.

The sad part is, my wife is the Director of Nursing at a hospital (albeit a small rural one, but she is an RN), and I remember her saying that COVID was just a "sniffle" and the people dying was over-blown. My brother said, "It's no worse than the flu" It's overblown. They chose not to get the vaccine (and endanger their granddaughter in the process because she isn't old enough to get it yet).

My brother is going on 3 weeks of illness, shortness of breath, and fever. The other two are still sick, but not quite as bad. Just a "sniffle" indeed.

I really don't get the reasoning to not get the vaccine unless there is a very solid, medical reason not to, there really just is no excuse. It's selfish, because it's not just about one person, it's about everyone we come in contact with. My little 84-year-old mother with 3 autoimmune diseases, one that is extremely rare, still got the vaccine on the advice of all her doctors. She's doing great, but obviously could still get COVID as a breakthrough case, but she's in a much better position to defend herself against it than without the vaccine. There are just very few reasons to not do it.

I love my brother, but perhaps now he understands. However, I fully expect my sister-in-law to have some sort of "explanation" and minimize it all. She's not one to admit she is ever wrong. I'm grateful that their granddaughter seems to be the least affected.

Sorry for the rant, and if anyone here hasn't gotten the vaccine, I hope you reconsider.
Your rant is valid. I am sad to hear your family members were not on board. Glad to hear grandma is doing well. My husband is still waiting to get cardiac dr approval for the vaccine.

I am on board for a booster or the 2 shot program to boost my one shot program either way. I was at the post office today and all of us had masks on, so I commented that it was so good to see all of us wearing a mask. Everyone said that the mask was because of delta and all had been vaccinated. By the time I got to the window three people came in without masks. Oh well it was bright for a short while.

I got the Moderna Vaccine back in Feb in preparation of my surgery. I've noticed some lingering effects after the vaccine that I never had before (started before my surgery.). At times I notice difficulty focusing my eyeballs and I have to consciously make the effort. Only lasts a few seconds but it's annoying. Other times I notice I'll hesitate like I'm in deep thought but really I'm thinking of nothing. It's like I just momentarily froze almost like a deja vu moment. No idea what the long term effects of this vaccine could be but I will not be taking any boosters or other shots going forward. I may be at risk but I'll roll the dice of establishing natural immunity the next go around. I do not yet know of any friends or family that have died from it but I have lost 3 friends over the last year to suicide all related to strained relationships and lack of interaction with people. Right now I have 700,000+ bikers in my back yard and have dealt with tourists around the country flooding here for the last year and a half because their state or normal international vacation areas are closed. Anyway, I don't feel this CV is going away. We'll just wind up with a new variant every year due to the virus cycle just like any cold/respiratory virus.

I have a real hard time talking to people who refuse to get vaccinated. I work directly with funeral homes, taking orders for vaults, and arranging burial set-ups at the cemetery. Last year during the peak of the pandemic our services quadrupled from the year before, and yes it was due to covid. I live in North Dakota, and it gets cold and the ground freezes here during the winter but you are still able to have graveside services. It was heartbreaking to see families that could not do this last year because of the precautions that were necessary to take to prevent the spread of covid and opted for cremation, hoping things would get better so that they could give their loved one a proper burial which thankfully they were able to do. It scares me to think that because this new variant is so much more contagious and people are refusing to get vaccinated, this year is going to be far worse than last year.

Last year I lost my father-in-law, aunt, my cousin and his wife who died just hours apart and a friend's parents who also died just hours apart. And these people died alone, with no one at their side, except for the wonderful nurses doing they best they could to make them comfortable and not so alone, because of the restrictions put in place.

People in nursing homes and hospitals were also dying, not from covid, but from being alone because visitation was stopped. I wish people would stop being so self centered, political, judgmental and stubborn and start thinking about those people that are around you that are frail or have health issues and what it could do to them if they got covid. If people don't want to comply, get vaccinated, and start wearing masks again this is going to happen again! Stop with all the drama. Stop thinking about yourself and start thinking about others.

I am raising my granddaughter who is 12 years old now. When schools were forced to shut down and people were ordered to shelter in place it was a nightmare. It did nothing for their mental health. People lost jobs, businesses and churches were closed and the suicide rate skyrocketed. Well friends, if people do not want to take the advise of our medical professionals, we are going to be right back there. Please get vaccinated!

I have a real hard time talking to people who refuse to get vaccinated. I work directly with funeral homes, taking orders for vaults, and arranging burial set-ups at the cemetery. Last year during the peak of the pandemic our services quadrupled from the year before, and yes it was due to covid. I live in North Dakota, and it gets cold and the ground freezes here during the winter but you are still able to have graveside services. It was heartbreaking to see families that could not do this last year because of the precautions that were necessary to take to prevent the spread of covid and opted for cremation, hoping things would get better so that they could give their loved one a proper burial which thankfully they were able to do. It scares me to think that because this new variant is so much more contagious and people are refusing to get vaccinated, this year is going to be far worse than last year.

Last year I lost my father-in-law, aunt, my cousin and his wife who died just hours apart and a friend's parents who also died just hours apart. And these people died alone, with no one at their side, except for the wonderful nurses doing they best they could to make them comfortable and not so alone, because of the restrictions put in place.

People in nursing homes and hospitals were also dying, not from covid, but from being alone because visitation was stopped. I wish people would stop being so self centered, political, judgmental and stubborn and start thinking about those people that are around you that are frail or have health issues and what it could do to them if they got covid. If people don't want to comply, get vaccinated, and start wearing masks again this is going to happen again! Stop with all the drama. Stop thinking about yourself and start thinking about others.

I am raising my granddaughter who is 12 years old now. When schools were forced to shut down and people were ordered to shelter in place it was a nightmare. It did nothing for their mental health. People lost jobs, businesses and churches were closed and the suicide rate skyrocketed. Well friends, if people do not want to take the advise of our medical professionals, we are going to be right back there. Please get vaccinated!

Thank you so much for posting this, especially from someone who has worked so closely with funeral homes. It is so important to get everyone's perspective out there on how their lives have been effected by Covid. Not just those who have lost family members or those who have gotten Covid themselves, but those who work in business/organizations that deal directly with the horrible end result.

I hope that more people will finally get vaccinated now that Pfizer has full FDA approval and that more places will now mandate vaccines. If there is anyone in this group that is against getting the vaccine and feel their rights are being taken away? Why isn't it a big deal when they say "no shirt, no shoes, no service?" This is far more serious!

My husband & I were just talking about how frustrating it is that almost no one else in our apt building wears masks. The elevator is the scariest, with no ventilation & no one masking up.

The daily infection & death rate in our state is rapidly increasing, yet our governor is afraid to issue another mask mandate, even though last year he was one of the earlier ones to issue it (it expired in June). People have the right to run around buck naked & maskless in their own homes if they wish. But once out in public they have to wear clothing, so why can't they be required to wear masks too?

At least the governor is pushing for allowing anyone 60 & older to get our boosters now before the effectiveness wanes even more.

I just hope more people will wake up & listen to experts about the safety of the vacs. We as a society have big hearts for others, yet not getting vaccinated may mean a death sentence for so many. The news just said it's projected that hospitalizations will double in a month for now. Already hospitals are full up, so where will sick people go? Scary.

I wear a mask, sometimes two, and then a plastic face shield. There's a great assortment at the hardware store, and believe it or not, some are fashionable. I'm double-vaxxed, and yesterday my doc said I cant get the booster until November.

Weirdly enough, I haven't even had the sniffles, let alone bronchitis, which usually afflicts me every few months. I enjoy being alone, and most people bore me with trivial conversations. I don't miss touching and hugging, though I love it. Saw my son and his trans partner yeasterday. S/he works behind the counter, serving coffee, and he was on a break, covered in dirt from digging new sewer lines at the college (not his duty, but no one else showed up). It felt so foreign to hug him. I realized how long it had been since I'd had physical contact.

I've been daydreaming about the long-ago past, being a young mom, shopping with an old group of hippies who'd formed a food co-op, playing with my cat, marching for equal rights and against nuclear power. I miss those days more than the recent past, going back to how much less horrid Nixon was than Trump...

Life changes so, and if you cant change with it, embrace the ones you love, take action when you can, protect your rights when you are beaten for protecting others.

I think I wandered off topic. Okay, stand up in the public square for the benefits of vaccinations, even though we don't know what's in them, because we've seen the ghastly results. Most people are somewhat familiar with religions that describe the end of the world. Fuck religion but don't let them blind you to the fact that it's happening.

I have 15 or 20 more years to live, but I see my death as an occasion. I wear a medicalert bracelet with two messages: NO BLIND NG, which is my warning about having RYGB, and CADAVER DONOR, so they'll get my body to the UW for medical students to learn from. After a year of studying every square inch, its cremated and given to my son. His instructions are to cast my ashes to the four winds, from Desolation Peak, the mountain I've hiked so much, to repay the bear and deer who scared the shit out of me when they visited me in my sleeping bag.

Death is the other side of the coin we call life. I hope nothing for what is there, except that my consciousness will live, aware, in the body of another. If not, that's okay with me.

I wear a mask, sometimes two, and then a plastic face shield. There's a great assortment at the hardware store, and believe it or not, some are fashionable. I'm double-vaxxed, and yesterday my doc said I cant get the booster until November.

Weirdly enough, I haven't even had the sniffles, let alone bronchitis, which usually afflicts me every few months. I enjoy being alone, and most people bore me with trivial conversations. I don't miss touching and hugging, though I love it. Saw my son and his trans partner yeasterday. S/he works behind the counter, serving coffee, and he was on a break, covered in dirt from digging new sewer lines at the college (not his duty, but no one else showed up). It felt so foreign to hug him. I realized how long it had been since I'd had physical contact.

I've been daydreaming about the long-ago past, being a young mom, shopping with an old group of hippies who'd formed a food co-op, playing with my cat, marching for equal rights and against nuclear power. I miss those days more than the recent past, going back to how much less horrid Nixon was than Trump...

Life changes so, and if you cant change with it, embrace the ones you love, take action when you can, protect your rights when you are beaten for protecting others.

I think I wandered off topic. Okay, stand up in the public square for the benefits of vaccinations, even though we don't know what's in them, because we've seen the ghastly results. Most people are somewhat familiar with religions that describe the end of the world. Fuck religion but don't let them blind you to the fact that it's happening.

I have 15 or 20 more years to live, but I see my death as an occasion. I wear a medicalert bracelet with two messages: NO BLIND NG, which is my warning about having RYGB, and CADAVER DONOR, so they'll get my body to the UW for medical students to learn from. After a year of studying every square inch, its cremated and given to my son. His instructions are to cast my ashes to the four winds, from Desolation Peak, the mountain I've hiked so much, to repay the bear and deer who scared the shit out of me when they visited me in my sleeping bag.

Death is the other side of the coin we call life. I hope nothing for what is there, except that my consciousness will live, aware, in the body of another. If not, that's okay with me.
Wow I feel like I have found my long lost West Coast sister at last! After watching the Watergate hearings all summer (a 13 yr old news junkie already), I remember when Nixon resigned. I was camping out with my Girl Scout troop in a GS national camp in Ten Sleep, WY. I was so thankful we could never get another one any worse than him. Yeah, right.

And I marched on Washington D.C. with some my adult friends several times for female causes near & dear to my heart at the time.

I always thought I was a hippie wannabe, born just a few years too late. Thanks for sharing some of your colorful past.

Hopefully people will start to get on the ball & get vaccinated so we'll all have a chance to share more fond memories.

Love ya, Duchess of WV! YOURE the REAL DEAL! The sad and terrifying thing is how common the horrifying has become. I was watching Cuomo news and the reporter was saying he'd be succeeded by the first woman governor blah blah. Apparently he didn't count Dixie Lee Ray, the horror who tripled nuclear power plant building whilst holding lesbian orgies in the governor's mansion (I'm fine with lesbians and orgies, but not on citizen-owned exploited property). If not for activists like me, our beautiful State wouldn't just be responsible for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but epidemic thyroid disease (me) and cancer from Hanford to Canada, and all Indian land reduced to radioactive or sterile wasteland.

Last edited:
Love ya, Duchess of WV! YOURE the REAL DEAL! The sad and terrifying thing is how common the horrifying has become. I was wathing Cuomo news and the reporter was saying he'd be succeeded by the first woman governor blah blah. Apparently he didn't count Dixie Lee Ray, the horror who tripled nuclear power plant building whilst holding lesbian orgies in the governor's mansion (I'm fine with lesbians and orgies, but not on citizen-owned exploited property). If not for activists like me, our beautiful State wouldn't just be responsible for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but epidemic thyroid disease and cancer (me) from Hanford to Canada, and all Indian land reduced to radioactive or sterile wasteland.
View attachment 4375
Thank you for working to keep us safe from ourselves. Yeah, I used to drive past 3 Mile Island on my way to night/weekend graduate classes. Radiation is forever, something most of us prefer not to think about unless it is pointed out by those who care enough to raise their voices in protest. Thank you for caring about our planet, my "West Coast sis!"

Love ya, Duchess of WV! YOURE the REAL DEAL! The sad and terrifying thing is how common the horrifying has become. I was wathing Cuomo news and the reporter was saying he'd be succeeded by the first woman governor blah blah. Apparently he didn't count Dixie Lee Ray, the horror who tripled nuclear power plant building whilst holding lesbian orgies in the governor's mansion (I'm fine with lesbians and orgies, but not on citizen-owned exploited property). If not for activists like me, our beautiful State wouldn't just be responsible for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but epidemic thyroid disease and cancer (me) from Hanford to Canada, and all Indian land reduced to radioactive or sterile wasteland.
View attachment 4375

Your news may have reported that wrong or maybe you missed the part that Hochul is the first female governor of New York. We've not had a woman governor here before but I know there are other female governors. ;)

Your news may have reported that wrong or maybe you missed the part that Hochul is the first female governor of New York. We've not had a woman governor here before but I know there are other female governors. ;)
Yes, they did. I was watching the moment the NATIONAL news hit, and the reporter got it wrong. But my exasperation was more about the fact that for decades, the mainstream media diminishes women at every turn, assuming every female accomplishment is a "first," even though his very existence happened because a woman chose to birth him.

The facts were corrected in subsequent reports, but American women should all be offended that one sexist male--as usual--didnt care enough to get it right the first time.

I would have been fired in a heartbeat if I'd made such an egregious error when I used to work for NPR.

Ok here's a new unexpected story about covid. Evidently deer in PA, WV, & 1 other state have tested positive for Covid. OMG! They concluded the news story by reassuring people that the deer meat would be safe to eat. Ummm, no thanks.

Who is going to take that chance? Silly question, thousands of deer are harvested in WV every year, and what doesn't get eaten by the hunters & families will be donated to food banks around the state. Who's gonna monitor all of that deer meat for Covid? Strange times we are living in.

Back