• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Excited and worried

Hi I'm Lori and my surgery is scheduled for 4/24. I'm having the sleeve gastrectomy. I'm worried about the eating or should I say drinking your food for the next few weeks. I want to know if you don't feel hungry and the liquid diet satisfies you? I'm also worried about the vitamins and protein stuff...I'm not so good at doing that kind of thing. Have many of you lost hair from lack of nutrients? I'm a hairstylist and I love my hair, but I hate my fat more :) Just alot of questions that I guess will be answered as I start the journey. How long after surgery can you start exercising? Thank you in advance for any input :)

Lori

Good luck your days away. My surgeon told me 4weeks after surgery I can exercise. I will be able to exercise as soon as surgery but arobics (might be spell wrong) lightly but nothing else.

Hi Lori, Welcome to the forum. I had the Rny my hair thinned out a little but came back strong after 3 months, since then I have learned on the forum here that taking biotin, extra zink and making sure you get plenty of protien that hair loss can really be sowed if not stopped completely. It's completely normal to be excited and worried, I was right up to my surgery day, my daughters all woke up at 4 in the morning and went to the hospital and waited for me to get out of recovery, that was a great help. Feal free to come back and ask any more questions we are all here to help and support each other. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Lori-I too am concerned about hair loss. I spoke to the nutritionist about this a couple of weeks ago. She said some people do and some people don't lose hair. She said to make sure I get ALL my protein in daily and also my vitamins to reduce the chance of hair loss. She also gave me the name of a supplement that is made for hair, skin and nails. No guarantees but it's worth a try. It's called Hair, Skin and Nails and is available at Costco and Sam's Club. The good news is that if you do lose some hair it will eventually come back!!!

Good luck your days away. My surgeon told me 4weeks after surgery I can exercise. I will be able to exercise as soon as surgery but arobics (might be spell wrong) lightly but nothing else.

Thank you for the reply. I went and checked out the gym I want to join and got the info from them on cost etc. I'm determined to make this work. I had thyroid cancer and gained 100 pounds from that and it won't come off no matter what I've tried. Out insurance just recently included this in what they cover or I'd have had it done years ago. I'm going to walk as soon as I get out but the real workout stuff I just wondered how long that would be. So now I know :) Good luck with your upcoming surgery too!

Lori

Hi Tom, you look great! I see you're a great member on this site too. I'm going to get all the things you have said to take also going to get the Nioxin shampoo/treatment that I use on people at the salon. Anything that can reduce my risk of losing it I'm willing to try it. I do have another question, it's about the skin after losing the weight? I've watched a ton of videos of people on Youtube and most don't seem to have it that are posted on there? That's one reason I want to exercise as soon as I can hoping to tone as I lose. I mean I'll never be in Sports Illistrated swimsuit edition, but I"m good with that :) I just wanna like myself again!

Lori

Thanks for the reply Pat! I'm going to look for the Hair, Skin and Nails that you mentioned. My cousin had hair for 3 people and hers got so thin you could see her scalp on to top, also another client of mine did the same thing. Since them I've knows alot more clients who didn't seem to lose any or at least wasn't noticeable if they did. You had your surgery on my birthday. Hope all is going great for you!
Lori

Lori, I am from NC too! I am curious to hear where you are having your surgery at? And, what was your deciding factor for choosing the sleeve vs. bypass?

Hi! We live close to Raleigh, I'm having my surgery at Rex Hospitial in Raleigh. My surgeon is Dr Tyner, he's in with Dr Bruce and Dr Enoch. They are some of the best surgeons in this entire state. I have researched this for a long time before I made a decision and have not heard anything negative about this team of doctors. They have a very high success rate and have redone several patients of other doctors. As for why I chose the sleeve over bypass...I just think that God puts things in place for us where they need to be and rerouting everything seemed scary to me. With the bypass if I understood it correctly the part of our body that processes simple sugar is not there any longer and that's why people sometimes have a hard time with anything sugar. I like the fact that it's less invasive and done laproscopic. Recovery time they told me is the same as a gallbladder surgery and i had that two years ago and was back to work in 5 days. The results are almost the same as bypass and with exercise they told me I could have the exact same results. So that's why I chose this one. :)

Hi! We live close to Raleigh, I'm having my surgery at Rex Hospitial in Raleigh. My surgeon is Dr Tyner, he's in with Dr Bruce and Dr Enoch. They are some of the best surgeons in this entire state. I have researched this for a long time before I made a decision and have not heard anything negative about this team of doctors. They have a very high success rate and have redone several patients of other doctors. As for why I chose the sleeve over bypass...I just think that God puts things in place for us where they need to be and rerouting everything seemed scary to me. With the bypass if I understood it correctly the part of our body that processes simple sugar is not there any longer and that's why people sometimes have a hard time with anything sugar. I like the fact that it's less invasive and done laproscopic. Recovery time they told me is the same as a gallbladder surgery and i had that two years ago and was back to work in 5 days. The results are almost the same as bypass and with exercise they told me I could have the exact same results. So that's why I chose this one. :)

This is why I am also doing the sleeve.. RnY was to much redoing of my plumbing. lol

Back