• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

exercise

I would like some advice on how to get my exercise plan in check. I started using a pedometer a while back trying to get to the 10000 steps. I am now up to 5000 but have a ways to go. I would like to try a video or something but do not know where to start. My question is has anyone found a good workout for a beginners. I am in search of something with little impact seeing that I have not lost the weight yet my knees are still mad at me.

Great question! My exercise bike has been the best thing for me, because #1 it is low impact, #2 I can read a book or watch a movie, #3 you can dial it low and spin easy in the beginning and as you build up strength you can add more resistance, #4 mine has a heart rate monitor, distance and calorie counter, to give you some metrics on your progress. I now walk to work and back 2 miles round trip and take walks on my breaks and lunch, which give me a full hour, but I still use the exercise bike to fill in time or add an extra half or full hour of light or moderate exercise when I'm in the mood. For me an hour adds up to 8 miles and 500 calories burned. Movement is key.

cheers

Hi Calql84Health, For me, prior to surgery, walking was the best I could do and you seem to be doing well. You're at about 2 1/2 miles. That is very good. One of the things would be water aerobics, low impact, easier on the joints. Other than that, just keep walking, break it up and once you've had the surgery, you'll be able to do more.

Frank

:cool:

Back