• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling Horrible Post-Op

reikinurse

Greetings all!

Just introducing myself for now. Hoping there are other sleeve gastrectomy people whom I can chat with eventually. I'm having a really difficult time getting all the fluids in, because I'm usually nauseous and/or nothing tastes like it used to. Not even water! Being a nurse, I am well aware of the dangers of dehydration, but even that knowledge isn't helping me.

All the sugar free drinks like Crystal Light and diet green tea are sweetened so horribly that it's way too sweet for my liking. I'm at my wit's end here. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these fluids in?? I really want a diet ginger ale ... that is all I've been craving. But they tell me no carbonation. What's a person to do??? Prior to surgery, the only thing I usually drank was plain water. For some reason, now it doesn't cut it.

Thank you in advance!!

Have you thought about opening up a diet gingerale and letting it go flat for a couple of days before drinking it? You may find that even though you crave it, it may not taste the same as you remember! Keep your chin up... I am only a few days out of the bypass surgery and each day I get stronger that the day before. You will to. Ask your doctor about anti-nasuea meds that may be a help in order to get the fluids down. maybe you could just add some fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice to your water to freshen up the taste of the water but not add sweetness to it, like the diet drink mixes do, like Crystal Light.

Congrats to both of you on starting your WLS journey. As for getting in the liquids. I switch all the time, between water, decafe coffee, crystal light, Mio and sugar free popsicles. What has your Doc said about this? If you haven't talked to him/her, please do so, there may be something else causing your problems. Please let us know how it's going.

:cool:

How about some chicken or vegetable broth or peppermint tea. There are many recipes out there to vary the taste of your shakes. I craved things with lemon in them (lapband here). Good luck on your journey. I also drink lots of tea (unsweetened) and decaf coffee. Joy

I have considered allowing it to go flat, but it doesn't appeal to me. I guess I'll continue with the water, decaf teas, and lemons (a great idea, by the way! I went out and bought six of them yesterday! LOL) I used to love fresh squeezed lemonade with a touch of stevia for sweetener. I may try that, as well. Thank you for your suggestions!

Fuild intake

It is almost like treating dehydration in third world countries. I made my own drink a little salt and a little sugar (not much) or the low calorie gator aid worked well for me.

I had my sleeve surgery Jan 24, I am doing well didn't have any complications from the surgery, but getting used to the new pluming has been interesting.

cheers

Last edited:
Hello there! I also had the sleeve surgery. I had anti-nausea pills that dissolved under my tongue that took care of the issue of drinking for me. I also have tried a variety of Mio, Crystal light, Hawaiian Punch (they actually make sugar free in powder!), etc. Sometimes I have a Minute Maid light for a change of pace. It's 5 calories. I get bored with the same flavors so I mix it up! I think the others' suggestions for lemon, lime, mint, etc. are also good to try. Good luck!

My suggestion for post op fluids.....POPSICLES!!! Sugar free popsicles was the only way for me to get the fluids in, I would put several of them in a cup (taking them off the stick) and crush them with my spoon. I also drank alot of "warm" decaf flavored teas (Celestial Seasonings) peppermint was my favorite because it was so soothing to my pouch!! Keep sippin', take care and enjoy being a LOSER!!! ;)

I wish I knew

My surgery was almost at the same time as yours. I am still trying to figure this out for myself. I am attending a support group meeting tomorrow and hope to get a better read on the nausea and gas pain. I will let you know what I find out but someone here on this forum may have a quicker answer for you. In the mean time good luck.

regards

HI there...I hope the fluids problem has resolved. I am pre-op sleeve. Im waiting for approval from my insurance company but hope to have surgery during spring break so my son can stay at grandmas! LOL

I've been switching between most of those you mentioned fkrebs ... I'm actually feeling much better now than I was a couple days ago! Thanks for responding!

Reikinurse, glad to hear it's getting better. I've found that most of the things we go through are temporary, our bodies way of adjusting to the changes. The best advise I can give is to follow the plan given to you and never give up, your body will adjust and the phase will pass.

:cool:

I went to my first support group meeting and they assured me that the nausea is just a temporary phase and is not a forever thing. Good to know.

cheers

Fluids is a problem for me. I actually make jello sugar free and let it start to set and drink it. I am not thirsty but I try to get it in. That for me is the hardest thing. I drink protein shakes out of a shaker cup that makes 2 servings ofg fuild. I drink something. Before surgery I drink water all the time. Now I am like okay I try. I try everyday. So I am always trying to get it in another form. I don't like adding anything now so. Water cold almost frozen I drink. One when I am on my stationary bike. So you are not alone on that one. ;) Just keep trying

Thanks for that info...but its five weeks tomorrow and i still have it...just not getting my protein down...gave up in real food....however i did get a very small cup of french onion soup down yesterday...and no nausea....so thats what i am having for lunch today again! I went to a support group but didnt get any help because of the five people there two had sleeves the other two bipasses and neither had nausea after their surgeries..they both looked good though!
thanks

reikinurse-Try using less of the powdered drink mix, this will make it less sweet. I use 1/2 to 3/4 of a single serving pack in 16 ounces of water. As far as your craving for gingerale, you can try a small amount with all of the carbonation "stirred out" of it. Fill half of a tall glass 1/2 full and stir, stir, stir then stir some more :) You can also make some homemeade iced or hot ginger tea by squeezing some fresh ginger with a garlic press then sweeten to taste. It doesn't take much ginger so try a small piece at first. Strain it with a tea strainer or coffee filter to get out any bits of ginger if it bothers you to see this in your drink. I make this quite often and it tastes especially good as hot tea on a cold day. It will warm you up all the way down to your toes!!!

I saw this on a Christina Cooks show a couple of weeks ago. Store fresh ginger in a container of dry sand on your counter. DO NOT USE SAND FROM A BEACH OR YOUR YARD. You need to buy clean, dry sand. Put the sand into an attractive container and just bury the ginger all the way under the sand. It will last for several weeks, possibly over a month. Ginger will become moldy in the fridge and will change texture and taste in the freezer so the sand is the best way to go.

Back