• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First 5k in 18+ years

fkrebs

On Saturday, May 18th, I ran my first 5k run in almost 20 years. How to describe it, during the run, tough, long and all up hill, at least that's what it felt like. When I crossed the line, pure elation, something I couldn't do 7 months ago. It was cool, while I was running, this kid runs up and asks if I mind him running with me. I said no, but I'm very slow. He was more than happy to run slow and when pulled out ahead, he would slow down. He even raced ahead and brought me a water. We ran together for about a mile and a half when he decided to sprint to the finish, the last 1/4 mile or so. He made it much easier for me to get over the up hill portion of the return. Made my day. I hope everyone out there is out doing things you haven't done in a while or ever. There is nothing like it. It makes sticking to the journey that much easier.

Oh the young man's name is Jason and he's in the 7th Grade at Leesville Road Middle School in Raleigh. What can you do now that you couldn't do before?

Frank

:cool:

On Saturday, May 18th, I ran my first 5k run in almost 20 years. How to describe it, during the run, tough, long and all up hill, at least that's what it felt like. When I crossed the line, pure elation, something I couldn't do 7 months ago. It was cool, while I was running, this kid runs up and asks if I mind him running with me. I said no, but I'm very slow. He was more than happy to run slow and when pulled out ahead, he would slow down. He even raced ahead and brought me a water. We ran together for about a mile and a half when he decided to sprint to the finish, the last 1/4 mile or so. He made it much easier for me to get over the up hill portion of the return. Made my day. I hope everyone out there is out doing things you haven't done in a while or ever. There is nothing like it. It makes sticking to the journey that much easier.

Oh the young man's name is Jason and he's in the 7th Grade at Leesville Road Middle School in Raleigh. What can you do now that you couldn't do before?

Frank

Frank, that's awesome that you did that. Way to go.

Frank, that is wonderful! What I couldn't do before, the list is long. I am glad I can walk without a walker now. I will probably never be able to run but I will be able to start dancing again before long. Not there yet but I still have it as a goal. I have some physical problems and can't run or ride a bike. I was suffering from frequent falls but haven't had one in quite a while now so am gaining more confidence. I felt great just walking into the grocery store across the parking lot without a cart to hold on to. Little steps but all improvements. You have done so well and your 5K run was inspiring. Joy

Wow!! Great work and as others noted, very inspirational! Last week I got a chuckle out of taking my two dogs for a walk (they need to lose some winter weight as well! :eek: ) and I now walk at a fast enough pace that I had to tell them to "keep up" with me, instead of the other way around! :cool:

A shot of me crossing the finish line:

2013 Run for Peace 5k Finish.jpg

Frank

Frank congratulations on your success! I haven't had surgery yet, but I've been gym-exercising for at least 6 years (probably mentally getting ready for surgery), and I find that the heat does not bother me much any more. Of course just walking several blocks to a restaurant with friends has greatly improved. I always used to be the last straggler and out of breath. I can work in my very hilly yard for 5 hours at a time. Amazing.
I won't be running because I have 2 knee replacements and the doctor told me not to run, but that's OK. Just being able to feel strong and healthy has made all the difference.

Frank, that is so very cool. It is all I want to do is run... Just run to think it all out. Run because I couldn't run before, Run because it is so freeing and that is definately what this procedure does. It is so freeing at least for me. Way to go. I have a 10k I hope to be cleared to walk in on June 8th.

My goal is a 5k. I was able to run a mile and a half before surgery, but I haven't been able to work my way back to running just yet. You have inspired me!! Thanks:)

Back