• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Full Body Lift February 4th

Brenda2010

Hi guys. :) Most of you know that I'm having my reconstructive, post-weight loss plastic surgery next month. It's coming up quickly and I'm both beyond excited and terrified. It's a massive surgery with a long recovery time and living alone, will come with many challenges.

Since I’ve lost significant weight several times in the past, I already knew how my body would look once I hit my goal. I’ve always known that I’d need at least a tummy tuck, arm lift and breast lift after permanent weight loss to feel confident in my skin. After my weight loss surgery, I knew this is now my time. With the confidence in my new tool, I started my research into plastic surgeons in late spring. After a few weeks of reviewing credentials, before and after pics, speaking with former patients online, I had my “short-list” of 5 surgeons who specialize in post-bariatric weight loss patients. I learned quickly that our skin post weight loss is much different than say a typical “mommy-makeover”. I wanted someone with a ton of surgical experience with bodies like mine.

I had virtual consultations with 4 surgeons (the 5th was retiring before I would have surgery) and they all suggested the same procedures for me. More work than I’d initially anticipated but hearing the artistry and technique behind a lower body lift verses a tummy tuck, sold me 100%. I’m going to describe the procedures a little so if you get queasy easily, you may want to stop reading here. ;)

A lower body lift begins with an incision at hip/pubic level as a tummy tuck would except it goes 360 degrees, all the way around my body. First, my surgeon will separate my belly button from the skin/tissue to be removed. He then lifts the stomach tissue so he can repair my stomach muscles underneath for a nice flat tummy and a tighter, slimmer waist using permanent sutures. Next, the damaged skin/tissue is pulled down/removed and the nice smooth skin (from the ribcage area) is pulled down to become my new tummy. My belly button is reinserted through this new skin. On my back side, the same pulling and cutting of the skin is done for my hips and lower-back to get rid of any “muffin top”.

Then the focus moves to the areas below the incision. My rear and thighs are lifted and all that extra lumpy-bumpy, cellulite ridden skin is pulled up and removed. Everything is smoothed out and tightened. Essentially in this lower body lift, everything above the incision is pulled down and everything below the incision, pulled up.

I’m combining this with an arm lift with a breast lift which, when done together, my surgeon calls an upper body lift. It also includes that area under the arm on the side of the ribcage where many women have the “bra-overhang” issue (I certainly do!).

He’ll start the first incision at my armpit and continue down the underside (more hidden side) of my arm to the elbow. He’ll remove all extra skin and tissue and leave me with the slender, natural size of my arms (my surgeon is known for his arm-work so I can’t wait!). From there, he’ll continue the incision from my armpit down that side ribcage/bra-line area. He’ll pull that tight and remove the extra skin/tissue. Then he’ll continue the incision under my breast where he’ll "push up" everything for the breast lift. My nipples will not need to be relocated but my areolas may need to be resized to be aesthetically proportional with smaller breasts. Then obviously he’ll repeat on the other side. ;)

So yeah, this is quite the surgery I’m in for. I’m going in knowing that recovery is painful, long and difficult. Won't be able to use my core or arms for at least a month. Because it’s so extensive, minor complications such as infections are high. I’ve also read quite a few times that in the first few days, I will likely regret it. But in the hundreds, maybe thousands of posts I've read, and chats I’ve had with patients, everyone says they’d do it again without question.

It is more expensive than any car I’ve ever owned but we only get one body. And I value mine more today than I ever have. It’s also an insurance policy of sorts. As I’m writing the check each month, I’m certainly going to think back on how I’ve cared for my body that month and consider if I could have done better. ;)

And if you’ve encountered peoples’ negative opinions about weight loss surgery… damn you should see how they react to this! But I’ll save that for another thread. Thanks for reading guys.

Hi guys. :) Most of you know that I'm having my reconstructive, post-weight loss plastic surgery next month. It's coming up quickly and I'm both beyond excited and terrified. It's a massive surgery with a long recovery time and living alone, will come with many challenges.

Since I’ve lost significant weight several times in the past, I already knew how my body would look once I hit my goal. I’ve always known that I’d need at least a tummy tuck, arm lift and breast lift after permanent weight loss to feel confident in my skin. After my weight loss surgery, I knew this is now my time. With the confidence in my new tool, I started my research into plastic surgeons in late spring. After a few weeks of reviewing credentials, before and after pics, speaking with former patients online, I had my “short-list” of 5 surgeons who specialize in post-bariatric weight loss patients. I learned quickly that our skin post weight loss is much different than say a typical “mommy-makeover”. I wanted someone with a ton of surgical experience with bodies like mine.

I had virtual consultations with 4 surgeons (the 5th was retiring before I would have surgery) and they all suggested the same procedures for me. More work than I’d initially anticipated but hearing the artistry and technique behind a lower body lift verses a tummy tuck, sold me 100%. I’m going to describe the procedures a little so if you get queasy easily, you may want to stop reading here. ;)

A lower body lift begins with an incision at hip/pubic level as a tummy tuck would except it goes 360 degrees, all the way around my body. First, my surgeon will separate my belly button from the skin/tissue to be removed. He then lifts the stomach tissue so he can repair my stomach muscles underneath for a nice flat tummy and a tighter, slimmer waist using permanent sutures. Next, the damaged skin/tissue is pulled down/removed and the nice smooth skin (from the ribcage area) is pulled down to become my new tummy. My belly button is reinserted through this new skin. On my back side, the same pulling and cutting of the skin is done for my hips and lower-back to get rid of any “muffin top”.

Then the focus moves to the areas below the incision. My rear and thighs are lifted and all that extra lumpy-bumpy, cellulite ridden skin is pulled up and removed. Everything is smoothed out and tightened. Essentially in this lower body lift, everything above the incision is pulled down and everything below the incision, pulled up.

I’m combining this with an arm lift with a breast lift which, when done together, my surgeon calls an upper body lift. It also includes that area under the arm on the side of the ribcage where many women have the “bra-overhang” issue (I certainly do!).

He’ll start the first incision at my armpit and continue down the underside (more hidden side) of my arm to the elbow. He’ll remove all extra skin and tissue and leave me with the slender, natural size of my arms (my surgeon is known for his arm-work so I can’t wait!). From there, he’ll continue the incision from my armpit down that side ribcage/bra-line area. He’ll pull that tight and remove the extra skin/tissue. Then he’ll continue the incision under my breast where he’ll "push up" everything for the breast lift. My nipples will not need to be relocated but my areolas may need to be resized to be aesthetically proportional with smaller breasts. Then obviously he’ll repeat on the other side. ;)

So yeah, this is quite the surgery I’m in for. I’m going in knowing that recovery is painful, long and difficult. Won't be able to use my core or arms for at least a month. Because it’s so extensive, minor complications such as infections are high. I’ve also read quite a few times that in the first few days, I will likely regret it. But in the hundreds, maybe thousands of posts I've read, and chats I’ve had with patients, everyone says they’d do it again without question.

It is more expensive than any car I’ve ever owned but we only get one body. And I value mine more today than I ever have. It’s also an insurance policy of sorts. As I’m writing the check each month, I’m certainly going to think back on how I’ve cared for my body that month and consider if I could have done better. ;)

And if you’ve encountered peoples’ negative opinions about weight loss surgery… damn you should see how they react to this! But I’ll save that for another thread. Thanks for reading guys.

Brenda,

Thank you for being so open with your posts. I’ve learned a lot by following you. (Not in a stalker kind of way of course. lol)

I have a couple of questions and comments:
Is any of your procedure going to be covered by insurance?

It sounds extensive. How long will you be out of work?

I know by reading your other posts you have a level of emotional intelligence that won’t let you get slowed down by the negative comments of others.

You keep doing you...you are doing a great job.

I’ll be thinking good thoughts for you.

Brenda,

Thank you for being so open with your posts. I’ve learned a lot by following you. (Not in a stalker kind of way of course. lol)

I have a couple of questions and comments:
Is any of your procedure going to be covered by insurance?

It sounds extensive. How long will you be out of work?

I know by reading your other posts you have a level of emotional intelligence that won’t let you get slowed down by the negative comments of others.

You keep doing you...you are doing a great job.

I’ll be thinking good thoughts for you.
Thanks Jen!!! I'm so glad you're finding some of my posts helpful, that's a huge compliment. :)

No, unfortunately insurance will not cover any of this for me. :( But they are all different so if you decided to pursue anything, be sure to check with them and more than once! I was on the phone with them at least 10 times before I accepted the final denial.

I'm going to be out of work for 8 weeks. Recovery time does qualify as a disability despite it being an elective surgery. Logic being no matter the reason for it, you are unable to work. So while I'll be on a reduced salary, FMLA protects my job.

Man that’s a lot of surgery there but when it’s all over I bet you won’t regret it . Wish you a lot of luck next month!

oh baby! that's a lotta cutting & stitching! I actually remember reading about this, being horrified by the 360 degree access, but for some reason, I thought you were only going to do your arms. that much surgery in seattle would be about the same cost as a nice little starter house. I hope you got a better deal. I went in for a consultation to have a necklift & jowls removal, plus laser resurfacing of my deep wrinkles. The surgeon told me it would cost $15,000. I was shocked and of course, couldn't afford it or justify it.

Oh, I had also asked about a panniculectomy and that would be covered by medicare 80 percent & the hospital would donate the balance, but the surgeons wouldn't allow it because my apron wasn't saggy enough, even though my reason for wanting it was the horrible yeast that loved to live under there, that I couldn't even touch without pain & used anti-yeast/athlete's foot cream on it. Eventually I chickened out, even though I'd gotten enough doctors to document the problem with yeast to qualify. But the incision there is from pelvic bone to pelvic bone, or about 180 degrees, and they said it was extremely painful & had a long recovery time.

You're such a cutie, but sounds like after recovery you'll be gorgeous. We'll be here for you. And I'm so happy for you. I've never felt so confident in anyone's success in my life. I know you'll never go back. Good on you!

oh baby! that's a lotta cutting & stitching! I actually remember reading about this, being horrified by the 360 degree access, but for some reason, I thought you were only going to do your arms. that much surgery in seattle would be about the same cost as a nice little starter house. I hope you got a better deal. I went in for a consultation to have a necklift & jowls removal, plus laser resurfacing of my deep wrinkles. The surgeon told me it would cost $15,000. I was shocked and of course, couldn't afford it or justify it.

Oh, I had also asked about a panniculectomy and that would be covered by medicare 80 percent & the hospital would donate the balance, but the surgeons wouldn't allow it because my apron wasn't saggy enough, even though my reason for wanting it was the horrible yeast that loved to live under there, that I couldn't even touch without pain & used anti-yeast/athlete's foot cream on it. Eventually I chickened out, even though I'd gotten enough doctors to document the problem with yeast to qualify. But the incision there is from pelvic bone to pelvic bone, or about 180 degrees, and they said it was extremely painful & had a long recovery time.

You're such a cutie, but sounds like after recovery you'll be gorgeous. We'll be here for you. And I'm so happy for you. I've never felt so confident in anyone's success in my life. I know you'll never go back. Good on you!
Thanks Diane, your faith in me means a lot.

I can't say that I got a deal but I knew I wanted a surgeon who specialized in WLS patients. It's all mine does. His father was a bariatric surgeon and he literally co-authored a book on the subject: Body Contouring Surgery After Weight Loss: 9781886039186: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

If I went to a plastic surgeon who didn't specialize in WLS patients, I probably could have saved about $10,000 but I would have worried about the results. If I was doing this, I wanted it done by one of the best I could find. There are only a handful of surgeons around the country that only do body contouring post weight loss. I'm lucky that I live just 2 hours from one of them. :)

Last edited:

I'm really happy for you. I know that the weight loss surgery isn't an easy way out. I also know it is well worth it. I am sure your next surgery will just as well worth it. Best of luck. Please us informed as often as you can. I will be praying for you

I'm really happy for you. I know that the weight loss surgery isn't an easy way out. I also know it is well worth it. I am sure your next surgery will just as well worth it. Best of luck. Please us informed as often as you can. I will be praying for you
Thank you Cher. I just want to have the body that I would have had without the years of abuse because of my obesity. All this stretched out skin and lumpy tissue that I can't shed with exercise is just as ugly to me as the fat was. I just need this final step to feel complete. I'm willing to make the sacrifices that I'll need to in order to do it.

I'm so happy and scared for you! I can only imagine the nervousness you are experiencing as you are getting closer to Feb. It sounds like it will definitely be painful, but you are one of the strongest people in here and I know you will make it through like a champ. I know you are aware, but we are all here for you! If at any time you need to vent about the injustices of the world, we got you covered. ;) I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!!!!

I have been investigating my skin removal/lift procedures as well, and pretty much going to have the exact same list you just gave. I am likely going to go to Mexico for mine (not a stretch since I live in Southern Cali). I have narrowed it down to the surgeon I will use, and now to figure out the funding! Good thoughts and prayers for you to have a successful surgery and recovery - I can't imagine going thru that living alone. I hope you have a good support system.

I have been investigating my skin removal/lift procedures as well, and pretty much going to have the exact same list you just gave. I am likely going to go to Mexico for mine (not a stretch since I live in Southern Cali). I have narrowed it down to the surgeon I will use, and now to figure out the funding! Good thoughts and prayers for you to have a successful surgery and recovery - I can't imagine going thru that living alone. I hope you have a good support system.
Thanks a lot eladams! May I ask, is your surgeon Dr. Sauceda or Dr. Cardenas? Those were 2 surgeons from my list of 5. I would have gone with Dr. Sauceda in a heartbeat had it not been that I'd be traveling all the way from NY to Mexico alone. Best of luck with your journey and please keep me posted, I love discussing this!!! :)

WOW I’m so very happy for you. Boy I look at my arms and think it would be nice to have all of hanging skin removed at some point. Are they going to do this all in one day? do you know how the procedure will last?
Do you have someone going in to help you afterwards? I’m sure you are going to be in a lot of pain.

WOW I’m so very happy for you. Boy I look at my arms and think it would be nice to have all of hanging skin removed at some point. Are they going to do this all in one day? do you know how the procedure will last?
Do you have someone going in to help you afterwards? I’m sure you are going to be in a lot of pain.
Thanks! It's scary and going to require me to really cut back on my spending to pay off but I think it's worth any sacrifices that I can make. It will be much more painful than anything I've ever experienced but I'm not letting myself dwell on it too much.

Yes, because I'm very healthy and relatively young, my surgeon is doing this all in one surgery. He believes that it will take about 8 hours. He has an assistant who has been with him for over 20 years so they work together like a well-oiled machine.

I am staying overnight in the hospital & then another 2 nights in a nursing facility. My sister will pick me up after that and get me home and settled in. I'll be on my own after that for the most part. My sister will stop over on the weekends to check on me and help me wash my hair (won't be able to lift my arms past my shoulders for at least a month). I know it will be difficult on my own but I'm strong and determined (and quite stubborn). :)

Thanks! It's scary and going to require me to really cut back on my spending to pay off but I think it's worth any sacrifices that I can make. It will be much more painful than anything I've ever experienced but I'm not letting myself dwell on it too much.

Yes, because I'm very healthy and relatively young, my surgeon is doing this all in one surgery. He believes that it will take about 8 hours. He has an assistant who has been with him for over 20 years so they work together like a well-oiled machine.

I am staying overnight in the hospital & then another 2 nights in a nursing facility. My sister will pick me up after that and get me home and settled in. I'll be on my own after that for the most part. My sister will stop over on the weekends to check on me and help me wash my hair (won't be able to lift my arms past my shoulders for at least a month). I know it will be difficult on my own but I'm strong and determined (and quite stubborn). :)
Determined and stubborn are good traits;). I’m the same way. Just glad to hear you will have same help. Remember not to over do it when you are alone.

I’m so jealous of you!! This is amazing!!!! After I loose my weight and keep it off for a year at a steady rate they send me to get my stomach done and my insurance covers it! My sister in law had her stomach done and said it was painful, but I’m thinking after everything I have been through I’ll be able to handle a little more . My hubby already said he will get my breast done too, but I’ll want my breast and thighs done too along with my arms.
mom soooo happy for you!!! Keep us posted please!!

I’m so jealous of you!! This is amazing!!!! After I loose my weight and keep it off for a year at a steady rate they send me to get my stomach done and my insurance covers it! My sister in law had her stomach done and said it was painful, but I’m thinking after everything I have been through I’ll be able to handle a little more . My hubby already said he will get my breast done too, but I’ll want my breast and thighs done too along with my arms.
mom soooo happy for you!!! Keep us posted please!!
Wow, that's amazing that your insurance will cover your tummy! Do you mind if I ask how you found that out for others who may qualify for coverage?

Thanks a lot eladams! May I ask, is your surgeon Dr. Sauceda or Dr. Cardenas? Those were 2 surgeons from my list of 5. I would have gone with Dr. Sauceda in a heartbeat had it not been that I'd be traveling all the way from NY to Mexico alone. Best of luck with your journey and please keep me posted, I love discussing this!!! :)
I am going to with Dr. Alex Galvez... his work is exceptional. I do have Dr. Sauceda on the list as potential back up though.

Back