• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Full Body Lift February 4th

Brenda, I'm rooting for you. Wow. I'll be praying for you. I'm so glad you're able to get this done. The pain sounds daunting, but so be it. I'll learn a lot from you as you go through this.
Thank you! I'm trying not to let myself think about the pain and I've always been a best-case-scenario in any past surgeries so fingers crossed. Living alone is going to be tough but I'm doing a lot of things ahead to make it easier like moving things to lower shelves and doing a big "spring" cleaning over the next couple weekends.

Brenda, I am so happy for you. You have certainly worked hard and you deserve the body you've always wanted.
I can't wait to see your pictures afterwards.
I will keep you in my prayers for a fast healing with no complications.
Thanks Mimi! I'll have to take a few before pics too so I can do a few side-by-side comparisons after. Thanks for the well-wishes, I'm not very religious but I'll definitely take all the prayers I can get for something this major! :)

This is wild. It's like you're getting a whole new body. We should call you the bionic woman. Rants about how this should be covered by insurance aside. Good for you. But I'm curious, as someone who's never had plastic surgery, how does this compare to the bariatric surgery? It's sounds way more intense. Are you more scared about this than you were that?

I'm still not sure if I will do it or not. I certainly won't pay out of pocket for it. However in 2020, the rules are changing, and this will become covered by insurance under certain conditions. So I will have to look into that. But I need to finish my weight loss journey first. I've already lost 150 (90lbs pre-op & 60lbs post-op) I'm 6'3, 240lbs. So still a good 50lbs from where I need to be to be considered "ideal body weight." Then I will explore my options. But I will certainly see how it goes with you first. However, I don't think I have it in me to read thousands of testimonials, like you did.

This is wild. It's like you're getting a whole new body. We should call you the bionic woman. Rants about how this should be covered by insurance aside. Good for you. But I'm curious, as someone who's never had plastic surgery, how does this compare to the bariatric surgery? It's sounds way more intense. Are you more scared about this than you were that?

I'm still not sure if I will do it or not. I certainly won't pay out of pocket for it. However in 2020, the rules are changing, and this will become covered by insurance under certain conditions. So I will have to look into that. But I need to finish my weight loss journey first. I've already lost 150 (90lbs pre-op & 60lbs post-op) I'm 6'3, 240lbs. So still a good 50lbs from where I need to be to be considered "ideal body weight." Then I will explore my options. But I will certainly see how it goes with you first. However, I don't think I have it in me to read thousands of testimonials, like you did.
Hehe, bionic woman, I like it. :)

This is my first experience with plastic surgery as well. You're right, it will be much more extensive & difficult than bariatric surgery was. I'll be under for about 8 hours while my surgeon and his assistant reconstruct everything. Full recovery can take 6 months to a year. Initially I'll be in a lot of pain and then very limited for about 8 weeks.

I wanted to know what to expect, that's why I had to read as much as I could from people who have been through these types of surgeries. I've also watched some surgeries online, although now that we're just weeks away, I'm wishing I could delete those images from my memory. Deep breaths... ;)

Yeah, don't get me started on the insurance coverage... But it is what it is, I want this so badly that I'm willing to accept being broke for 5 years until I have my loan paid off. People keep telling me that they couldn't justify it. But you only get one body, I think it's one of the only things you truly have worth investing in. And I'm thrilled that I'm going for it. :)

Congratulations on your loss!!! 150 pounds is absolutely incredible!

Hi guys. :) Most of you know that I'm having my reconstructive, post-weight loss plastic surgery next month. It's coming up quickly and I'm both beyond excited and terrified. It's a massive surgery with a long recovery time and living alone, will come with many challenges.

Since I’ve lost significant weight several times in the past, I already knew how my body would look once I hit my goal. I’ve always known that I’d need at least a tummy tuck, arm lift and breast lift after permanent weight loss to feel confident in my skin. After my weight loss surgery, I knew this is now my time. With the confidence in my new tool, I started my research into plastic surgeons in late spring. After a few weeks of reviewing credentials, before and after pics, speaking with former patients online, I had my “short-list” of 5 surgeons who specialize in post-bariatric weight loss patients. I learned quickly that our skin post weight loss is much different than say a typical “mommy-makeover”. I wanted someone with a ton of surgical experience with bodies like mine.

I had virtual consultations with 4 surgeons (the 5th was retiring before I would have surgery) and they all suggested the same procedures for me. More work than I’d initially anticipated but hearing the artistry and technique behind a lower body lift verses a tummy tuck, sold me 100%. I’m going to describe the procedures a little so if you get queasy easily, you may want to stop reading here. ;)

A lower body lift begins with an incision at hip/pubic level as a tummy tuck would except it goes 360 degrees, all the way around my body. First, my surgeon will separate my belly button from the skin/tissue to be removed. He then lifts the stomach tissue so he can repair my stomach muscles underneath for a nice flat tummy and a tighter, slimmer waist using permanent sutures. Next, the damaged skin/tissue is pulled down/removed and the nice smooth skin (from the ribcage area) is pulled down to become my new tummy. My belly button is reinserted through this new skin. On my back side, the same pulling and cutting of the skin is done for my hips and lower-back to get rid of any “muffin top”.

Then the focus moves to the areas below the incision. My rear and thighs are lifted and all that extra lumpy-bumpy, cellulite ridden skin is pulled up and removed. Everything is smoothed out and tightened. Essentially in this lower body lift, everything above the incision is pulled down and everything below the incision, pulled up.

I’m combining this with an arm lift with a breast lift which, when done together, my surgeon calls an upper body lift. It also includes that area under the arm on the side of the ribcage where many women have the “bra-overhang” issue (I certainly do!).

He’ll start the first incision at my armpit and continue down the underside (more hidden side) of my arm to the elbow. He’ll remove all extra skin and tissue and leave me with the slender, natural size of my arms (my surgeon is known for his arm-work so I can’t wait!). From there, he’ll continue the incision from my armpit down that side ribcage/bra-line area. He’ll pull that tight and remove the extra skin/tissue. Then he’ll continue the incision under my breast where he’ll "push up" everything for the breast lift. My nipples will not need to be relocated but my areolas may need to be resized to be aesthetically proportional with smaller breasts. Then obviously he’ll repeat on the other side. ;)

So yeah, this is quite the surgery I’m in for. I’m going in knowing that recovery is painful, long and difficult. Won't be able to use my core or arms for at least a month. Because it’s so extensive, minor complications such as infections are high. I’ve also read quite a few times that in the first few days, I will likely regret it. But in the hundreds, maybe thousands of posts I've read, and chats I’ve had with patients, everyone says they’d do it again without question.

It is more expensive than any car I’ve ever owned but we only get one body. And I value mine more today than I ever have. It’s also an insurance policy of sorts. As I’m writing the check each month, I’m certainly going to think back on how I’ve cared for my body that month and consider if I could have done better. ;)

And if you’ve encountered peoples’ negative opinions about weight loss surgery… damn you should see how they react to this! But I’ll save that for another thread. Thanks for reading guys.
Best wishes for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery. How exciting for you!!! And YOU is the optimal word here. Stay strong

Gotta keep this short, just wanted to let you all know made it through to the other side. Requesting meds every 4 hours on the dot to keep pain tolerable. Could be going home tomorrow. Thanks again for all the support guys.
Brenda, You Did It!!!! Now, don't overdo it, listen to the Dr's, take your meds and know that all of us are rooting for you and sending you get well wishes!!

Brenda, You Did It!!!! Now, don't overdo it, listen to the Dr's, take your meds and know that all of us are rooting for you and sending you get well wishes!!
Oh, you can bet Brenda is following instructions to the letter. I never saw anyone so disciplined and lose so much weigh so fast. And she knew she wanted this huge, major surgery to wrap up her dreams, even though she'll be paying the bill for years. But I'm sure she really appreciates your support, Roseanne! Nothing is better than supporting someone who's doing a hard thing! She's a goddess!

Oh, you can bet Brenda is following instructions to the letter. I never saw anyone so disciplined and lose so much weigh so fast. And she knew she wanted this huge, major surgery to wrap up her dreams, even though she'll be paying the bill for years. But I'm sure she really appreciates your support, Roseanne! Nothing is better than supporting someone who's doing a hard thing! She's a goddess!
Diane, when I joined this bulletin board (?) Brenda was always encouraging to others and myself. She made everyone feel welcome. I could tell she was a sweet and special person and her weight loss was fantastic. Since her w/l surgery was in March and I was scheduled for March, I always kept up with her. Then, she start writing about this second surgery and it seemed so far away. When I returned to the bb, she was ready for Part 2. I hope that she'll soon be able to get online a little more to see how much we are in her corner. The people here are so very supportive!! Take care of your surgery--we're rooting for you, too!!

Back