• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi Everyone, I'm Jan. My first time posting this way.

Lap=band is in

the 1st few days after were bad. I had so much gas n feeling blahhh. but now its bn a week n I feel a lot better. no more gas n feeling bloated but i am so sick of protein shakes and jello that i get nauseous at the sight of it. my 1st appt after surgery is Monday. I can't wait.

Gigi50, I've started feeling the same way about the shakes, and I know they are so important for the protein we need. I found a plain, odorless, tasteless good quality protein powder you can mix in soups or crystal lite or even in cereal if your eating that now. I found it on Amazon and you can get samples, not free, to try it. I'm waiting for mine now. Good Luck!

Linney, I've been posting to you but I don't know if you are getting any posts. I'm so new to this and I find it kind of confusing still. Thank you for your welcome. It was nice to receive it. How are you doing? Jan

Welcome to all of you that have joined the forum. We will be here to help any of you as you move forward in your journey.

I know the first couple of weeks can be tough. It gets better quickly; especially as the weight comes off and you get to enjoy many new benefits that come along with the weight loss.

There are so many more benefits that should help lift your spirit and make all of this worthwhile. Here is my list to date:

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless

As new accomplishments happen I keep adding to the list. This brings joy and happiness to me. Do I miss food? NO! I don't deny myself a treat. In fact, each day now I am having a treat. However, I keep it within my 1200 calorie budget. Do I go over a little sometimes, yes. However, with my exercise my net calories is typically below 1200 and often below 1000 calories.

So there is a lot of good fortune, benefits and happiness to enjoy as you all proceed down your path of successful weight loss.

I also agree with suggestions that have been made with respect to talking to your surgeon, your patient advocate, your nutritionist and your psychologist about any issues, such as depression. They can and will help.

Ralph

Hi everyone , I'm really new to all this.

Hi everyone, I am really new to all this "online friends" hope I'm doing it right!
I really wanted to join this group, I am going to have the surgery,but I just found out its not going to be for a few months, big disappointment, I though it was going to be this month. Oh well, all for a reason I guess. Insurance comp. Have there rules.
JAN! WOW ! 30 # good for you ,hope you are feeling better. As they say HANG IN THERE GIRL, You are doing great.
Take Care All , little bites & chew chew chew sip sip sip johnni

Hi Johnni, You are too funny! chew, chew,etc !! I felt the way you when my surgery took 5 months ! But before you know it you will be post surgical. I weighed in today and lost another 6 lbs. making 36 in all !! Incredible! Good to hear from you. Keep in touch....Jan

Guess it didn't get wiped out, see below, LOL

Hi Johnni, I just wrote you a long message and it got wiped out ! I'm still new to this too. My surgery date took five months..I know how you feel, but they keep you so busy with appointments and tests that it goes by fast! Weighed myself today-down 36 lbs! Love your sense of humor-chew, chew, chew, LOL Keep in touch, JanB

Hi. I'm Judy and I've dealt with depression off and on forever. I'm 2 weeks out and I get frustrated. Depression is just another step.
I take meds for depression and they do help. But I've found that what also helps is to focus elsewhere. Like to plan something or to get involved in something. Maybe there is a support group near you. Or maybe you could use a counselor. I've done that and it was the thing I needed. But don't let it grow because depression can take your joy. And you deserve to keep your joy.

Dear Judycc, Thank you for your encouragement ! :I am felling a lot better now. I too am on meds for depression and we had to make some changes. Part of my problem is I don't have a car and I am stuck in the house, alone, quite a bit. I ;have joined this support group and I am going to a support group on Fr. and seeing my therapist tomorrow, who :I wasn't able to see for quite a while for different reasons. So, I am in a much better place now. The weather is changing, which helps a lot. We've had a very snowy, gloomy, cold winter and now it's warming up ! Hooray!
Hang in there-things do get better. Especially when the weight keeps dropping off ! I'm down 36 lbs and it's only 5 weeks ! Stay in touch !

I'm so happy you are doing better. I have had physical pain but the emotional pain of depression floors me. I'm so glad I'm doing better and can have fun again.

Judycc: Sorry to hear you had pain in your body, it sounds like that is getting better. As for the other, I feel that I am adjusting to being without "my drug of choice-food", if you'll pardon the expression. That was my go to for emotional issues and now I can't use it anymore. Big adjustment !! We need to be patient and love ourselves through it and see the courage we had to take this step !

Hi Gigi, congrandulation, you are well into your ALL NEW LIFE. Remember 1step at a time, maybe a different protein powder would be better tasting. Before you know it you'll be into real food.
Take Care Johnni

Hi Jan , sounds like you are doing GREAT. Thanks for telling me it took 5 months, I have been "kind'a" feeling sorry for myself.LOL Everyone says that can happen!!!! OK I need to see the funny side of this , it always helps to Laugh, oh I am so glad I'm not the only one who is new to this Bloging or whatever this is.lol I am trying to learn new things on the "web",it takes me a long time
To get it done,my grandkids don't live close enough to help Granny, I am trying to get into the school (gradeschool) to learn all this stuff.he he.Please laugh with me!
36 # pounds wow you are doing so good, how are you feeling? Is it hard? Boring?
Got to run, take care, johnni

Johnni, Hi there ! Thanks for the encouragement ! I'm learning about this website as I go along too. As far as how things go post-op, they say everybody is different. My experience is challenging to be honest. But well worth it. When I started eating solids I thought it would go better but there are issues. It a learning situation. Remembering to eat slow and not drinking before and after eating is tough. If my mind is occupied, sometimes I forget and then I don't feel so good. But all in all I think it is going pretty well. You just have to be aware constantly and that takes a lot time, preparing and eating slow and cleaning up for a couple of bites !! I have a good friend and also my daughter who had it done ten years ago and they both say it gets much better fairly quickly so knowing them has helped a lot. Take care and catch you later.

Hi Jan,
Sorry its taken so long to get back, but life does seem to get in the way, I 'v had company,and I really think spring is here in westen Colo. and the yard work begins,fun all day!LOL
HOW are you doing? Hope everything is going GOOD OR EVEN BETTER! Keep in touch.
Take care Johnni

Jan and Johnni,

what surgeries have you both had?

When did you have them?

Did you both have psych consultations prior to surgery?

Do you go to support groups?

How often are you being seen for follow up?

I've had a problem with depression. I would like to lose faster. But I've been put on pureed foods after a month of liquids and it's a whole new ball game. Something new to learn every day. And I love that. Also I take meds for depression. Always have. I think sometimes being tired feels like being depressed. Changes every day for me. And it's getting better. Had the sleeve Feb 24. I'm feeling a lot better about it now.

i am depressed witing for insurance approval i need to get going on the surgery.have been depressed since gaining back ahundred of the 200lbs lost post gastric bypass am having a lapband revision. talk to a therapist before u sbotage urself!

i am depressed witing for insurance approval i need to get going on the surgery.have been depressed since gaining back ahundred of the 200lbs lost post gastric bypass am having a lapband revision. talk to a therapist before u sbotage urself!

Hi Abbagirl!

I'm confused. You mentioned post gastric bypass. Did you have a gastric bypass or a lapband?

Cheyenne

post bypass

hi Cheyenne...i am post gastric bypass adn am wiating to have a lapband.thanku for responding!have a great day!!!

Surgery Yet?

Hi Johhni, how are you doing? Did you have your surgery yet or get a date? I have been doing better. Trying to get to support groups but I don't drive and they are too far away for me to take a taxi. But, just keeping on, keeping on. Clothes are hanging, even smaller sizes ! It is worth it ! :eek:

Back