• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi everyone, my name is Cheryl and I am new to this site. Looking for some support!

Cldawson5

Hi everyone, my name is Cheryl and I am new to this site. Had surgery (gastric bypass) a year and a half ago and I am looking for some support. My ability to eat some sugar has returned and I have gained 10 lbs. in the last 6 mos. Please send suggestions my way! Thank you!

Hi Cheryl and welcome, I haven't had surgery yet so I don't really have an answer for your question, but hang on and I'm sure someone will. This is great site for support and info. Sandra

Thanks for the reply Sandra. I did find some very valuable info as I explored the site. Hope things are going well for you, is your surgery scheduled yet? My RNY was the best thing I ever did for myself! I look forward to hearing about your journey. Take care, Cheryl

I dont have a surgery date yet still waiting, hopefully by september. I'm trying to be patient but it is hard.

Hi Cheryl, Welcome. You have caught yourself early, that is good. I am almost 2 1/2 years out and I ran into a little bump. I started to gain some weight back after I started drinking again, partially due to the over indulgence in alcohol but more so because I would also start eating anything when I drank:( noy good. I tackjled that problem and stopped drinking alcohol all together. Enough about me though:eek:.

I guess the first thing to do is cut out the surgars and get back on a meal plan that will get you back to your goal weight, your only ten pounds from there so that will just take some close monitoring of what and when you eat. Staet eating high protien low fay and cut out a majotity of your carbs and when you do have carbs remember to eat those last. Other things to keep in mind are don't drink any fluids 30 minutes befor your meal and 45 minutes after or you will feel hungry again as the fluids will wash your food out of your pouch.

Now with your meal shcedule you need to get regular on when and how much you eat. I eat 5 to 6 times a day and 1 or 2 of those meals will be a protien supplament (shake or bar) and maybe some fruit or nuts with it, then the other meals are small regular meals, taco, burger, fish, egg & sausage or someting like that.

You still have what it takes so dig out some of your meal plans and get back in the groove and don't forget to do some excersises like walking, bycicle, jogging, hiking, swimming, or anything that gets the blood going. You've done a great job. :cool: Tom

Hi Cheryl,

Do you have a support group that gets together from your medical team? I'm sure you are far from alone with your situation.
Are you close with your program's dietician or bariatric RN? Again, I'm sure they hear this often & would love to work with you to get you back on track & healthy again.

Reach out for help through your program if possible. Otherwise contact your primary care physician, you need help to get back on the horse.
You will get back on the horse, you will do what you need to do to make it happen and things will get better for you.

I wish you the best of everything in your journey. You need help to get your tool to work properly again. We will always have to battle to minimize and fight the demons that got us into this fix in the first place. Remember, you can start over and you're not starting over from your highest weight. Have faith & don't beat yourself up.

Its nice to meet you Cheryl! I have yet to have surgery but am going through the process right now. All I can say from all my reading is to be Mindful of your eating! Eat slowly and remember protein is so important. Low sugar, low fat, low carb and high protein.. Plus exercise!!! Keep your head up:)

Cheryl-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your weight loss!!!

I know what it's like to crave sugary foods. There are so many good tasting sugar free foods available that I'm sure you can find a few things that will keep you away from sugar. Try sugar free popsicles, pudding cups and Jello. Plus there are a lot of sugar free drink mixes in so many flavors that taste very sweet. You can put some ice in a blender and throw in a drink mix and a little water to make a no calorie slush. If you use orange flavor and add a tablespoon of non dairy creamer it tastes like a creamsicle :) :) :) But stay away from sugar free baked goods because they are still very high in carbs and fat.

Back