• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am ready to begin!!

Allwright

Hello!

I am new here! My surgery, a gastric bypass, is scheduled for Monday, September 24th. I am both excited and anxious! This has been a nearly 7-8 year decision for me. I started two programs through Cedars Sinai, the first time I decided I should be able to do it on my own (this hasn't worked so well!!) and the next time my mom became ill and I became her caregiver. This time I am so ready for the surgery and starting a whole new phase in my life (just had a big birthday so I feel like this will be a good decade for me!)

Any suggestions from those of you who have had the surgery would be greatly appreciated. I have read a lot and known of people who have had the surgery but many years ago so more current info would be helpful.

I know this is just the start of a long journey, one I am very excited about what happens along the way! Whoo hoo!!

Thanks!

Kathy

Hi Kathy, Welcome. Congratulations on your decision. I think we have all tried the "do it on our own" method and it seems like it always turned out the same:p This will be a life changing event for you and you will have to make a lifestyle change, it will be healthy food choices and portion control from here on out, weight loss surgery is a tool and not a fix all. It is perfectly normal to be anxious, this is a huge decision but it sound like you are ready for it:D Write down any questions you have for your doctors, and follow their instructions carefully and start keeping a food joournal now so you see where you need to make changes. Most of my changes were in portion sizes and choices in what I ate, except pasta:eek: Let us know how things progress. :cool: Tom

Hi Kathy...where are you having the surgery? I am assuming you are in the LA area...so am I...I just had my gastric bypass on July 25, 2012! Doing great! I haven't seen anyone on this forum who is in the LA area. I am excited to share your experience with you! Keep us informed on how you do and good luck! I also looked at the Cedars program years ago, but just wasn't ready then....I had my surgery done at Torrance Memorial, in Torrance, and had a fantastic experience with them.

Counting Down....6 more days!

Hi Kathy...where are you having the surgery? I am assuming you are in the LA area...so am I...I just had my gastric bypass on July 25, 2012! Doing great! I haven't seen anyone on this forum who is in the LA area. I am excited to share your experience with you! Keep us informed on how you do and good luck! I also looked at the Cedars program years ago, but just wasn't ready then....I had my surgery done at Torrance Memorial, in Torrance, and had a fantastic experience with them.

Thanks for the reply! I am having my surgery done at the Chapman Medical Center in Orange. It is a nice small hospital and so far I have been very pleased with the staff and services. Cedars was SO huge that in many ways I am glad to be in a smaller facility. Any words of wisdom for me as I count down the days??:eek:

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the reply and encouragement!! I am counting down the days....6.....until surgery. I know it will be life altering, but I really am excited about what lies ahead. It makes me realize that this time I am ready for it. I had a Pre/Post op visit with a nurse yesterday and had my almost last minute questions answered. Thank you for the idea of starting right away with a food journal. I know from previous diets that when I kept an "accurate" food journal I did so much better with weight loss. It will be good to start at the beginning when the choices are more limited and get into that habit. My doctor has me on a liquid protein diet before the surgery and I was encouraged to have lost 9 lbs in a little over a week. It hasn't been difficult to be on it so I feel better about how the first few weeks will go. Choice and portion size have been my downfalls so it will continue to be something to watch carefully.

Sure appreciate your reply and ideas. You have been very successful....congratulations. Looks like you have a beautiful family and you should be around now for a long time to enjoy them. Good work!! :eek: Kathy

well its nice to see that when someone posts something a lot of people respond to them- guess my posts must be invisible just like I was on FB......... hmmmmmmm............ my life story...:(

Tammi, There are a lot of people on this forum that choose not to respond, or don't have the courage to join. If your posts don't get lots of responses, take a look and see how many times it was read. Sometimes hundreds of reads with only a couple of responses. So you are being heard and what you say is affecting people all over the world. Don't get discouraged.

Thanks Karenina- I still wish people would respond- I mean having gone thru it or being right there near the date of your surgery and all the feeling you go thru and when you figure out something good to eat or have a recipe to share- you think people would want to- in my old age I have become worse- or maybe some would say better with it- I say what's on my mind and if your looking for an honest answer I will be honest- no sugar coating here (lol) and that's just how I am- but it would be nice to have a response sometimes.... Thank you for yours!!!
:eek:

Tammi, most of the people post here a few times and get their question at the time answered and then move on. Some of us stick around and keep offering our support, counsel and answers as best we can. Don't be discouraged because you don't get lots of responses. What I think are my best posts often get no response, while a post that I don't think has much to offer gets plenty of responses.

Frank

:cool:

True that Frank

Sometimes I think that there are only a few people that frequent the board and write replies. Some people tend to prefer to read and not write. There is nothing wrong with that. I am one of those that could chat it up. lol Each person has their own way of dealing with these life changes that everyone of us has to face.

Lots of luck
Sharon

Thanks Frank and Sharon- guess I was just hoping for a bit more support- I do think my dr has a website and after the surgery you can join- maybe that will help as well.

3 days post-op now. Doing ok I think. A little hard to drink i.e. sipping with feeling like burping all the time. Thanks to all of you who have stuck around for us newbies. I'm a big reader not always a responder so thanks to you gabby folks out there keeping the discussions going.

well now you need to be gabby and tell us that are about to go thru the surgery what to expect!! Please~~~ Feel better soon!!! And may the epic weight loss begin!!!!! Your weight is where I am at now and we are both in Fla so keep in touch!!!!! :cool:

I have never had a laparoscopic procedure and I was not prepared for the pressure feeling from the CO2 gas they used. I got shaky and cold when coming off of my pain meds, hydromorphone aka Dilaudid, in between doses. As a pharmacist I recognized it as withdrawal symptoms which surprised the heck out of me having only been on the meds for 1 day. I actually stopped all pain meds once I left the hospital. I had the sleeve so I was able to go home the next day. I received Lortab (hydrocodone) liquid as an at home pain med but only took a half dose to help with coming off of the hydromorphone. Walking sure helps with gas removal as well as taking simethicone (gas X). Pain from the surgery now 4 days post op is surprisingly low I still have radiating left shoulder pain, maybe from my hernia fix or maybe some remaining gas I don't know. Still some uncomfortableness during swallowing some of the time. Was able to go on a 15 minute walk today with hubby and go to movies and the store. Not sure what to expect with a bypass but that's my story so far.

What a difference a night makes. In middle of night I was awakened suddenly with severe pain in my left side by the bottom of the ribs. Figured it was another gas bubble cause their responsible for about 99% of everything else. So I muscle through my day today which was visiting with faraway aunts. This included walking which was able to do with frequent breaks. All the other gas buddies seemed to take the walking as a hint and get out dodge,the one in my side did not take the hint maybe he didn't think he had to since maybe he Is not from gas origin. Alas if he is not of gas origins what could my extremely painful left side poker be from???? Anyone experienced with this. Also this happened the day after a nearly perfect recovery day.

Rxr8d

I hate to hear that you are in pain. I have no idea what the problem could however, I would think the Dr would have given you an emergency number for questions. I would call and talk to the nurse. If it is not bad enough to call then try some of the pain meds prescribed by your surgeon. I had a pain free recovery for the most part except for a shooting pain in my side for a short period of time. Come to find out it was gas/digestive issues. This being the one true time you can say "this to shall pass". I hope you feel better soon and keep us updated.

Best wishes
Sharon

Back