• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

i overate and set myself back!

pjb

I am almost 3 weeks out from rny. last week i wasnt payng attention and consumed about 18oz of cream soup in 30 min. I felt like my pouch was going to burst, alot of pressure and a little nausea and lightheadedness. It passed in an hour or so. but since then i cant put more that a couple of oz an hour before i feel like bursting. before this episode i was able to get 50oz of fluids a day, now i struggle to get in 20. what did I do?

First of all I'd like to say congratulations on your weight loss so far! That's excellent! Not every day is going to be a victory as far as fluid and protein intake. When experiencing those moments of horrible discomfort and feeling sick, it's a reminder that this tool is given to us to re-train ourselves to eat and drink in a timely manner. In the beginning I may have encountered on three occasions the most, that's all it takes, and stopped eating too much, or drinking too soon. I never wanted to feel the way I've felt physically ever again. In time our pouches would stretch out too much if we made a habit of eating or drinking too much and our pouch felt it couldn't take no more.

This is the window of opportunity to listen to your hunger cues, before you're about to feel completely full, stop intaking food, or drink, whatever action you're doing that time. Don't wait until you're going to explode. You felt the negative response to that, so try to eat your protein, wait a 1/2 hour or 45 minutes, and begin to take sips of liquids. Try to get down 8 oz. in 45 to 1 hour, wait another 30 to 40 minutes, and take in another protein item. You're keeping fuel in your body, and also hydrating at the same time.

You'll have this down to the science as time passes by. It will become automatic with preparing and organizing your foods and your drinks. I carry a Brita water bottle with me, which is not only eco-friendly, but also if I need water, I can use it anywhere and have filtered water anytime I made need it. Our minds believe we can still eat and drink the way we used to, but our bodies tell us something completely different. I still to this day when I order food for myself actually believe I can order an appetizer, main course, and a drink, when in reality I have to stop and think and order an appetizer and a salad. These habits were formed a long time ago, so it's going to take time to adapt to your new eating lifestyle, but once you have, which should take a good month or two, you will see and feel the difference.

Keep up the good work and we'll talk soon again. Linney

Last edited:
Linney, I found your letter so encouraging that I printed it off and put it on my fridge. I haven't had my RNY yet. But, I think I will need your letter as a reminder when things get tough. Thanks

thankyou so much linney for taking the time to respond so encouragingly. I find that i dont really know when i am full. I am so used to eating way past that point. And I do find that i think i can eat as much as always. I feel like my head is consumed with how much did i drink, how many grams of protein did i get in, etc. I dont want to think about food every waking hour, that is how i got into trouble to begin with! i realize that in time this will get easier, just at a difficult time right now. I really needed some encouragement, thanks so much.

Hugs to you pjb!

I did something similar with soup too. I am finding it difficult to know if I'm full because my mouth isn't done yet. I think I have to just take it slower. Hopefully with the soft foods I'll be able to tell I'm full better. Hang in there, like Linney said bad eating habits took time and so shall turning it around!

Hi BamaBaby,

If I can help you with your journey, I'm here! As I mentioned before, you will know when you have to stop. Your body will feel discomfort to the point you will hope and pray you can get it out of you and fast! I was the queen of overeating and never feeling full, but with this tool, your body will indeed alert your mind, that "I've had enough" Don't try to take the extra sip or bite....Stop when that feeling begins to occur and it will. At work I still eat alone so I can focus on what I'm eating and how much. If I was busy talking to others at lunch, I would not be mindful of what I'm eating and when to stop. Thank you for your kind words and you'll do great! Linney

Hi pjb,

Listen to your body, instead of what your mind is telling you. Even though we have the old way of thinking when we're eating doesn't mean that your body isn't telling you something different. Your mind will always lie to you and make you believe you can still eat a lot, but your body is going to tell you to STOP! Your body is what you have to pay attention to while eating. You'll know when enough is enough, please don't hurt yourself by trying to put more in. You don't want to feel sick and uncomfortable. The cues are there, your stomach is very very small, remember that while you're eating. Hang in there, and listen to your body!

Linney

What is the purpose of eating? To feel full? No

The purpose of eating is to fuel your body to give you the energy you need to complete the tasks you want to do.

The purpose of eating is to provide sufficient nutrients to your body to effectively carry out all the metabolic processes it does, 24/7.

The purpose of eating is to keep you healthy.

The purpose of eating is to LIVE.

At each meal or snack, put the amount of food you've supposed to have -- per your post-op instructions -- into your bowl, or on your plate. If you have prepared more food than that, leave it in the kitchen; don't bring it to the table. Better yet, go ahead and put the excess in a storage container before you even sit down to eat and put it into the refrigerator or freezer.

When you have eaten that prescribed amount, stop eating. It doesn't matter if you are full. It doesn't matter if you feel empty. It doesn't even matter if you are hungry. What matters is that you know you have consumed the amount appopriate for you (and your pouch) for this feeding. Eating even one bite more is totally not appropriate.

Developing new habits is a PITA. You can do this!You've come too far not to successfully complete the journey.

Developing new habits is HARD. I started working on new habits at the same time my son started the liquid diet for his surgery in August. I'm still working on it.

Qaterra well said! You're so right! Measuring is essential and it gives you the learning curve of portion control. I purchased the rubbermaid containers that indicate the number of oz on the bottom of each container. It was a no brainer to fill these containers with the foods prescribed and eating and drinking what the Nutritionalist instructed pre-op.

Excellent advice!

thanks to you all for the great advice. Linney, you are my hero, you have done so very well. I am going to strive to be like you and take your advice.

If you don't find the maroon topped rubbermaid containers at Walmart, I bought my set at BJ's Wholesale Club. They come in a box of 24 containers. From the smallest to the largest, and as I indicated before on the bottom of each container it indicates how many oz it will contain. I still use them when I pack my bag for the day for work, and also I bought a package of two Brita water bottles. You can buy the refill filters at Walmart, or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. This way you're not throwing away plastic bottles, but re-using the same bottles and can have filtered water anytime! Give it a try and let me know if you find these items.

Linney

Thank you so much pjb:), that's so kind of you to say. You will be successful remember the tips I've shared in my success, and it will be great! It took me one year and five months to take off 200 lbs. If I can do this, anyone can. You'll survive the holidays and feel proud that you did! I learned that even though the holidays are upon us, doesn't give me a "free pass" to eat anything and everything I want. It's still another bariatric day in one's bariatric life. The word "Holiday" does not mean it's a free for all. Last Christmas I entertained handling cookies, pies, cakes, and didn't have one crumb of the temptations that surrounded me. I felt great knowing I have the inner-strength, determination, and committment to overcome these obstacles.

pjb-It's difficult to judge what a "correct" portion size is when it comes to liquids. These pass through our pouch much more quickly than something with texture. I think all of us eat too much of something once or twice. What you experienced afterwards was what is know as dumping syndrome. I've been through this 3 times since my surgery on 2/27/12. Each time was by accident and only took 1 or 2 bites too much. Plus, your pouch is still healing and is still very sensitive this early after surgery. I'm sure you didn't do any "damage". Just chalk it up to living and learning and be careful in the future. Measure out your portions and stick the rest in the fridge. You can come back and have more for your next meal and you will enjoy it much better if you don't get sick from it :) :) :) I still find myself fixing portions that are too large just out of habit. I just put the extra in a container in the fridge and have it later or the next day. My beagle, Molly, also enjoys the "extras" *LOL* She doesn't take her eyes off of me at mealtime anymore because she knows she will get something yummy from mommy Pat :) I've had to put her on a diet twice since I had my surgery *LOL*

Thast is wonderful idea - small marked containers. Back to Wal-Mart I go. I want to be totally prepared.

I get the tiny one cup size that Rubbermaid makes. They have a red twist on lid so you can store liquids in them without worrying about leaking. They looked to small when I first bought them *LOL* Now it's the only size I use and I know it holds the perfect amount for an entire meal when it's 3/4 full.

PJB, I read once that it is not the number of times you fall down that counts, but the number of times you get back up. There are some very good suggestions so far. I have one to add that I hope will be helpful Between each bite of food, set your fork or spoon down and wait 60 seconds after you've swallowed your last bite, before picking up your silverware for the next bite. This slows you down quite a bit and allows you to feel your new stomachs reaction to the food you've provided it. Hope this helps, but regardless, keep getting up and swinging and you'll win in the end.

I have a cubbard full of them containers, mostly because I hate doing dishes but they are great for porion sizes and fit easily in my lunch box or to pre pack foods for the week :cool: Tom

thanks fkrebs. thats a really good idea. and thanks for the motivation! I need to remember that my habits of eating fast, eating too much, eating past satiety, are going to take alot of time to change. one day at a time!

Back