• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm a noob, 3 days after surgery.

fkrebs

Hi everyone,

I had Gastric By-Pass surgery on Wednesday afternoon and am now sitting at home, trying to figure things out. At my largest I hit 393, though the qualifiying process for surgery required I lose some weight. I managed to lose about 16 pounds over 6 months. Once the surgery was approved, I was schedule and then told I would have to use meal replacement shakes for two meals a day for one week and then I would have to replace all real food with the shakes for the last two weeks. I lost 30 pounds in that three week period and I felt good about myself and excited about the coming surgery. When I got home from the hospital, I eagerly jumped on the scale to see my first weight loss, post surgery and I gained 7.2 pounds. Talk about bummed out. I was very upset and didn't know what to think. Had this been any other diet, I would have gone out and eaten. That is no an option at the moment, so I just reflected and decided I would call the doc's office on monday and ask about this. Anyway, I came here to learn from others and provide feedback of my own.

:cool:

Hi!

First, congrats on your weight loss and getting through the surgery! It is very common to be heavier when you come home from the hospital. This is due to fluid within your body. Eventually, this weight will go away and you will see the pounds start melting away. When my dad had it, he came home 10 pounds heavier then when he went to the hospital! It will fix itself, I promise! :) Good luck adjusting to your new body! Very exciting.

Jamie

fkrebs,

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I only had a lapband and I came home from the hospital almost 20 pounds heavier but it was gone by the time I went for my first fill. They didn't even count the hospital wt gain and in fact they told me not to weigh until my first appointment. Then we both laughed because we both knew that is the first thing I would do. Sounds like you are coming along really well.

Hi Fk, Welcome. Congratulations on the pre surgery weight loss, weight to go:D! You are not the only one to have that happent so you are not alone in that respect. It is more than likely water weight put on by the IV fluids you were on in the hospital, try not to worry about it. It is normal to have emotional ups and downs for a few week, I had all kinds of thoughts after my surgery I even though it wouldn't work and I would be the first person who never lost weight after surgery, you'll do fine, just keep doing what your doing. :cool: Tom

Hi fkrebs, Welcome to the forum. I hope you are feeling better today. Besides what everyone said above, there is a lot of variability in scales. Home scales are notoriously inaccurate, usually because we don't spend much money on them, like the fancy ones they have in doctors offices. Just keep doing what you are doing, you will do great. Don't get discouraged. This is a life long journey!

Hi fkrebs, Welcome. Beleive me the weight will come off. Just keep doing what your tx team tells you each step of the way. Like others have said this is a life long journey although I understand that in the beginning it feels like the scale is the most important thing in your home. My doctor's scale always weigh me less so don't sweat it. I also came home weighing more than when I went in. Stay in touch as we all need each other.

fkrebs-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on having your surgery. Just like everyone said, it's not uncommon to come home weighing more. I was in the hospital for 4 days after surgery and had continuous IV fluids. My legs were definately swollen and painful as I had retained 24 pounds of fluids from the IV's. Since my legs were so swollen I couldn't bend my knees and I needed help getting in the car. As I was sitting down my legs flew up into the air like they were boards *LOL* I had some dieuretics at home, called the surgeon's office to ask if it was safe to take them. I was given the OK and the excess fluid weight came off in 3 days. What a relief that was. After that the scale started showing a weight loss almost daily for the next couple of months :) Hang in there, you will be seeing a difference on your scale very soon.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Just knowing that weight gain is normal relieved my stress. Stepped on the scale this morning, don't tell Dr. Enochs, showed me under my surgery weight. The Doc said not to step on the scale, but I get a lot of motivation seeing the weight come off, and if it goes up, it makes me look at what I'm doing wrong. Anyway, still some discomfort but getting out and walking around has been very helpful.

Back