• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm Guilty...

fkrebs

Yes I'm guilty....of failure to take my own advise. :mad: I tell all the new people what a great site this is and if you are having trouble, don't hesitate to reach out. Well, I've been struggling for almost two weeks and haven't even visited here. Today I posted a new blog and here is part of it:

"Probably because over the past week or so, I’m not having any successes. I’m stuck, yup, just like Santa Clause would be, if he didn’t have his “magic” to get him down those small chimneys. When I was going into surgery I talked about using support groups, websites, friends and family to help me through the rough patches, the plateaus, which is becoming a prolonged plateau. Soon I’ll have to start calling it a continent instead of a plateau. After my surgery, I joined the American Bariatrics support website and there are a bunch of good people on it. Do you think I reached out to them, after telling all the new people how great and helpful the board is. Nope, instead I pulled a Touche Turtle and pulled my head into a shell and fought the fight alone. I’m neither winning nor losing, just getting discouraged. So today, I’m coming out, yes I’m daring to say it….I need some help to break this bad streak. I don’t like where I’m at and I want to start that downward journey again."

I have done some things and I think I know what to do, but I could use additional information. I was doing great until I started eating regular food. I'm eating slowly, using a smaller plate and equally small portions. I have not had any issues with eating anything I've tried, with one exception, but I believe that is because I didn't chew the chicken wings properly. I felt bad for well over an hour. I've been very careful since. One thing I haven't done is weigh my food, so today I bought a food scale, which I will be using shortly, when I make my dinner. I also joined a new gym and am now getting 2 to 3 mile walks in regularly. I have to be sure to get all my protein and on my work days, I work 3 days a week, 13 hour days, and I don't get a regular lunch schedule. So it is especially difficult to get the proteins on the weekends. I can no longer stomach the Protein shakes, so I use Isopure on the weekends to make sure I get the proteins in. I've been stuck at 315 and it is frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and I hope you'll forgive me for not asking this sooner.

fkrebs-Try not to be so hard on yourself. My weight loss has slowed down to a creep and I can only blame myself but at the same time I realize that these things happen to some of us. Cudos for recognizing that you need more support in order to get that scale moving downward again :) I think buying a scale is a step in the right direction as is making sure you get enough lean protein daily. I know my problem is with not getting enough protein either because I just find it difficult to eat. I didn't eat much protein before my surgery either so it's very difficult for me to do this on a daily basis.

You seem to know exactly what it is that needs to change. The only other suggestion I can make is to start attending a live support group. I think it would help to socialize with others who are going through the same things that we are.

You might want to try a pouch test. Mainly what it consists of is a couple of days on clear liquids, a couple on full liquids and a couple on soft foods. it kind of gets you started again. There is info out there on it but I think when you buy the kit it just too expensive. As long as you follow the food plan and exercise the weight will come off. Your body needs time to catch up so try not to get depressed or to beat yourself up over it. Questions to ask yourself Am I still committed? Am I eating too much of the wrong types of foods? Am I measuring my portions? Am I avoiding carbs? Am I counting my proteins accurately. They gave me a list of about twenty questions and I periodically go back and read that page. Good luck and buying a scale was a great thing to do. I measure my portions with a divided plate about the size of a cake plate. One half is protein, one fourth is vegetables, and one fourth is carbs if I still have room and I can only have a minimum of 16 carbs per meal. My weight loss is incredibly slow but every month that I go back to the doctor I have lost at least three pounds and sometimes more. I absolutely have problems with exercise due to fibromyalgia, arthritis, and bunions but I do as much as I can. Remember how long it took you to gain all the weight and it may not come off as fast as you would like.

Hi fkrebs, god to hear from you:D Well you pointed out some of your issues so that is a great start and as Pat suggested I too think it would be good to find a live support group to have some good sit down time and face to face discussions.

I may be able to help out out with some suggestions if you would like. I spent a lot of time working long shifts and being on the road my first year post op so I am familiar with trying to get in the protien. I found some high protien meal replacement bars that I would buy by the box that catained about a dozen each and I made sure to keep a couple of boxes in my work truck and in the office. I also kept peanuts around (in the shell, dry roasted etc..), they are a good source of protien and they contain a fat that we can motabalize. If you can tolerate jerky at this point it is also really good to keep around you can chew the heck out of it and it fills us up and is quite satisfying, those were all the non-perishables that can go anywhere. Yogurt is always good to keep around if you have a cooler in your work vehicle or a fridge in the office, cheese sticks and lunch meat work real good, I would slice the cheese in 1/4 long ways and wrap it in a couple of pieces of the thin sliced lunch meat like a taquito or horsde`voure (ordervs, my spelling sucks).

Working out at the gym is great it will help you burn calories and build muscle which in turn makes you body burn calories more efficiently, however that may also make it seem like you are not losing weigh as quick and even extend plateaus as you may gain muscle and lose fat at an equal rate which can be frustrating when you look at the scale but as soon as the body starts to get things equalized the weight should start coming off again, I went through several rounds of that. I hope I was able to help you out a little bit. :cool: Tom

Thanks everyone for the input. I just got back from the gym, where I had a fitness test. So far my BP is way down, in fact I only take half the prescribed amount, otherwise I get dizzy every time I stand up. I definitely need to work on some things, but this is step one. Pat99, I am in a support group, unfortunately they only meet the fourth thursday of the month, so we haven't met since Oct and won't again until Jan. I'm working on starting a support group here in Wake Forest. Maybe that will help as well. Javajoy that's part of the problem, I don't know how many carbs, protein, etc are in the foods. There is no easy chart that I've found yet. I know most restaurants have that info online or available at the restaurant itself. So that helps. Thanks. TwoMas I have been trying different protein bars, still looking for ones that are enjoyable to eat. So far they aren't bad, but they really don't have great taste. I'd love to know which ones you like best. I will continue to work on this lifestyle of mine, and when I need help, I'll come here.

Thanks again everyone.

:cool:

fkrebs-Check out myfitnesspal.com for an easy way to chart your foods. You can even print your reports if you want to take them with you when you visit your nutritionist. You can search the site for foods you use or make your own entries. You can even figure out the nutritional value in your own recipies and share these with other's if you want to :) :) :)

fkrebs,

They gave me a sheet with some of the protein counts for several foods that appear frequently in our diets. An egg is 7 proteins, an ounce of chicken, salmon, and beef is about 7 proteins. Eight ounces of milk is about 9 proteins (I think). One shake made with Unjury and crystal light is 20 Gms of protein.(more if you use milk). When you shop for groceries read the labels, that is something I started doing. Look at the serving size, carbs and proteins per serving. After a while it becomes second nature. I use the high protein pastas and measure my servings very carefully. Our nutritionist also gave us a sheet that gives you some restaurant meals and what you should order and they even have the protein content on them. Of course they prefer that you avoid restaurants but that is not always an option. I eat lots of grilled fish and chicken and eyeball the serving and will take some home or ask for a child's portion. I ask for steamed veggies and avoid the potatoes. Nothing fried. After all this is for the rest of my life and I have found that I don't like fried foods anymore. Good luck. Hope this helps. Read labels and try to make your snacks high protein.

So glad you came out. This is a disease of hiding and shame. Your are getting better you reached out. I weigh everything that goes in my mouth. Even if I think I can eyeball amount, sometimes I have big eyes. What Javajoy said about getting protein amounts in foods. Work with your nutritionist and be persistant. If you don't get what you need, keep searching for resources. There is a lot out there. I tend to eat single foods. So I don't have to read labels much. If you don't, then read everything. I know it takes time, but after awhile you will know what to eat and how much. Good to see you. Sending positive vibes your way.

Back