• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

i'm just getting started

AndreaK

From the time you went to your first seminar, how long did it take to get a surgery date and what were the steps to getting there?

hi Andrea

every state seems to have different rules and time frames of getting things done. I started in Jan, and have went to seminar, support group meeting, nutritionist, physical therapist and had the psychological testing and saw nurse practioner had all that done by March and can't see surgeon til May1,2012 been a long drawn out process but anxious to find out on the 4th hopefully get my surgery date. I would love for it to take place in May, it's been hard waiting it out. everybody on here there journey's have had different time frames some got everything done within a couple of months, depends on your state, insurance and how busy dr office is. good luck on your journey and come back and share with us how things are going for you. I hope your lucky enough to get it done quickly.
Donna

Why was there such a long time? I'm going to a seminar tonight...I hope to find out more

The first time (6 years) was because my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery even with multiple letters of medical necessity from my doctor. The second time (3 months) was after I changed insurance companies. Once your insurance approves the surgery it goes pretty fast. Some insurance companies take 8 weeks to make a decision. I was told it would take my insurance 6 to 8 weeks to respond but was approved in just 24 hours...almost unheard of. From what I have read in this forum I would say it takes an average of 8 weeks after insurance approval to have the surgery.

Your surgeon will be ordering some tests for you to have to make sure you are healthy enough for surgery. Most people need an EKG and clearance from a cardiologist and pulmonary clearance. If necessary you might need a sleep study to determine if you have sleep apnea. Some surgeons order a swollow study to check out your esophagus. Everyone has to have bloodwork done to establish a baseline to compare to after surgery. Bloodwork is repeated every 3 to 6 months after surgery to see if you are getting enough nutrients. You will need to take multivitamins and perhaps some other nutrients for the rest of your life so you do not become malnourished. It's a small price to pay for a new and healthier you!!! I take 2 vitamins a day plus vitamin B complex, vitamin D3 and calcium. Once I have my first follow up bloodwork (6 months after surgery) my vitamins will be adjusted if necessary.

I was at a seminar in Jan 2012. Testing started in Feb and my surgery date is April 23, 2012. Failed the sleep study, so that postponed it. But that was a good thing I guess

I'm just beginning the process. I'm turning 65 in May and can't do much before then. I went to two seminars with two different Dr. There are not a lot of places in FL that are certified "Center of Excellence" that I have to go to because it is a Medicare requirement. One of the Dr.s in the Tampa area will do it at the Brandon hospital and the other Dr. is in FT. Myers but has to do his surgery in Hollywood, FL on the other coast. So I think my decision will be to get it done in Brandon. My first appointment to go over insurance and see what other things I have to do is on May 10th...after that I will know more..but I would really like to get it done in August or September...maybe I'm dreaming but who knows...wish me lucki

Thanks Pat for all the great information..I'm looking forward to this process. My daughter had very sucessful Gastric bypass 5 years ago and she is doing great..I'm hoping for the same results

Hi everyone my name is Micci and I am somewhere in the middle of already started and not finished yet. I am scheduled to see the psychiatrist this week. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Hi Ms. Micci, Welcome. The evaluation is done to help identify where you may have some stumbling blocks and problem areas after your surgery, after I did that I met with the surgons and scheduled an operation date. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Hi micci. I am also in the middle of the process- my insurance requires i participate in a 6 month program with a health coach prior to aproving my surgery. I started that in january. Inn the meantime,ihave seen the surgeon, had a group nutrition class and an individual meeting with my dietician. I also had mymeeting with the pshcyiatrist. It was a 45 minute session where she asked me a buch of questions about my mental health hustory, then wished me luck in my program. I am hoping to get approval for my surgery sometime in august at the earliest. My surgeon isn't requiring any gi studies or a sleep study because i am not having trouble in either things. Ssooo... It is awaiting game.i attended a support group this evening which was realy interesting there were people pre-op. One or two people who had surgery within the past month and several people who had the surgery a few years ago. One woman lost 185 lbs 4 years ago and has kept it off. She looked marvelous.

Hello all, my first seminar was 8 months ago and surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday, 4/23. I'm a bit anxious, but really I think I am more excited. I have been trying to do the liquid protein diet for the last week and a half. I need to lose 10 pounds before surgery date and am almost there. I am a believer in pryer and would like to ask you all to keep me in your prayers. I appreciate it and am sure that this forum will be a great help throughout the next phase of my life. Thanks so much for all of the support and positive comments I read.

My psych test was 600 questions which I passed but they are making me see another psych doctor for food addiction. Okay, like isn't that why I'm getting the surgery? But they said they want me to be successful with my weight loss so I understand. But I have to see the psych doctor for 3 or 4 sessions which has now delayed me from seeing the surgeron. You just never know what road block you will have. I swear if I can make it through all the hoops, I can make it to the end....Just go with the flow :)

From the time you went to your first seminar, how long did it take to get a surgery date and what were the steps to getting there?
I live in Minnesota Andrea, but from the time I saw my physician in June 2011, who recommended I try for the procedure, until I was scheduled for surgery this May 4, 2012 was almost a year.

I wish you the best Karen! I also am a bit nervous, but extremely excited at the same time. It wasn't all real to me until I was actually scheduled for surgery May 4, 2012. Since then I have been online daily learning what is to come, learning about protein products, the stages of eating what when, etc. I have opted for a unflavored powder protein that i can add to my pureed foods, the shots of protein are awful to me. It will be a new chapter in our lives to learn, change, and grow from. I am ready!

Welcome to the forum Ladybicknase. Unflavored protein powder is a good choice but you might want to find 1 or 2 more fllavors for variety. I agree that the protein shots taste awful *LOL* I bought a 6 pack and still have 5 left!!! Someone told me to try mixing it into a cold beverage to disguise the taste.

Make sure to keep us posted on how you are doing on your wonderful new journey :)

I had information class 12/19/2011. Met Doc 1/13/12. had first step class 3/12/12. had psych appt 3/26/12. I got the phone call on 4/13 that my surgery date is May 29,12. I guess from what I aam reading and what I have been told that is really fast. I have done everything as fast and as soon as I could do it... I am In Illinois and I am on Medicare.

Hi Karen, I am feeling the same as you. I have faith that everything will be fine, we will get through it. Good Luck and prayers for you

hi I'm in Illinois also and medicare too

I had information class 12/19/2011. Met Doc 1/13/12. had first step class 3/12/12. had psych appt 3/26/12. I got the phone call on 4/13 that my surgery date is May 29,12. I guess from what I aam reading and what I have been told that is really fast. I have done everything as fast and as soon as I could do it... I am In Illinois and I am on Medicare.

hi
yes your process sure went fast, do you know how many days it took for medicare to give there approval? I have called the dr.office once I finished all the test and appt, they gave me and asked to make sure there were no more things I needed to do to get Medicare's approval they assured me there were none and that medicare didnt require me to do a 6 month pre-op diet.
Did you have to go to nutrtionist and support group meeting?

Back