• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

i'm just getting started

welcome to this site Ms. Micci
you asked what to expect, the psychiastrist testing I had was talked with her a few min, asked what kinds of foods I had been eating and suggested more protien in my diet, then I filled out a questionare on the computer and that was it. They ask repeatedly ? about your eating habits and general ? about life . It was like taking a personality test with food ? as the main theme.
I have finished my testing and see surgeon may4, and hoping to get surgery date soon.
this site is full of information and everyone is so good about answering ? I love comming here to learn more about becomming healthy and what to expect before and afterwards too.
Donna

Is your doctor office a center of excellance for surgery? Tht is the only way medicare will pay for it. I go to support group monthly meeting in Peoria. I see the Nutritionist May 22. week prior to surgery. Did not have to do 6 month diet for medicare. Where in Illinois are you? I am on facebook if anyone would like to ad me on there... Kristy Jefford in Washburn il.

From the time you went to your first seminar, how long did it take to get a surgery date and what were the steps to getting there?

Hi I had everything done in 1 month with the exception of I have 2 appointments left before surgery May 30, 2012

1. I went to my regular doctor & asked for WLS after trying so many diets. With out seconds thought my doctor approve it. Made referal to bariactric surgeon.

2. I called & made appointment meet with the surgeon. He said you need 3 things done.
A. Letter from your primary care physician
B. Bariactric Nutritionist
C. Psychological Evaluation

3. I got all three done. Made another appointment to see the surgeon for a surgery day.
A. I got a surgery day May 30, 2012
B. I got someblood test done
C. EKG test was schedule & I did it already

4. Next a sonogram for my heart since I have big boobs they want to make sure everything is fine & a stress test. The very last test is endoscopy before my actual surgery day.

I started my process with the seminar and then did not go back for a year, after that I would say it took another year and I was part to blame. I did not lose the erquired weight for some time and I took along time to do my sleep study.

Hi everyone my name is Micci and I am somewhere in the middle of already started and not finished yet. I am scheduled to see the psychiatrist this week. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

I had a 15 minute interview then a 50 question multiple choice test. During the interview the questions were pretty general, nothing embarrasing. Some of the questions are related to your eating habits. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure each psychiatrist has a different approach and are driven by the insurance requirements. One lady on this forum said her test had 500 questions...hard to believe since that would take hours. It is what it is and will be over and done with before you know it :)

HI KARENO

I just realized your surgery date was yesterday. I hope everything is going along smoothly for you. I am curious did they allow you ice chips after your got back to your room from surgery??? did they make you drink some liquid diet and do a swallow test the next day after surgery?? JUst curious what all they put you through,
praying for your healing to go smoothly and quickly
Donna

It took me seven months. But I was on blood thinner for a cardiac problem and couldn't come off until cleared by my cardiologist. It Then had to wait to get the time off from work

Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been on the computer much. I was allowed 2 oz of liquid per hour after the surgery and that was all I was allowed the whole time I was there. The swallow test was the week after surgery. To date I have lost 28 pounds and am looking forward to losing many more. The hardest things are spacing out your medicine in 5 minute intervals and the constant taste of the protein (from shakes or bars)in your mouth all the time. Other than that it has been pretty easy to follow the plan. KAREN

Karen, why were you only allowed 2 ounces of water an hour? That doesn't seem like it would be enough to keep you hydrated. How often should I be drinking my fluids after surgery?

I'm not sure of the reasoning of the two ounces per hour, I just know that it was all I could have. Maybe it was to make sure everything was going to stay down. They wanted me to sip it, trust me I wanted to chug the little bit! When I got home I was told I can have 8 ounces to sip per hour.

I remember drinking out of those little cups, that sounds similar to my hospital pre release fluid intake plan.:cool: Tom

I had a 15 minute interview then a 50 question multiple choice test. During the interview the questions were pretty general, nothing embarrasing. Some of the questions are related to your eating habits. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure each psychiatrist has a different approach and are driven by the insurance requirements. One lady on this forum said her test had 500 questions...hard to believe since that would take hours. It is what it is and will be over and done with before you know it :)

When I had to take my evaluation, it took 3 hours for the pages and pages of questions they had to ask me. Everything ranged from my personal life to my eating habits and such. After she went over all the paperwork, they scheduled an appointment. The lady was really nice and and we had about an hour visit. She had me draw specific pictures, one of a tree, a person, a house and my family doing something together. I thought it was weird that I had to draw pics but it was all ok. Afterwards she showed me what each picture meant. The tree I drew had a hole in the center, which is the way I always saw trees with a hole for an animal to live in....she said the hole represented trauma sometime in my past. The other pics were very normal and she said I didn't need to come back and see her unless I needed to come and talk about my past. I think I am good though, I have dealt with my old past for so long it doesn't bother me any longer.

I had mine done under medicare. They only cover 80% so I got a suppliment to cover most of the rest. I was never told the cost. I think it runs $65,000. I was told that any meds in the hospital are not covered. It is real confusing.

While recovering in the hospital you will be on IV fluids so you don't need to drink too much in order to stay hydrated. I was allowed to drink as much as I wanted but because of the IV fluids I didn't feel like drinking much. Besides that I felt very full after only 2 or 3 tiny sips.

I have found Skippy Creamy Peanut butter......great. Very small ball. Tonight I had about a TBs mashed potato's ham baby food and another TBs sweet potato's.

Back