• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Is this normal?

desertgirl

I am wondering if losing such a little bit of weight every week is normal? I am losing only 1 to 2 pounds a week. I try to get in all protein and liquid but I only succeed half the time. I know when the weather gets warmer it is easier to drink more. Is the amount of protein and liquid connected to how much weight you lose?
I really thought this process would be faster. I would love some comments.

I am wondering if losing such a little bit of weight every week is normal? I am losing only 1 to 2 pounds a week. I try to get in all protein and liquid but I only succeed half the time. I know when the weather gets warmer it is easier to drink more. Is the amount of protein and liquid connected to how much weight you lose?
I really thought this process would be faster. I would love some comments.

Protein is key to losing weight and the right kind of weight. If you don't get enough protein daily you will end up losing muscle, tissue, organ mass, etc. The protein also builds muscle and helps you heal from your surgery. The muscle you gain will burn calories faster than the fat it replaced. Another thing is that in order to lose weight you have to eat a certain amount of calories otherwise your body goes into a starvation mode to protect organs, muscle, etc. If you are skimping on your calories you will lose weight more slowly. I had surgery on the same day you did so we are neck and neck on our meal plans. I started eating more about 2 weeks ago and have 800-950 calories a day now. One day I had 1,100 calories because I had an extra protein shake by accident that day. I'm not able to do exercises like walking or aerobics because of a physical handicap so I try to walk around my house more than before surgery. I also plan on going to the Y for water exercises soon. I have a couple of open sores from a couple of bad burns that need to heal before I get into the pool so I'm thinking in about 3 or 4 weeks I should be completely healed.

Bottom line is if you are not eating at least 800 calories a day AND meeting your protein requirements your weight loss will be slow. Some people increase their calories to 1,200 for a few days then drop back to 800 to "jump start" their weight loss. You should probably check with your nutritionist to confirm this just in case.

Pat99,
You are something like an angel on this site. I have read many of your comments and you are right on. I never counted the amount of calories I am eating. I will do that. I basically drink 2 shakes a day and am trying to fit in at least 2 meals a day. My meals are like an ounce of jerky or meat and cheese. I am really trying to get in the liquid but I know, like I said earlier, when the weather gets warmer I will drink more. Thank you for your comment. It means a lot to me. How did you get so knowledgeable? I will consider you my bariatric sister.

Pat99,
You are something like an angel on this site. I have read many of your comments and you are right on. I never counted the amount of calories I am eating. I will do that. I basically drink 2 shakes a day and am trying to fit in at least 2 meals a day. My meals are like an ounce of jerky or meat and cheese. I am really trying to get in the liquid but I know, like I said earlier, when the weather gets warmer I will drink more. Thank you for your comment. It means a lot to me. How did you get so knowledgeable? I will consider you my bariatric sister.

OMG, an angel??? Thank you...My face is totally red and I'm truly flattered. I started to research WLS over 6 years ago so during that time I learned a lot from the surgeon I was planning on using and the Internet on bariatric websites. It's amazing how things have changed over those 6 years. It was a frustrating 6 years for me because my insurance wouldn't cover surgery even with numerous letters of medical necessity from several doctors. Due to my disability I eventually ended up on Medicare so I was able to have the surgery.

I just started keeping a food journal using myfitnesspal. In the past I would just track my calories and protein mentally on a daily basis. My weight loss slowed down so I thought I better start tracking things better. The thing about myfitnesspal is that it is not for WLS people so if you use it make sure you don't eat their recommended amount of calories. 800-900 calories a day are sufficient at this stage then up to 1200 later on. If you exercise you should eat slightly more to compensate. Your nutritionist is the best source of information so don't hesitate to contact him or her for advice.

I was told and my book tells me no more then 3cups of food a day and dont go over 1,000 cals

Yeah, there are differences from surgeon to surgeon. This is a "given". The calorie rule is best to follow because calories and density change drastically from food to food. 3 cups of lettuce has almost no calories but 3 cups of chicken has a lot more. The 3 cup rule (divided by 5 or 6 meals) is more of a guideline so that you won't overfill your new tiny pouch at each meal. If you do overfill it you won't like what happens next *LOL* I can eat up to 1/3 cup of cottage cheese but when I eat a boiled egg my pouch feels like I ate a pail of rocks and gravel and quickly, or not so quickly, "regifts" it back to me *LOL* Not a pleasant experience by anyone's standard:(

Hi desertgirl, My doctors sent me home with a tree ring binder with sample meal plans and list of foods I could eat based on my stage post surgery, it really helped me plan what I wanted and transition smoothly from liquid to soft foods to regular food. It also spelled out how much fluid I needed, grams of protien and calrories a day. I use it as a refrence still when i am trying to figure out what foods have how much protien/calories in them when I buy bulk foods. :cool: Tom

I had the same question myself, I am eating 3- 2oz meals a day plus the protein drinks. I am supposed to drink three a day some days only get two of them in. Weight has stayed the same for a couple days now. I am wondering if maybe I shouldn't weigh every day so I don't get discouraged.

I was told yesterday to eat 2-3 oz a day and try to reach 600 cals per day, but i know this wont happen over night. also 1 egg is an oz of food, just throwing that out there

I logged on today for the first time looking for info. You ladies are a great source of information. i look forward to reading more. God Bless. Good Night.

I didn't get a book, but I have an online guide from the surgeon. I still have trouble getting in protein, and I have noticed my hair is thinning somewhat.

I weigh myself every saturday morning and have been loosing 4 lbs a week consistantly. And I eat far more than 3 oz of food a day. Six to seven small meals a day. I think it's going to very for everybody. Guys in general loose weight faster than females anyways. At 1-2 pounds a week at least your loosing and you've got to be happy about that.

And I eat far more than 3 oz of food a day. Six to seven small meals a day.
We should be eating more than 3 oz a day, putting 3 per meal or so. I was told no more than 1 cup of food total per meal. If I am still hungry after that then to get a 1/2 cup.

I, too, am full of questions and frustration. For the past five days, I've had the most protein and fluids to date since the surgery and am UP a pound. HOW ON EARTH IS THIS HAPPENING? I don't want to be discouraged, but I lost 61 lbs. on my own (quickly) before surgery and feel like the past five weeks since my surgery has slowed everything down. I've only lost an additional 25 lbs and I hear about people dropping 20 in their first week. I feel like I'm doing everything right and yet... :/

Back