• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

just got home from gastric sleeve surgery.

reylr67

Had my gastric sleeve surgery Friday and just got home from the hospital. It went good, except they couldn't find a vein so when i was asleep they poked everywhere including my feet and couldn't find anything so I woke up with a central line in my neck. First day got up and walked 15 laps around the ward. 30 laps is a mile. First night had terrible had pains throughout the night, I needed the pain medicine around the clock the first night. Saturday was easier. Drank about eight ounces Saturday,1 ounce every fifteen minutes or so. No vomiting or nausea at all, just gas pains. Saturday night was much better, since i was able to drink they stopped the passion injections. I only needed Lotab liquid once in the night. Today they removed the drain and central line and i got to come home at about 1:30. I feel good. I am on clear liquids and tomorrow can go back to liquid diet I did two weeks before the surgery. I have been sipping on 6 ounces of grape juice for about thirty minutes. So far, so good. I am looking forward to when i get to incorporate some pureed foods.

OK, I am on my computer now, so let me fix the strange words above from possessed phone, lol. First night had terrible "gas" pains. They stopped the "pain" injections. I was getting Dilaudid IV for pain the first day and night. The first night the pain was so bad that I was asking for pain medication before it was due. It was every three hours and two times after two hours I was just in so much pain. Thank God that part is over. I feel great right now. Just keeping my juice with me and sipping it to be sure to get in my fluids. The protein is extremely important, but for these next few days maintaining hydration is more important. As the weeks progress I will be able to incorporate more protein and work my way up to 60 or 70 grams a day, but again, per my doctor and nutritionist, they both say in the first few weeks concentrate on staying hydrated and try my best to work in as much protein as possible, but I won't make it to the 60 or 70 grams a day for probably 2 to 3 weeks out. I am looking forward to the days to come. I am off for 3 weeks, so maybe I can do some art work and catch up on some reading.

Reylr-Congratulations on your decision to have WLS. I can certainly empathize with so many pokes to find a vein. I forget exactly how many times I was poked but I'm thinkin' it was around 28 before they found a good vein. They rotated 3 teams of 2 people so that each team had no more than 2 attempts before the next team tried. What bothers me is that I had hip surgery on 4/2/13 and they found a good vein the first try, go figure!!!

Keep drinking those fluids and let us know how you're doing.

Congratulations on your successful surgery. The first few weeks are hard, not to mention the immediate post-op period. It will all be worth it in the end.Enjoy your time off.
P.S. I guess I should feel lucky that I only got stuck 9 times for my IV.

Hi I was thinking about getting the sleeve and would like your feedback as to way you choose the sleeve?

Hope your feeling well?

Welcome to the board and congrats on your surgery. Like Missirene said, the first few days are the roughest, but now that you're home it gets better. Just keep following your Dr's advice and you'll do great. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Lori, well I researched all the WLS available and I am also a registered nurse, I thought that the sleeve would be best for me because I didn't want to change the piping and the risk of dumping syndrome. Today is day give post OP and an feeling good, except I am tired of the liquid diet. I want real good,lol. I am drinking about thirty two ounces of water a day, I am short at least 16 ounces but I will get there. I am having a hard time with the protein shakes, I can't stand the taste, but I am forcing myself to drink at least one can a day, which is 35 grams of protein which is short, but my doctor said first few weeks post OP, most important is hydration and protein will not be met for several weeks post OP

Hi,
Oh how I remember hating all the protein shakes I tried after surgery. My tastes must have changed because of the surgery, because some that I liked before I hated after! I have really only found 1 that I like and that's Unjury Chocolate Spendor. I liked the Unjury Chicken soup when I tried a couple of samples and bought a container and again, my tastes changed and I hated it. I ended up giving it to a friend who had the surgery before me. I just kept reminding myself it isn't forever and was very thankful at each stage where I got to add new foods. Best of luck to you!

Back