• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just joined today!

Sigourney

I am scheduled for surgery in July - I know it is the right thing to do - but I still feel uncertain of what to expect the first few weeks and beyond.

Hi Sigourney,

I don't know about your area but we had nutrition classes, and pre surgery classes to attend. I learned a lot from the first bariatric seminar held at my Center. The brochure they provided was an excellent overview of everything to expect. I did a lot of searches on the internet and researched all the different surgeries and talked to many people who had had surgery already. If your center has a support group you will benefit if you are able to attend. All the classes were informative and I still had questions. Never stop asking. Welcome to the Forum and good luck on your journey. Joy

Sigourney,

Welcome...I don't have surgery date yet....but I am hopeful that it will be approved soon.

I know the feeling about wanting to know more ... seems like I don't know enough. I read read read

gayle-n-reno

Hi Sigourney,

I'm 8 months post op and still feel like I don't know much. I think it's just the way we're wired. The best thing to do is to follow the Dr. and Nutritionists plan, walk as much and as soon as you can after surgery. It helps with the gas pain and promotes weight loss. I would suggest to start making the changes in your life, that you'll need to do after surgery, now. It will help with the adjustment post surgery and it's never too soon to start making new, healthy habits. Good luck and keep us informed.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Sigourney

This journey can be a little overwhelming at time. If you have any specific topics about what to expect just post. Someone will help you. I am just over a week past surgery and doing great. I know you will do great too.

Best wishes
Sharon

Hi Sigourney. I too am scheduled for surgery in July... Lap Band. I too know it is the right thing to do, but wish I did not have to go this route. I am trying out the pre-surgery liquid diet and some of post op diet to be sure I can live with this. I feel sad that I will not be able to continue to eat some of the things I love. How do people feel about this loss?

beccar54, Since food is pretty much the most important thing in our lives, expect some grieving over the loss, just like any other loss. With time, you should be able to add new things to your meal plans. Just be self-aware and make sure you get the proteins in first, then vegetables, then carbs.

Back