• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Liquid diet

ascooke63

Hi all,
I'm trying to get stocked up on things for the Liquid diet, I know I'll have a pre-op class but I figured some of you could tell me also. What are some things you can have besides Broth, Suger-free popsicles, and Jello ? What about V-8 juice ? Thanks for your input. Sandra

Hi
They said you can have V-8 juice but I'm asking the same question because I'm having surgery in a week & I want to know. I put tomato soup in ice cubes. Does anybody else know what else I can put int ice cubes??? I would like to be prepare. Thank you I'm a little scared.
Cathy

HI Sandra, I could have protien shakes, milk, yogurt or pureed soups for my meals, V8 wasn't on my list but make sure to ask when you see your nutritionist. I had to do the liquid meals for a week and then a pure liquid diet for the 24 hours before surgery, that was tough:mad: it was just broth popcicles water and jello. :cool: Tom

For pre-op liquids I was allowed to have V8 juice, tomato juice, popsicles, Jello, clear broths, water, milk, diluted fruit juice, coffee, tea, any brand of sugar free drink powder mixed with water. You will be given a complete list of what you will be able to haev before and after surgery. The liquid diet changes a day or 2 before surgery so be aware of that. They take caffeine away at a certain point in time and you won't be able to have anything to drink the night before surgey or the morning of surgery.

Since you won't feel like having much of anything for almost 2 weeks after surfery you won't need to stock up too much. But remember to sip liquids throughout the day after surgery otherwise you will become dehydryated and end up back in the hospital on IV fluids. 80% of bariatric surgery patients who return to the ER for an issue after surgery are there because of dehydration.

Hi. My surgery is August 6 for a bypass. I am supposed to have the bariatric advantage protein shakes up until August 5, and broth only on August 5.

I hope they gave you a few other options besides bariatric advantage shakes, there are a few out there and even though you may like them now you may not after the WLS, check into EAS low carb it comes in powder and pre made, Unjury protien powder I have heard great things about it, and Chocorite powder it is my fave and I get it from bariatric choice follow the link, http://www.bariatricchoice.com/healthsmart-chocolite-sugar-free-shake-mix.html Most of these mentioned are made for bariatric patients. :cool: Tom

Back