• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Louc

Louc45

No surgery date yet. All tests completed, I will be having bariatric gastric bypass. I need all the help I can get.

Hi Louc, welcome to the board. I had RNY on Oct 17th of 2012, second best decision I ever made (marrying my wife was the best). So what can we do to help you? All you have to do is ask and we will reply. Don't be bashful, we're certainly not.

Frank

:cool:

To prepare for the surgery I asked a lot of questions and did some research online. I also have a friend who'd already had the surgery. So I asked him a bunch of questions too.

Frank

How did you prepare in respect to eating before the surgery? Did you start dieting immediately, or did you wait for a surgery date? How soon after your required visits did you get a surgery date?

How did you prepare in respect to eating before the surgery? Did you start dieting immediately, or did you wait for a surgery date? How soon after your required visits did you get a surgery date?

Welcome, Louc and good luck, in my case I was required to lose twenty pounds before getting a surgery date and had to attend several seminars on nutrition and the surgery before hand. I did manage to loss thirty before thanksgiving and maintained that loss over the holiday season. The doctor's schedule was booked until the middle of January. So its not as cut and dry as one would think, but still the best decision I've ever made.

There is a great deal of information here. You can always post a question but doing a search, in a forum of a topic, will access past posts in that forum.

Last edited:
to get ready for surgery I am doing allot
* low fat balanced diet (yep losing weight)
*started walking and that feels great
* read everything I can
*watch surgery online
*ask tons of questions
*purged the house of all things that can cause a detour

My surgery was tentative for May but due to unforeseen schedule issues it is in June now
After the last appointment it took my insurance a couple weeks to clear me

Hope this helps
Best wishes

I see that you had the sleeve. I have a question that is very important to me. I am understanding that I can eat most foods after the sleeve. I am an emotional eater. I know there will be very little hunger with the sleeve, but what about the emotional part?

I see that you had the sleeve. I have a question that is very important to me. I am understanding that I can eat most foods after the sleeve. I am an emotional eater. I know there will be very little hunger with the sleeve, but what about the emotional part?
Boredom is my Achilles heel, but its difficult to over eat with the stomach reduced in size. But it's not impossible, if you eat constantly you will gain weight. The only answer is self discipline and routine, eat only three meals a day at set times and keep yourself occupied during the day, you don't have to let your emotions rule over you. Take control and keep your weight loss goals foremost in your mind. Remember the reasons you set yourself on this path and don't lose sight, health, diabetes, fear of incapacitation, self image, in my case wanting to be more capable in my approaching elder years, what ever your reasons, never ever give up. The type of operation doesn't really matter in my opinion; The operation is only a tool to help you achieve your goals everything else is between the ears.

You are not alone. Learning new ways to deal with your emotions can be the most challenging as this is why many of us ate. At first you won't be hungry, but as time goes on you will have normal hnuger. The challenge is knowing when you are physically hungry or if it is head hunger. If you eat and it hurts, as it can with the sleeve, you will know and try and figure out what is going on emotionally. I take each day as it comes and try to live in the now. As your journey progresses you will know your triggers and develop alternative ways of coping. One step at a time. There is a great deal of information on this site as well as tons of information online.

I think I'm going to stay with the bariatric surgery. This way I can't eat foods that I really don't want to eat. What do you think

Louc, I originally wanted the sleeve, but my ins said no, but I could have the RNY. So glad I made that choice. I haven't had any sweets and really haven't craved them. I don't want to have to deal with dumping at all, so I simply avoid them. I know if I can have some, then I will fail, because I'm addicted to sugar and sweets have ruined every diet I've ever tried. So far, doing well.

Frank

I am so glad you got back to me...I too am addicted to carbs..better that I can't have them then to have to make a decision at a weak moment. Stay strong

In my case, I started life style changes the day after I attended my second bariatric seminar. I started acting like I already had the surgery, Journaling my food intake, not drinking during meals, chewing my food, giving up the bad carbs. I think if you are not willing to start NOW that the surgery won't work. In other words, if you are waiting for the surgery to be a magic pill you will fail. And I don't mean "you" like You, Louc, just people in general.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but I think you should consider bypass over the sleeve because there is no dumping syndrome with the sleeve. Also I understand that sweets are harder to consume with bypass, so if you are an emotional eater and addicted to carbs, the bypass may be the better choice for you. Just sayin'

Karenina, No date yet? You live by your words. It is obvious you have established a plan with the amount of weight you have already lost. Louc45 I had decided that the sleeve was for me before I met with my surgeon. As the above posts state. you if you are going to eat with either surgery who will eventually gain weight. I think you could benefit from talking to the psychologist about her concerns. Wishing you all the best

Back